Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Car still asks for key card even with key fob

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

hydro 481

Sep 4, 2017
USA
I have a key fob that I’ve been using. But every time I get in the car and try to drive, it prompts me to scan the key card. I have to double click the key fob to unlock in order for me to override the prompt. Is there a way to disable the prompt completely when using the key fob? Thanks.

I wonder if there are any plans to improve on this. It would be so cool if they added passive entry to the Model 3, like... all other cars around o_O

I really don't want to rely on my phone working all the time and touching a card to the car to unlock it? Really? 2019?

Reactions: hydro 481
Yes - in the same spot as the key card. I rotate cars, so I don't drive the Model 3 everyday. If I get in and step on the brake and the headlights don't turn on, I then put the key fob behind the cup holders and it allows me to put the car in gear.
Thanks. It’s a minor inconvenience but still, I wish the Model 3 key fob had passive entry.

I wonder if there are any plans to improve on this. It would be so cool if they added passive entry to the Model 3, like... all other cars around o_O

I really don't want to rely on my phone working all the time and touching a card to the car to unlock it? Really? 2019?
Yea I hear you. My phone works 80% of the time. I would love passive entry but from what I’ve read it’s not possible to add to the Model 3.

• Helpful
Reactions: UnicornDriver
Not sure what you are doing incorrectly. If I double click the FOB and the enter the car, all is good and it's ready to operate. They only time I need to re-click the FOB is if I leave it in the car, then I re-open the door exit, and return to the car. The open/closing the door for requires re-clicking the FOB.

The key fob "authenticates" the car and allows the driver to shift into gear for up to two minutes after a key command has been sent to the car by the fob. So if you unlock the car with the fob and wait longer than two minutes, then get in, it will ask you to authenticate again by placing the fob or key card behind the cupholders.

As you mention in your post, you can avoid digging the fob out of your pocket when prompted for this message by double clicking the fob in your pocket to send the unlock signal and re-authenticate the car again.

There is no way to disable this. The Model 3 does NOT have passive entry and cannot detect the fob when it's in the car. It is similar to a traditional key fob with the exception of its NFC capabilities should the battery die, but it does not actively emit a signal (as other keyless fobs do) that the car can detect when you're in close proximity with it.

If you're unlocking the car and immediately entering and trying to shift into drive/reverse and it's asking you to authenticate then, there is a problem as this is not the expected behavior. But if you're leaving your Model 3 unlocked and simply getting into it without pressing any buttons on the fob, then no, it's not going to allow you to change gears.

But then this system is pretty flawed. If one is not using the phone for whatever reason, digs out the fob to press the button, puts the fob down in the garage on the table while loading stuff in the car and then drives away and gets stranded. The car will not complain that there's no key detected (like EVERY other car).

I really don't understand this (also the price of the fob for its limited use potential)

Edit, ok, probably everyone keeps the keycard around since it's like a creditcard, it can go next to the drivers license... but stil... what were they thinking.