Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Car takes 10-20 minutes to become operational

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I have a 2015 Model S purchased used from Tesla in January 2018. For more than a year I have complained to Tesla about the delay.
The MCU has been replaced once or twice. The car has had more service issues than I can count. The used car warranty expired last month and this was supposed to be resolved but they “couldn’t reproduce it.”
I refuse to pay for an “infotainment upgrade” to have a reliable vehicle. I have modified every setting they suggested and the problem persists. Multiple times a month, I get in the car to go somewhere and it takes 10-20 minutes before the car
becomes operational. Either the display is unresponsive or it’s just black.
Does anyone know of a lawyer who’d be willing to help me sue Tesla about this? I have pages of correspondence with them about it. I’m probably going to trade it in for another car soon. I’m just so frustrated disappointed & disgusted. It doesn’t help that I work retail and have to clock in at a job and need to add an extra 20 minutes to my day to get to work on time.

You probably don't want to hear this, but it is out of warranty. I am not sure what you will be able to sue for unless they have been negligent or fraudulent, which sounds unlikely on the information you have posted. We are about to pay for the MCU2 upgrade as I am told it transforms the car. If you want to keep it I suggest you do the same, but it sounds like you have already decided to sell. Good luck with that if the buyer cannot drive it away for 20 minutes.

Just get the MCU2 upgrade and stop whining. it makes the car better than new and is well worth the $1500 price which is pretty cheap considering tesla prices for everything.

You have no case to sue so don't waste your time. and the money you'd spend trying to sue you'd be better spent on the upgrade anyway. Typical American mindset thinking they can sue for anything that is an inconvenience to them... pathetic.

I’ve had this issue a few times but nothing major. Once the car would drive but the main screen was black. As another poster said, reboot the car by holding both scroll buttons down. Did Tesla do the emmc recall on your car? I think Tesla could appease more owners by lowering the cost of the mcu2 upgrade to $999 as goodwill especially if its causing the owner major drivability issues. at last check Tesla raised this upgrade to $2250

I had similar issues after a couple of software updates. My car would take about 4-10 minutes to finally respond to the point where you can do the two scroll button reset, and would be necessary 40% of the time. I'm just glad it never occurred when I was in stacked parking at the Hollywood Bowl. The worst instance of system freeze/reboot was when I was driving my in-laws on a roadtrip in 95F weather when the navigation, audio, and HVAC went out for about 5 minutes. I jumped at the opportunity for the eMMC daughterboard replacement and that seemed to make things a little better for a little while, but it would still not boot up properly 10% of the time. Once the MCU2 upgrade became readily available at the Service Center I did not hesitate. I'm not a fan of "planned obsolescence," but the MCU1 was flawed from the start and so I figured I use to spend a whole lot more for a whole lot less back on car audio back in the 90s, so $1,500 at this stage is well worth it.

Reactions: gaswalla
To reiterate this upgrade is not $1500 it’s $2250 which is expensive
I thought the current price is $1700 for pre-HW2.0 cars and $2250 for HW2.x cars. Not sure why the price difference. This does not include the FM/XM radio replacement option. Maybe those that had the retrofit in the last 60 days can state the pricing (before taxes) and the vehicle year in case Tesla has new pricing.

When I had mine done, back in 2021, I paid $2500 on my 2016 HW2.0 car.

I thought the current price is $1700 for pre-HW2.0 cars and $2250 for HW2.x cars. Not sure why the price difference. This does not include the FM/XM radio replacement option. Maybe those that had the retrofit in the last 60 days can state the pricing (before taxes) and the vehicle year in case Tesla has new pricing.

When I had mine done, back in 2021, I paid $2500 on my 2016 HW2.0 car.
Here is the latest I can find, although as I’ve noticed Tesla pricing can change dramatically so getting a person who just had this done would be helpful.
“Owners of compatible vehicles can schedule an appointment through the Tesla app for purchase and installation. This upgrade is available for $2,250 plus applicable tax, including installation, for vehicles equipped with Autopilot Computer 2.0 or 2.5 and for $1,750 plus applicable tax, including installation, for all other vehicles.”