Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Car starts charging before scheduled time

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Until I read these recent posts I was concerned that my charger had developed a fault (2020.44.10.1)

I set a timer (Zappi app) Saturday 4pm for the Agile zero rate that night & the car immediately started charging. I stopped it in the Tesla app, re-checked my timings but half expected that the charge would fail at the set time.

It didn't...it worked.

New What time does your app say charging will start (under the picture of your car)?

Mine's set to 00:30 am and I haven't tried a later time say 2:00 am to see if that make a difference...

I did try to make my "HOME" position closer to where I park is actually kept using my neighbours address instead of mine becuase I heard that when using a public charger it starts charging straight away due to geofencing. Unfortunately that didn't make any difference and it started to charge about 5 mins after I plugged in the cable when I got home today!

I wonder whether is worth making a service request for this issue??

When I set a timer with the Zappi app, the car screen (which I don't check) says something like waiting to charge or charge delayed. The car never shows the scheduling set on the charger, nor would I expect it to.
Thats your problem...just turn the car charging times OFF if you are you letting someone else control your charger (e.g. Agile). Otherwise use your charger as a dumb charger and use the car settings...which helpfully do appear in your Tesla app. Ideally let ev.energy control one or tuther.

Until I read these recent posts I was concerned that my charger had developed a fault (2020.44.10.1)

I set a timer (Zappi app) Saturday 4pm for the Agile zero rate that night & the car immediately started charging. I stopped it in the Tesla app, re-checked my timings but half expected that the charge would fail at the set time.

It didn't...it worked.

If the Zappi is set to control the charging then the car can't override it and start charging ... there just won't be any power available from the charge point until it reaches its set times. I'm therefore thinking that in your instance it may be a different issue perhaps.

Thats your problem...just turn the car charging times OFF if you are you letting someone else control your charger (e.g. Agile). Otherwise use your charger as a dumb charger and use the car settings...which helpfully do appear in your Tesla app. Ideally let ev.energy control one or tuther.
I have never used the car to set a charge timer, only the Zappi but in this instance the car started charging instantly.The timer was correctly set & once I used the Tesla app to stop the charge, it worked as planned a few hours later.

I will call Myenergi tomorrow and ask why this could be. The only difference to previous timed charges is that I am now on 44.10.1 but as Adopado mentioned, the car shouldn't have known a charge was due - maybe the Zappi triggered something that I then cancelled?

I didn't look at the car screen as I was elsewhere in the house when all this happened & I've never needed to check previously (many dozens of home charging sessions since April, always via the Zappi app including a couple using the new Zappi-Agile 'budget' feature)

This has been happening to me since last update. Mine's set to charge at 00:30 and works fine if car isn't moved but as soon as I drive and return, within 5 minutes it starts charging despite the screen saying it's set to start charging at the off peak time.

I've now added the alarm on my app when it starts charging so at least I'll be reminded to stop it.

I just hope it now doesn't wake me at 00:30 to tell me it's charging :)

This has been happening to me since last update. Mine's set to charge at 00:30 and works fine if car isn't moved but as soon as I drive and return, within 5 minutes it starts charging despite the screen saying it's set to start charging at the off peak time.

I've now added the alarm on my app when it starts charging so at least I'll be reminded to stop it.

I just hope it now doesn't wake me at 00:30 to tell me it's charging :)

So a further update. I have just noticed that my home location was showing about 200m from where my house is actually situated. I've tried resetting the home location but the GPS insists my house has moved (I can assure you it hasn't). So I've now changed my home location to where the map is saying the car is parked. That seems to have resolved the instant charging issue and is now set for a 00:30 scheduled charge. At some point I'm expecting the home point to change again (maybe when Tesla do another update) so for now I'm keeping the app alarm set as a reminder for when the car starts charging.

So a further update. I have just noticed that my home location was showing about 200m from where my house is actually situated. I've tried resetting the home location but the GPS insists my house has moved (I can assure you it hasn't). So I've now changed my home location to where the map is saying the car is parked. That seems to have resolved the instant charging issue and is now set for a 00:30 scheduled charge. At some point I'm expecting the home point to change again (maybe when Tesla do another update) so for now I'm keeping the app alarm set as a reminder for when the car starts charging.

