Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Car Stopped Charging at 98%

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Today I was charging and I decided to charge to 100% for the first time in about 6 months to see the degradation on my 2019 Model 3 SR+. After quite some time around 97%, near an hour, it finally stopped at 98% and said charging complete. No amount of stopping/restarting the charge or changing the charge max slider seemed to do anything. I'm assuming this is just the battery SoC measurement getting out of calibration? Has anyone seen this before? I usually charge to 70% limit and often only drive less than 10km a day, so perhaps this made it worse.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20200301-161634_Tesla.jpg
    Screenshot_20200301-161634_Tesla.jpg
    97.2 KB · Views: 48
...just the battery SoC measurement getting out of calibration?...

Yes.

...I usually charge to 70% limit...

Yes.

Come on!!!

Are you playing psychoanalysis that's when it's not the doctor who gives the answer but the patient who is the one who gives all the answers?

1) Service Center wants owners to charge at least daily and set it at 90% to reduce the speed of calibration drift.

2) Your 98% needs to be labeled as 100% because that's the definition of "charge completed". The BMS would take some time to do that for you eventually.

• Informative
Reactions: hcdavis3
Yes.

Yes.

Come on!!!

Are you playing psychoanalysis that's when it's not the doctor who gives the answer but the patient who is the one who gives all the answers?

1) Service Center wants owners to charge at least daily and set it at 90% to reduce the speed of calibration drift.

2) Your 98% needs to be labeled as 100% because that's the definition of "charge completed". The BMS would take some time to do that for you eventually.
Well my confusion is mostly regarding the fact that every case of this I've seen has resulted in the car showing reduced "KM of range", which is all fine and dandy, but this is a new one. I often see my car reporting only 300km of range at 90%, which is to be expected with my charging habits. I guess I'll try running it down to empty and charging to 100% again, see what result I can get.

Charge to 90% for a few weeks, this should bring it up.
The SR+ likes 90% still at 215 and 239 - 240 at 100%

Also switch to Chill mode, this will also help it come back as there is less voltage sag in the battery.

Fred

Last edited: