Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Car thought it was still plugged in, wouldn’t “start”

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

ChrisH

Jun 4, 2013
Milton, wa
I tried searching for this but I feel like I rarely have any luck with the search function on here.

Has anyone ever unplugged their sleeping Tesla, got in and gone to push the brake to turn it on but the brake won’t press down as far as usual and the car wouldn’t turn “on?”

I had this happen yesterday on 2019.8.5. The first time the car has ever done anything so extreme that it wouldn’t “start.” I’ve had the car almost 8 months, just over 4,000 miles. The screen still had the message as though it were plugged in and would start charging at 3:30am (my scheduled time).

A hard reset seemed to clear the issue but even when it turned on it didn’t default to my driver profile settings. Instead it was on easy entry. I selected my user profile and the seat adjusted. All seems fine today.

I tried searching for this but I feel like I rarely have any luck with the search function on here.

Has anyone ever unplugged their sleeping Tesla, got in and gone to push the brake to turn it on but the brake won’t press down as far as usual and the car wouldn’t turn “on?”

I had this happen yesterday on 2019.8.5. The first time the car has ever done anything so extreme that it wouldn’t “start.” I’ve had the car almost 8 months, just over 4,000 miles. The screen still had the message as though it were plugged in and would start charging at 3:30am (my scheduled time).

A hard reset seemed to clear the issue but even when it turned on it didn’t default to my driver profile settings. Instead it was on easy entry. I selected my user profile and the seat adjusted. All seems fine today.
These cars often have more in common with PC’s than ICE vehicles. Just as reboots fix all kinds of sporadic PC issues, the same has been true of both of our Teslas. I wouldn’t worry about your issue unless it becomes a recurring issue.

These cars often have more in common with PC’s than ICE vehicles. Just as reboots fix all kinds of sporadic PC issues, the same has been true of both of our Teslas. I wouldn’t worry about your issue unless it becomes a recurring issue.
It’s funny when I started working on Super Hornets in the Navy we experienced the same thing. Have an issue on launch, shut it down land restart and most times it would be gone. We even referred to it as a Cntl Alt delete. Lol

Not seen this. Car always (so far) when fob approaches... (Jinxing self now... ).

You would think it wouldn’t unlock and let you unplug if deep asleep...?

Yeah that’s what I thought was weird. Opened the app, unplugged, hung the charging cable up, opened the door, and went to start the car like usual. Noticed the brake pedal wouldn’t go down and the screen still showing the charging screen.

When I've charged overnight I first open my door (to make sure the car is connected to the app and awake) and then push the button on my handle and remove it from the charge port. I think if the car has been sleeping just like people it sometimes wakes up cranky.:D I also think sometimes when I'm in a hurry and go to back up the car out the driveway I maybe do things in a different order or rushed where maybe two signals like brake and Reverse come too close together and it gets confused. Totally guessing here.

Reactions: ChrisH