Some sort of GPS issue sounds like a plausible cause but what ‘home’ setting are you changing? The only one I can see is in the navigation. I think the car remembers the settings based on where the GPS says it is rather than any manual setting in the nav. My GPS is slightly out but only by a few metres.

Some sort of GPS issue sounds like a plausible cause but what ‘home’ setting are you changing? The only one I can see is in the navigation. I think the car remembers the settings based on where the GPS says it is rather than any manual setting in the nav. My GPS is slightly out but only by a few metres.

I've had the car since September and when I got it I entered my home address as the home location. Until last week it's been fine but for some reason now my 'Home' location is showing 200m away (if I navigate to home it wants me to leave my drive and go a bit further up my street). I've now tricked the car into thinking it's 200m in the other direction by setting the home location there instead and all seems well :)

Myenergi tech have advised why I experienced an issue with immediate charging - I had been using the Eco setting, not Eco+.

Because the house batteries still had around 20% & it was late night with the house drawing very little, 1.4kWh was available for an immediate charge which overruled the timer.

Always setting a timer when the Zappi is in Eco+ will stop this happening & the reason it's never happened before is that my normal default is Eco+ but I had used Eco a few days previously.

I believe this only happens in certain circumstances (PV) & is related to the fact that my FIT meter is import only*, not dual so the Zappi CT clamp sees the flow from the batteries as if from the grid.

(*other issue with that is that I cannot legally force charge the batteries during Agile plunge periods...even though I know it's possible. If I did that the FIT meter will read the charge as if it came from the solar panels & I would be paid. Therefore I don't do it).

Are you sure the car is charging, and not just taking in juice for the heating?

I usually set mine to charge at set time, but it starts drawing current as soon as it is plugged in...When I shut the door and walk away, the fans stop and the current goes back to zero. If I open the door, the fans restart and it starts pulling juice again...

(I also have a power wall so I can see the "house" consumption)

I am using a dumb charger

In my case I get notification via the app that the car has started charging and it also shows as charging if the screen is still active, so reasonably sure it is charging and not doing anything else.

Just to see if it made any difference I've changed home location a couple of times, reset scheduled charging a couple of times and rebooted a couple of times but no change, it still starts charging on being plugged in rather than waiting till 0030am.

Ah well, will see what the next software update brings...

I usually set mine to charge at set time, but it starts drawing current as soon as it is plugged in...When I shut the door and walk away, the fans stop and the current goes back to zero. If I open the door, the fans restart and it starts pulling juice again...

(I also have a power wall so I can see the "house" consumption)

I am using a dumb charger

It’s definitely charging and will keep going until it hits the set limit unless you stop it.

mine is doing the same it started last Saturday the 14th. I didn't charge the Friday and it was ok on the Thursday, I have scheduled an appointment on Tuesday lets see what happens. I tried charging today at work using the Tesla charger thats supplied in the boot and setting the schedule but the charge still started after 9 minutes. One other thing to note is that I purchased my car on the 15th November 2019 so now the premium connectivity has ended, is that just a coincidence?

mine is doing the same it started last Saturday the 14th. I didn't charge the Friday and it was ok on the Thursday, I have scheduled an appointment on Tuesday lets see what happens. I tried charging today at work using the Tesla charger thats supplied in the boot and setting the schedule but the charge still started after 9 minutes. One other thing to note is that I purchased my car on the 15th November 2019 so now the premium connectivity has ended, is that just a coincidence?

My premium connectivity ended ages ago. I’m sure it’s a gremlin in the latest software update. Let us know how the appointment goes.

We literally just got the 2020.44.15 release. Immediately before (same timestamp) we got the installation complete, we got a charge complete at 75% message. Our SoC limit is 71% so that shouldn't have happened.

upload_2020-11-19_21-22-10.png

No evidence in TeslaFi of a charge - wasn't logging at that point due to install. And no evidence from our energy logger of any increased in energy use over that period. So if it was a charge, it wasn't for very long.