TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker or making a Paypal contribution here: paypal.me/SupportTMC

Car to Car Charging

Discussion in 'Model S: Battery & Charging' started by Cattledog, Dec 25, 2012.

1. Cattledog

Cattledog Active Member

Any chance the car will allow car to carcharging? You know, when you've blown your KWh and a good Tesla buddy can spare you a few electrons? Answers, thoughts?

Cheers.

2. jomo25

jomo25 P4398

3. TXjak

TXjak Owner/Investor/Advocate

It seems like it should be feasible, especially if both have supercharger capability. Probably need a special adapter, though.

4. Cattledog

Cattledog Active Member

Jomo - Good one!

TXjak - YEs, just in an emergency situation. DC current transfer.

5. walla2

walla2 Member

How about going double Galaga style? You know connecting up side by side and blasting away.

images.jpg

For the record, I don't think this is a good idea and do not try that at home or anywhere else for that matter.

6. Cattledog

Cattledog Active Member

I don't think it's a good idea either, sort of like siphoning gas from one tank to put in another - option of last resort. But it will be essentially what a AAA type charge will be (battery to battery, unless they install an onboard generator on their trucks.).

7. Brian H

Brian H Banned

Actually, from my recall of the photo and caption I saw of one of their trucks, they did go the generator route. Don't remember the output they claimed, though.

8. nolngrgrsngslde

I think that picking up a charge from anywhere is a good idea if feasible.
    DC charging would have to be the way to do it. All they can do is split up the total charge between them [(CarA_Charge+CarB_charge)/2]. In other words, if car A was at 100%, and Car B was at 80%, they will both get to 90% and then stop. If A was at 100 and B was at 50, they will both go to 75% and stop.

9. NielsChr

NielsChr Member

Seams like a good idea, but will require a DC to DC cable and "charger curcurit" to regulate/negotigate the charge speed.

DC to DC makes it posible to charge as "supercharger" - e.g. charge 50 miles in aprox 10 minutte