Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Car Thinks I'm My Wife

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Even though I've set me phone to be dominant (I usually drive), sometimes the car adjusts the seat, etc. based on my wife's settings. I've figured that it's because she got into the car first. But today, I was 100 miles away from home, and when I pressed the brake, it thought she was driving (she had her phone at home).

Any idea why that happened?

TL;DR: It sounds like a bug.

Perhaps the "miles away" case (other posts also reported it) helps explain the other cases where the car sets the driver profile for the wrong phone key. (No tablets involved, right?)

Another thread (I couldn't find it last time I searched) reported that the car has 3 Bluetooth radios: one in each B pillar and one inside, and that the car sticks with the first connection it gets rather than trying to detect which phone is nearest the driver door.

--> That can explain cases where I open the car door in the garage and the seat adjusts to my wife's profile even though her phone is in the house, much further away and sometimes in the same direction as mine.

But say if the BT connection to your phone drops, the car picks the previous (albeit disconnected) phone's profile. Such a rule could be a bug or a hacky workaround. It can explain the "miles away" case as well as the more common case.

Even though I've set me phone to be dominant (I usually drive), sometimes the car adjusts the seat, etc. based on my wife's settings. I've figured that it's because she got into the car first. But today, I was 100 miles away from home, and when I pressed the brake, it thought she was driving (she had her phone at home).

Any idea why that happened?

do you have your driver profiles set to the right phone/keys? Which driver profile did it show when you pressed the brake and it “thought” your wife was driving?

I have this same issue. I've setup my phone key/profile as the Primary but when I enter with my wife, it enters her profile every single time. I've tried deleting all key card/phone keys and setting them up again and the issue still occurs.

I was so happy when Tesla added the "Primary" designation to the phone keys because I thought it would finally fix this issue but it hasn't. I used to own an iPhone 6s and she had an iphone 11 so I thought that it was due to her BT signal being stronger but now we have the same phone and nothing has changed.