Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Car starts charging before scheduled time

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I also reset my Tesla password and its been 3 days where the car has been charging normally.
I also reset the TeslaFi access password without any issue.
If you've got this problem I would recommend reseting the Tesla password...

Ok will do. Thanks

Just spotted more charging notifications on my iPhone an hour after I stopped it earlier. Has now fully charged back to my set charge level in peak time!!

I also reset my Tesla password and its been 3 days where the car has been charging normally.
I also reset the TeslaFi access password without any issue.
If you've got this problem I would recommend reseting the Tesla password...

I’ve just done this and will report back if it is successful. Nothing else has worked for me. The only thing that stops it is to plug in, allow it to start the charge, and then stop it straight away. It then seems to settle down and not start again until the scheduled time.

upload_2020-11-24_10-7-26.png

I had taken to reducing the charge limit after charging if it was going to remain plugged in just to stop these top ups. They occur, whether or not scheduled start time is enabled. I always have a scheduled start time set, although sometimes I do manually trigger a charge. There are many times when the car will rethink its SoC, and I suspect that the charge logic is just responding to those times when it reduces the SoC so tops up to maintain the set limit. Sometimes you can end up with a SoC thats higher than the set charge limit.

View attachment 611334

I had taken to reducing the charge limit after charging if it was going to remain plugged in just to stop these top ups. They occur, whether or not scheduled start time is enabled. I always have a scheduled start time set, although sometimes I do manually trigger a charge. There are many times when the car will rethink its SoC, and I suspect that the charge logic is just responding to those times when it reduces the SoC so tops up to maintain the set limit. Sometimes you can end up with a SoC thats higher than the set charge limit.

We are talking about something completely different that has started happening to me and others every day since a recent software update. It's not topping up, it's ignoring the scheduled start time. It doesn't ignore it when you leave the car. It does it a little later. Usually about 30 minutes later. This is a pain for people like me trying to take advantage of off-peak electricity. If you do is pot it, it'll charge off peak until your set limit. I've had no problem with scheduled charging in the previous 15 months I've had the car. Tesla has acknowledged to one poster above that there's a bug in the software.

Reactions: JeffnReno
We are talking about something completely different that has started happening to me and others every day since a recent software update.

I was replying to @ElijahEVMan comment.

Just spotted more charging notifications on my iPhone an hour after I stopped it earlier. Has now fully charged back to my set charge level in peak time!!

As for plugging in and charging straight away. As mentioned early in the thread, its not new. Its happened to me on quite a few occasions over the course of this year and in one form or another, the car starting to charge immediately outside scheduled charge time is certainly not a recently introduced issue.

I had this and formed a theory that I have yet to test.

Empirically I noticed that if I plugged in at certain times of day, it would start charging immediately, otherwise, it would wait for the scheduled time. I wondered if it was say >12hours from charge time, it would just charge, but closer to schedule, it would wait.

As I say, just an untested theory. Certainly a long standing observation so not a recent update.

As for plugging in and charging straight away. As mentioned early in the thread, its not new. Its happened to me on quite a few occasions over the course of this year and in one form or another, the car starting to charge immediately outside scheduled charge time is certainly not a recently introduced issue.

For me, personally, it was only introduced after the last software update to my car.

Reactions: JeffnReno
So I changed my Tesla account password this evening. Then had to re-pair my phone as a key.

Went out for a 20 minute drive and plugged back in on return.

Screen in car and app shows charge scheduled to start at 00:30 and so far 2 hours later after plugging no sign of it starting before that!

So fingers crossed this has fixed the issue. Thanks to everyone who recommended this.

Just need to bring back the third party apps and services one by one to find the culprit.

So I changed my Tesla account password this evening. Then had to re-pair my phone as a key.

Went out for a 20 minute drive and plugged back in on return.

Screen in car and app shows charge scheduled to start at 00:30 and so far 2 hours later after plugging no sign of it starting before that!

So fingers crossed this has fixed the issue. Thanks to everyone who recommended this.

Just need to bring back the third party apps and services one by one to find the culprit.

Same here. So far so good with this fix, it seems to be working. Thanks from me too.

