TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker or making a Paypal contribution here: paypal.me/SupportTMC

car stays "on" even after I get out, close the door, etc...

Discussion in 'Model S: User Interface' started by ljwobker, Jun 19, 2016.

1. ljwobker

ljwobker Geek.

So I'm having a hard time figuring this one out. At what seems like to be random times, I'll park my MS, get out, and come back several minutes later and find that the car is still "on" -- the radio is still playing, the dashboard is still up and running, the HVAC is running, etc. When this happens (the car stays "on") I can open and close the drivers' side door and it will immediately go "off". I had almost convinced myself that there was some algorithm that used a combination of putting the car in park, taking your foot off the brake, and opening the door that told the car to stay "on"... but I can't come up with any reliable way to gather enough data to figure out what's actually going on.

Does anyone know what the inputs are that cause the car to stay "running" instead of turning itself "off"?

2. thecloud

thecloud As rhythm raced inside, the ship came alive

The input, as far as I know, is for someone to be sitting in the driver's seat when the door closes. Maybe that seat switch is faulty. Also, is your key (or your second key) still somewhere in the car when you leave?

3. Canuck

Canuck Active Member

You can also check in the settings to see if you have it set to auto lock. But even if you don't, it shouldn't keep all that stuff on. A reboot might be worth a try too.

4. cpa

cpa Member

I have mistakenly left a door ajar. When I return to the vehicle, it is still "on." Check to see if all four door handles have retracted completely.

5. scottm

scottm Active Member

Also, don't kick the brake pedal accidentally, after putting car in park, opening the door, and lifting your butt off the driver seat.

If you do mistakenly or intentionally touch the brake the pedal as described, and then shut the driver's door, the car will stay on. Radio playing, etc.. Handles will retract after a minute, but car stays on.

It's a feature not a bug.

FYI, if the window is down in this mode ("on" but nobody in the car) and you reach in and open the door from the inside handle, the alarm sounds.