Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Car swaying

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
To give a little background here
Beginning of September my car started heading to the right while driving (like I needed to apply constant torque on the steering wheel to keep it from the ditch.

I made an appointment for the end of the week for an alignment for the car. As I got closer to that appointment I noticed not only was the car veering to the right when pressing the accelerator and then to the left on regen. by the day of the alignment at Tesla the back end began to sway along with the veering to the right or left.
I rode with a tech (sept 9th) and he said they’d start with an alignment, check the suspension and go from there. On sept 13th I got a message the car was ready for pick up. They were able to perform an alignment and it was good.(I should
Note only ONE wheel was out of spec and it was waaaay out of spec) it was good For 8 days. Last night I noticed that same sway is back.
Today while driving the car it got worse and worse as I was driving. Like so bad it gave me vertigo while driving.
I messaged Tesla because there’s no way ONE wheel keeps coming out of alignment when I haven’t driven over anything. Just normal roads I’ve been driving in for 50k miles.
They have a rear DU on order already because it’s making the noise and slight clunk. I messaged Tesla and they’re like well we can do another alignment. It feels like more than that. But my question is why wouldn’t this have been seen while doing an alignment. I really want to ask them to just give me a loaner until the DU arrives since I’m going to assume this is likely a toelink or control arm (guessing here from some googling) anyone know of it is one of those things if my driving it will cause more issues and then cascade into major repairs? I also don’t want to pay for shop time to drop the dang DU when it’s going to happen soon. (They have no ETA on parts arriving) what do y’all think?

I had problems with the toe link cam bolts: at 80Nm, they still slipped. To fix it, I loosened the cam bolts and sprayed brake cleaner to remove any contamination, blowed them dry and retorqued to 80Nm, then continued to tighten until it felt tight: another 1/8 of a turn.
I have a Heath Robinson arrangement of wooden blocks that I lower the rear hubs onto, without the wheels. This allows me to tighten the suspension bolts at close to ride height.

It's probably the fore link assembly (1041575-00-B). if there's a litte bit of slack it starts to drift and an alignment doesn't solve it. I had 3 alignments done before they found this. Here's my invoice FYI, amounts in €

1632484104417.png

• Informative
Reactions: Issaction
To give a little background here
Beginning of September my car started heading to the right while driving (like I needed to apply constant torque on the steering wheel to keep it from the ditch.

I made an appointment for the end of the week for an alignment for the car. As I got closer to that appointment I noticed not only was the car veering to the right when pressing the accelerator and then to the left on regen. by the day of the alignment at Tesla the back end began to sway along with the veering to the right or left.
I rode with a tech (sept 9th) and he said they’d start with an alignment, check the suspension and go from there. On sept 13th I got a message the car was ready for pick up. They were able to perform an alignment and it was good.(I should
Note only ONE wheel was out of spec and it was waaaay out of spec) it was good For 8 days. Last night I noticed that same sway is back.
Today while driving the car it got worse and worse as I was driving. Like so bad it gave me vertigo while driving.
I messaged Tesla because there’s no way ONE wheel keeps coming out of alignment when I haven’t driven over anything. Just normal roads I’ve been driving in for 50k miles.
They have a rear DU on order already because it’s making the noise and slight clunk. I messaged Tesla and they’re like well we can do another alignment. It feels like more than that. But my question is why wouldn’t this have been seen while doing an alignment. I really want to ask them to just give me a loaner until the DU arrives since I’m going to assume this is likely a toelink or control arm (guessing here from some googling) anyone know of it is one of those things if my driving it will cause more issues and then cascade into major repairs? I also don’t want to pay for shop time to drop the dang DU when it’s going to happen soon. (They have no ETA on parts arriving) what do y’all think?
I had same problem like u have , the service center told me need tires change however my car only had 18000m on it . Beside that they had done nothing