Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Car stopped suddenly

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I was in the car wash and my car switched from neutral to park with door closed

Sounds like a safety feature to me. I wouldn't want a freely rolling car in neutral with no driver in it to crush anyone.

Oh. You mean while you are at the driver seat? Could it be your seat belt was not on and also, did you move that cause the driver seat sensor to pick that up?

• Informative
Reactions: brkaus
Yep, happens to me all the time when I’m checking how I’m inching into the garage, looking out the window to check on front wheel placement... you lift your butt off the seat, and wham, you are in Park.

I do wish there was an override for this for ‘under 2 MPH’ or geolocation or something....

If in a car wash and it’s being towed, you need to use Tow Mode.

• Helpful
Reactions: idleuser
Yep, happened to me. I was reaching for the glove box and it shifted into Park. I had no idea wtf was going on until the rollers lifted the rear of my car up and a large Mercedes Benz SUV slammed into the large spinning cleaner tat cleans the back of your car, pushing that into my car denting the rear left gate. In the panic I could not get car into N because of the odd way you have to quick/gently shift it.

The overly sensitive seat sensor and the stupid way you have to shift into N are horrible design flaws. It was pretty scary, to this day I get nervous going through car washes. $7K worth of damage. The rear lift car had to be replaced because aluminum can not be repaired.

So don't move your ass when you are in a car wash.

037.JPG
043.JPG

Last edited:
  • Informative
Reactions: Tam
If your butt lifts off the seat the car will shift into Park. This is true even if you have the seat belt on. I’m not sure what the spread threshold is for this not to happen. I know that if I am reversing to and I turn my head to look back far enough that I slightly lift off the seat the car will stop and shift into park.

Reactions: zecar