Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Car starts charging before scheduled time

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

kelvin 660

White SR+ with LFP battery
Aug 21, 2020
Stonehouse
I've had my M3 SR+ for a couple of months now but for the last few days it starts charging shortly after plugging in the charging cable and not at the scheduled time of 00:30 hrs, to get off-peak electricity!

The screen says that it will start charging at 00:00 hrs but almost immediately starts to charge the car!

I have set the Tesla app to notify me when it starts charging, so at least I can stop it from charging. When I cancel charging it will actually charge at the scheduled time.

I have rebooted and powered down the car but it's still happening...

Any ideas what to try next?

I'm running 2020.44.10.1 and my car started charging last night as soon as I plugged it in despite being set for departure mode at 530am. I can only gues that it had so few miles to charge (it was on 99% when I plugged it in, that it just went ahead and finished charging. I'll see tonight when I get home with 40% battery.

That's an odd one. Maybe check there's no conflict between a departure time and a charging period time ... you can't have both set. Also, is it really starting a full charge or is it just doing 30 seconds before stopping and waiting for its timed period? I would have thought that Tesla service would be able to get some data that shows whats going on if you can't resolve it yourself.

I had this and formed a theory that I have yet to test.

Empirically I noticed that if I plugged in at certain times of day, it would start charging immediately, otherwise, it would wait for the scheduled time. I wondered if it was say >12hours from charge time, it would just charge, but closer to schedule, it would wait.

As I say, just an untested theory. Certainly a long standing observation so not a recent update.

Reactions: hcdavis3
I wonder what the car uses as a cut off time for these situations.

Because 5pm (for example) is indeed after the previous midnight as well as before the next midnight. So does it start or does it wait. I know what common sense says but what logic is it using. The maths internally can also get confusing if it converts between different timezones.

This can cause all sorts of strange behaviours depending on what logic Tesla use.

Try setting the start time to 11:59pm just to see.

Apologies, I just reread the detail of the OP.

I've had my M3 SR+ for a couple of months now but for the last few days it starts charging shortly after plugging in the charging cable and not at the scheduled time of 00:30 hrs, to get off-peak electricity!

The screen says that it will start charging at 00:00 hrs but almost immediately starts to charge the car!

There is an issue with the display and the actual charge time getting out of sync. I cannot remember the exact flow, but iirc, the set charge time has two screens, one to set the charge time on scroll wheel, and another one, possibly a confirmation screen.

You need to make sure that both screens are in sync, but I cannot remember what sequence is needed to achieve this. But by not doing whatever it is, it is possible to set the time and it not be set.

A few minutes giving it a try and it should become obvious.

Last edited:
FWIW mine just started doing this recently as well, after the update to 2020.44.10.1

If I stop it charging immediately via the app it then does wait till the scheduled time before starting again.

Not been in the car since Friday but am planning to have a tinker with the settings, disabling then re-enabling scheduled charging sort of thing to see if it makes any difference.

It had never done it at all prior to the latest software update.

Apologies, I just reread the detail of the OP.

There is an issue with the display and the actual charge time getting out of sync. I cannot remember the exact flow, but iirc, the set charge time has two screens, one to set the charge time on scroll wheel, and another one, possibly a confirmation screen.

You need to make sure that both screens are in sync, but I cannot remember what sequence is needed to achieve this. But by not doing whatever it is, it is possible to set the time and it not be set.

A few minutes giving it a try and it should become obvious.

I've been experiencing the same issue these past few days. I can't see anywhere that there is a second screen where you confirm the charge time. It seems to me something has changed that is causing schedule charge to malfunction.

Reactions: JeffnReno
The second screen is basically an overlay of the first one. Its part opaque, so you can see through it and see the other start time.

I suspect OP is staying at 00:00 as that is the default starting time so if it never actually changes, it will stay at the original 00:00 setting.

The second screen is basically an overlay of the first one. Its part opaque, so you can see through it and see the other start time.

I suspect OP is staying at 00:00 as that is the default starting time so if it never actually changes, it will stay at the original 00:00 setting.

Mine's been set at 2am for a long time and not been changed. It's only in the last few days it's started misbehaving.

It always amazes me that Tesla manage mess up a feature that been working OK for some time. And then do it again :mad:
And again - this is the third time in the 15 months I’ve had the car that a software update has buggered the charging reliability. Not for me though! I went straight to 2020.44.10.1 and my scheduled charging has been working fine. I’m on Octopus GO Faster so set to charge at 20.30.