Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Car stays on after exiting

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

JSJS

Sep 27, 2022
Florida
I use my phone key to unlock the car. I do not have a keyfob. I've only had the car for several weeks, however over the last week, after I park the car and exit, many times the climate stays on, the radio stays on, the mirrors do not fold, and the doors do not lock. I have to manually lock the doors and turn off the climate with the app. I am nowhere near the car and there are no other keys nearby that would possibly keep the car running. Also, the car is completely empty and seatbelts are not fastened, so I don't think there is anything triggering the car to think it is still occupied. Prior to this past week, everything was functioning properly and I was very comfortable with the car locking itself and turning itself off after I left and closed the door.
Also, sometimes, the doors do lock on their own and the radio turns off, but I get a notice 2 hours later that the climate is turning off since it was left on.
Any advice is appreciated!!!

I use my phone key to unlock the car. I do not have a keyfob. I've only had the car for several weeks, however over the last week, after I park the car and exit, many times the climate stays on, the radio stays on, the mirrors do not fold, and the doors do not lock. I have to manually lock the doors and turn off the climate with the app. I am nowhere near the car and there are no other keys nearby that would possibly keep the car running. Also, the car is completely empty and seatbelts are not fastened, so I don't think there is anything triggering the car to think it is still occupied. Prior to this past week, everything was functioning properly and I was very comfortable with the car locking itself and turning itself off after I left and closed the door.
Also, sometimes, the doors do lock on their own and the radio turns off, but I get a notice 2 hours later that the climate is turning off since it was left on.
Any advice is appreciated!!!
This is usually the symptm of a faulty occupancy sensor. Could also be a faulty door sensor, but then I would expect you to get warnings when driving, too. If the vehicle thinks you're still in the seat or that you left the door open, thoes things don't turn off. One way to tell: look at the PRND indicator. It should switch to "Car Off" when you stand up. If it doesn't, that means it thinks you're still in the seat. In that scenario, someone could theoretically hop in and drive off, so you need to power off from the service menu on the MCU.

Upvote 0
Sorry but that does a sensor have to do with the climate running for two hours after you exit the car and the climate control keeps the air running. This am after myy had the climate on after the conditioning reached the set temp?
A sensor combination is used in place of a start/stop button. The alternative is turning off the screen and the A/C while you are sitting in the car parked. As I stated, you can look at the IC when you get out to ensure this won't happen. Would you rather complain there isn't a button you have to push than look at the screen that is there?

Upvote 0