Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Car starts charging before scheduled time

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hi
I've just gone onto Octopus Go and just want to charge the car from 12.30 to 4.30am during the cheap tariff.

If I use the cars scheduled charging function and set to start at 12.30 and finish at 4.30am will it precondition the car ? If so this will just waste electricity as I have no intention of using at 4.30.

I have a non smart charger. Also tried using the EV.energy app but when I try logging into my Tesla account it won't allow.

Any advice would be welcomed
Cheers

I've just gone onto Octopus Go and just want to charge the car from 12.30 to 4.30am during the cheap tariff.

If I use the cars scheduled charging function and set to start at 12.30 and finish at 4.30am will it precondition the car ? If so this will just waste electricity as I have no intention of using at 4.30.

I use standard scheduled start - never bothered with setting departure time - it just looks as if it is based upon some flawed assumptions.

I charge at 10A, so to hit the 4 hour window, I just add 11% or 12% (latter if I'm needing to ramp up quicker over a number of nights) to the charge limit. I'm normally pretty close to 4 hours and very rarely exceed 4 hour window and if I do, its only a few minutes. I could use a timer to stop the charge, but I personally do like the charge completing naturally at a set limit.

Every situation will be different, battery size, current, average voltage etc, but you very quickly home in on the correct numbers to use and even quicker with a bit of schoolboy maths.

Reactions: Coley50
Not sure if the Tesla model 3, the Zappi, or me is to blame.
I wanted a warm car at 7.15am. I didn’t need charging as such.
I set the car timer to departure time at 7.15.
I set my Zappi to eco plus, precondition - normal with a timed boost for 6-30 to 7.15.
My expectation was that the car would not take much charge but warm up from 6.30 and finish at 7.15. It didn’t.
The car charged twice. First from 4.49 to 5.12 and then from 6.30 to 6.49.
Car was at 8 degrees when I got up.
I think that setting precondition in the Zappi allowed the earlier charge to take place but it should still have finished at 7.15.
Is it because Tesla’s are a bit quirky?
Turning on climate from the app gave me 20 degrees within 5 minutes anyway.

anyone cracked just getting a warm up at a specific time or is this a .44 quirk?

I have an update to the problem. I tried another charger at work with the same results the car started charging after about 9 mins. I spoke to Tesla who checked the logs against the times and they confirmed that the charge was started by a third party app, I changed my password and tried again with only the Tesla app logged in, that time the charge didn't start so I guess it was one of the third party apps that was causing the issue.

I have an update to the problem. I tried another charger at work with the same results the car started charging after about 9 mins. I spoke to Tesla who checked the logs against the times and they confirmed that the charge was started by a third party app, I changed my password and tried again with only the Tesla app logged in, that time the charge didn't start so I guess it was one of the third party apps that was causing the issue.

So, what was the third party app you were using?

I've had my M3 SR+ for a couple of months now but for the last few days it starts charging shortly after plugging in the charging cable and not at the scheduled time of 00:30 hrs, to get off-peak electricity!

The screen says that it will start charging at 00:00 hrs but almost immediately starts to charge the car!

I have set the Tesla app to notify me when it starts charging, so at least I can stop it from charging. When I cancel charging it will actually charge at the scheduled time.

I have rebooted and powered down the car but it's still happening...

Any ideas what to try next?
Had the same for the last couple of charges but didn’t spot it.
Changing the scheduled charge start time, setting it and changing it back seems to have fixed it

No it won't ... it will just stop charging when it's done. You currently can't set a finish time. The departure setting is separate so you either have that set OR you have the charging start time set.

Interestingly on Thu had the same plug in and it started charging immediately instead of the scheduled 00:30 start, today it worked perfectly i.e. plugged in and it did not start charging

On 44.10.

The fix is easy - If it starts charging stop via the app and it reverts to scheduled 'start at 00:30' charging.

I though I would raise this issue with Tesla and today I received the expected response:

Good afternoon Mr. Gunner, we are currently investigating your scheduled charging, I have reviewed log data for the timestamp supplied( Nov 21,2020) and we can see that the charge cable was inserted at 18:51 and the vehicle charged for 10 minutes after this the charging stopped, the vehicle resumed charging at 00:30 scheduled_charging_start_time": "00:30:00.000". This looks like a possible firmware bug and I am confident that we will be able to fix it over the air, a service visit is not necessary.
Kind Regards Tesla Bristol

• Informative
Reactions: MrBadger
I though I would raise this issue with Tesla and today I received the expected response:

Good afternoon Mr. Gunner, we are currently investigating your scheduled charging, I have reviewed log data for the timestamp supplied( Nov 21,2020) and we can see that the charge cable was inserted at 18:51 and the vehicle charged for 10 minutes after this the charging stopped, the vehicle resumed charging at 00:30 scheduled_charging_start_time": "00:30:00.000". This looks like a possible firmware bug and I am confident that we will be able to fix it over the air, a service visit is not necessary.
Kind Regards Tesla Bristol

At least they’ve acknowledged it is a bug that they need to resolve.

I have also seen this since the most recent (standard stream, 2020.44) update. If the car is set to either Scheduled Start or Ready at options, plugging the car in will start charging straight away.

If you go into the Scheduled Charging area and move the setting back to 'Off' then on again (either option), it resets to the correct option. As the above suggests, an issue introduced in recent update as didn't happen previously.

I did wonder if the car was trying to use the charger to draw power whilst it was unlocked and plugged in and would then revert to scheduled after locking, but that doesn't seem to be the case.

Reactions: ElijahEVMan
If you go into the Scheduled Charging area and move the setting back to 'Off' then on again (either option), it resets to the correct option. As the above suggests, an issue introduced in recent update as didn't happen previously.

Ok I will give that try. Just popping out to collect our grocery order so will try toggling the scheduled setting to off and and on again and see if still wants to charge when I plug back in again.

Ok I will give that try. Just popping out to collect our grocery order so will try toggling the scheduled setting to off and and on again and see if still wants to charge when I plug back in again.

For reference, last couple of times I've done it was whilst the car was plugged in already (and had started to to charge). Worth knowing if trying to change the setting before plugging in works though.

For reference, last couple of times I've done it was whilst the car was plugged in already (and had started to to charge). Worth knowing if trying to change the setting before plugging in works though.

Ok toggled the settings to Off and back to Scheduled again before departing. Just got back, plugged back in and charging started immediately again!! Checked settings in the car and the schedule had flipped to Off. Stopped the charge manually and now enabled the Scheduled charge again.

This is getting seriously annoying now.

have you tried changing your Tesla password? that worked for me since last Friday all been working correctly.

No I haven’t tried that but certainly will try that next.

However I’d have thought that Tesla checked the logs for signs of the charging being commanded to start via the API.

The two apps I have using the API is TeslaMate and Watch App for Tesla.

Worth a go though. Thanks.

I also reset my Tesla password and its been 3 days where the car has been charging normally.
I also reset the TeslaFi access password without any issue.
If you've got this problem I would recommend reseting the Tesla password...