Based on what I read here, I changed my Tesla Account password, but no resolve. Last night I noticed the contactor in my Charge Station flapped about 200 times in a 10 minute timeframe, before charging commenced. and the timing was wrong. Sent this message to Tesla today:

I have two issues when using “Departure Time Based Charging”, that make the feature unusable to me:

- The more serious issue is that every time before actual charging starts, the car toggles between Charging and Connected states, very fast and very often. I have seen this happening no less than 200 times within a 10 minute window! And every time the car toggles between these two states, the contractor in my Charge Station engages and disengages. Not good for the contactor at all. Plus, nog good for me, as the sound of the clicking contractor wakes me up at night
1f609.png

- The less serious issue is that actual charging does not take place in the window I was expecting.

I have no issues when using the same Charge Station with my other EV.
When using non scheduled charging or “Start Time Based Charging” with my Tesla, I have no issues either.

To collect some data, I allowed the car to complete a “Departure Time Based Charging” session all the way to the end, and I captured all the state changes. Before doing so, I changed the password in my Tesla account, to make sure no 3rd party apps could mess with the car (I use TeslaFi).

Can you please check the logs of my car to find an explanation / solution for this issue?
Many thanks,
DutchTM3
===================
The below events happened on the evening of Dec 19th / morning of Dec 20th.

- At 15:56 I connected the car to the Charge Station. At that moment, the charging was still schedule to start at 23:00.
- I went in and out of the car a few times, triggering the HVAC and triggering the car to draw some power from the Charge Station.
- At some point in the evening, I changed the charge mode to “Departure Time Based Charging”, with a target of 10:00 the next morning.
- The actual SoC was 12%. The target SoC was set to 50%.
- The Tesla app said (the Dutch equivalent of) ”Charging Scheduled. Ready for departure at 10:00”. All seemed fine.

To charge the battery from 12% to 50% would required about 38% SoC times approx. 75 kWh, so approx. 28.5 kWh. The Charge Station is 3 x 16 amps, so the expected charge would be 11 kW. Based on the above, the expected total charge duration would be about 2.5 - 3 hour. I know departure time based charging aims at having the battery at or near the target SoC at 06:00. So, I was expecting actual charging to take place somewhere between 03:00 and 06:00 with a little boost for battery / interior conditioning between 09:30 and 10:00.

- At 22:04:59 all of a sudden and totally unexpected, the car switch to Charging State. The contacted in the Charge Station engaged.
- Roughly one second later the car switched back to Connected State. The contractor in the Charge Station disengaged.
- Roughly two seconds later, this process would repeat itself. And would continue to repeat itself.
- In a period of roughly 5 minutes, the car switched to Charging State and back to Connected state for more than 100 (!) times and every time the contractor in the Charge Station engaged and disengaged again.
- At 22:10:27 all of a sudden the car stayed in Charging State and actually started charging.
- The app said charging would take (if I remember correctly) 2 hrs and 50 minutes, which was in line with my own calculations.
- Less than a second before midnight (coincidence?) the car stopped charging again. SoC at that moment seemed to be somewhere between 40 and 45%.
- At 03:55:00 the car switched to Charging State again. In the next 10 minutes, the car switched between Charging and connected States more than 200 (!) times. The contractor in the Charge Station engaged and disengaged as many times.
- At 04:05:38 actually charging commenced. This lasted until 04:41:45. Then the car switched to Connected State and settled down.
- At 09:40 the car went into Charging State again and started drawing power for battery / interior conditioning. No flapping between Charging and Connected states, whatsoever
- At 10:01 the car went back to Connected State, after I terminated the Climate Control via the app.

Moderator comment - post merged from "Car charging straight away rather than scheduled time"

Always set the car to be 80% charged by 7.45am so usually starts charging away at 3/4am.

currently as soon as I plug it in it starts to charge as soon as I set it up to charge even if that’s 7pm the night before.

being forced to manually charge it as last thing I do before bed from the APP.

Is this likely to be a Tesla or PodPoint issue ??

Last edited by a moderator:
Moderator comment - post merged from "Car charging straight away rather than scheduled time"

Always set the car to be 80% charged by 7.45am so usually starts charging away at 3/4am.

currently as soon as I plug it in it starts to charge as soon as I set it up to charge even if that’s 7pm the night before.

being forced to manually charge it as last thing I do before bed from the APP.

Is this likely to be a Tesla or PodPoint issue ??

Have you tried setting it to start charging from a certain time, i.e. start at 03:00 with desired SOC of 80%? That way it will not start before, but you will have to do the math to check you will reach 80% by 07:45 based on the starting SOC. Charging config changed with recent software updates, this might be the issue if you upgraded recently.