Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Car suddenly not charging while I'm away

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I'm away. Left the car plugged in as usual with charging set to keep the battery at 50%. Always maintained the battery charge level in the past. This time it topped off the battery once and all seemed fine. Since the most recent software update to the car (2022.44.2) the car hasn't charged. My phone app (which was not updated as far as I know. On 4.15.3-1487) no longer shows the battery "slider" for setting the charge level and the charger icon (one of the 4 under the picture of the car) is grey. The picture of the car shows the charging cable as plugged in. Scheduled charging shows as enabled and turning it off and on does not make any change to the charging icon or restore the battery slider display. I'm down to 46% and the car would have recharged before getting this low in the past. I'm not overly concerned as I'll be back well before 46% has been lost to vampire drain. This may have nothing to do with the software update, any multitude of things can go wrong, but the change is rather coincidental. Anyone else seeing this?

None of the other systems at the house that I can remotely monitor have had a power interruption but it's possible as it is a dedicated breaker for the EVSE. The picture on the app shows a green cable to the car and the charge port is red. I would think if there was no power from the EVSE the cable wouldn't show at all. In addition if I test internet connections the car and EVSE both show good connectivity so the EVSE must be powered.

Last edited:
Assuming you are talking about a wall connector, if you can ping it then I agree, it has power.

I would try this:

Reboot the phone then upgrade the app to the most current version. Turn off schedule charge / departure if they are on, then crank up the SOC to say 80%. If it does not start in a few minutes see if a “Start Charging” button appears and click on it.

BTW, did you upgrade the car software while you were away?

To your last point. Yes. I stupidly let an update install while I was away. After 3 years with the car and Tesla's software updates you would think I would have known better. The other issue is that I don't have the slider on the app to adjust the charge level so I can't initiate a charge. Deleting the app and reinstalling the latest version changed nothing. I'm not really concerned since there is plenty of charge in the battery to last until I return I was just curious if anyone was experiencing this problem.

To your last point. Yes. I stupidly let an update install while I was away. After 3 years with the car and Tesla's software updates you would think I would have known better. The other issue is that I don't have the slider on the app to adjust the charge level so I can't initiate a charge. Deleting the app and reinstalling the latest version changed nothing. I'm not really concerned since there is plenty of charge in the battery to last until I return I was just curious if anyone was experiencing this problem.

Yeah, probably need to reboot the car. Golden rule with any software update, never do an update unless you will be around to fix problems. 😉

I’m having the same problem with my 2017 S. I’ve reset the plug, the charger and the car. I’ve tried using the chord that allows charging using a regular 120v outlet. Nothing works. I’m perplexed but if you are having similar problem I’m now wondering if it was the software update?

I’m having the same problem with my 2017 S. I’ve reset the plug, the charger and the car. I’ve tried using the chord that allows charging using a regular 120v outlet. Nothing works. I’m perplexed but if you are having similar problem I’m now wondering if it was the software update?
I have no idea what is going on. Last night I checked to see if the charging would magically start as scheduled. The battery was down to 46% with the charge limit supposedly set to 50% (the battery/charge slider no longer shows in the app). No charge was started. This morning I switched off scheduled charging and the car almost immediately started to charge. Charged right up to 50% and stopped. I switched scheduled charging off and on yesterday. Deleted and reinstalled the app. Set Departure time charging and waited for something. Remotely looked at my router and both car and wall "charger" were alive and connected. Nothing would initiate a charge, and now simply switching off scheduled charging started a charging session. But nothing on the app has changed. The charging lightening bolt icon is greyed out and the charge level slider is missing. Almost has to be a software glitch (he stated having absolutely no basis for that conclusion). Have you rebooted the car. My mistake might have been letting the software update while I was not present to do an "after update" reboot.

Just experienced something similar with my 2017 Model S. Came home after just over two weeks of leaving my car parked and plugged in at my home. The battery seems to have completely drained. My Tesla app cannot communicate with the car and does not give a status update for past 16 days. Can’t unplug the car or unlock the car; the charging cable shows a green light so I’m assuming it’s plugged in properly and charging. Any thoughts?

Just experienced something similar with my 2017 Model S. Came home after just over two weeks of leaving my car parked and plugged in at my home. The battery seems to have completely drained. My Tesla app cannot communicate with the car and does not give a status update for past 16 days. Can’t unplug the car or unlock the car; the charging cable shows a green light so I’m assuming it’s plugged in properly and charging. Any thoughts?
Are you still using the original 12V battery, if you can manage to open the frunk (there are cables on each side of the front wheel wells, just pull off the front cover and pull the cable), see if you can jump the battery and start the car. You can also schedule an appointment or call the service center to see if they have the 12v battery and drive to the SC, they take walk-ins like this if you manage to start the car.

Reactions: brkaus
Sounds like the 12v battery has died. Normally you get weeks of notice if the 12v battery is degrading to the point where it needs replacement and you have plenty of time to replace it, but not always.
Yes it does seem like the battery is dead but I’m not sure why since it was plugged in the entire time away. We’ve done this several times over the past few years except the car is normally parked in the garage. This time around it was parked outside and we’ve seen heavy rains in Northern CA over the past two weeks. Would excessive moisture have any effect on the battery?

Are you still using the original 12V battery, if you can manage to open the frunk (there are cables on each side of the front wheel wells, just pull off the front cover and pull the cable), see if you can jump the battery and start the car. You can also schedule an appointment or call the service center to see if they have the 12v battery and drive to the SC, they take walk-ins like this if you manage to start the car.
Yes the car has the original battery. I’ll try opening the frunk and jumping the battery.

Reactions: cbdream99
Yes the car has the original battery. I’ll try opening the frunk and jumping the battery.
My problem was app/software related. My car was barely losing a mile a day to vampire drain so it would have been months to drain the main battery or the 12 volt battery. If your 12V is original from 2017 I suspect that is your problem. It's at least 5 years old so time for it to die. It's possible that your car isn't charging the 12V battery but that's a pretty rare fault.

I have a 2017 MS too and I started having some noise coming from the coolant pump and the vampire drain is horrendous, I never got any 12v warning in the original battery but I replaced it anyway, and after that, the crazy drain is gone. It's worth a try to see if it is a 12v battery issue.

Update: was able to jump the battery using AAA and drive to Tesla service center. The battery was not drained, had about 200 miles. The service found the problem..rodent damage of the wiring!! I hear this is common with EVs..any thoughts on how to keep rodents out? I was looking into high frequency gadgets for the car.

Update: was able to jump the battery using AAA and drive to Tesla service center. The battery was not drained, had about 200 miles. The service found the problem..rodent damage of the wiring!! I hear this is common with EVs..any thoughts on how to keep rodents out? I was looking into high frequency gadgets for the car.
It’s common in all cars. Our Acura had several sensors disconnected by rodents.

• Helpful
Reactions: Rocky_H
I have a 2017 MS too and I started having some noise coming from the coolant pump and the vampire drain is horrendous, I never got any 12v warning in the original battery but I replaced it anyway, and after that, the crazy drain is gone. It's worth a try to see if it is a 12v battery issue.
The same for me. MS 2015. High vampire drain. No warning for 12V, replaced it and now it’s OK.