TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker and becoming a Supporting Member. For more info: Support TMC

Car To Sit for 2 Months

Discussion in 'Model S' started by Buster1, Aug 4, 2018.

1. Buster1

Buster1 Member

Looks like I’m headed on a two month business trip. The Tesla will sleep in my garage plugged in of course. The wife will probably not drive it.

Wondering if anyone has any recommendations? Is it as simple as that? Maybe leave the battery at 50%?

Thoughts?

Thanks.

2. ucmndd

ucmndd Active Member

Simple as that. I keep mine near the 50% mark when I’m gone for extended periods.

• Like x 1
  3. quickstrike12

quickstrike12 Member

If it were me I would have someone drive it at least around the block every few weeks to keep the tires in good working order. In my military days during very long deployments, I either put my car on blocks or had some one drive it periodically for that reason.

In my case I would have to weigh having wife pull it out of garage and drive it over just buying new tires! Both are scary and potentially expensive:)

• Funny x 6
    • Like x 2
  4. Buster1

Buster1 Member

Thanks guys!

@quickstrike12 . Yeah, I’m retired military, and now a contractor working with the military bubbas. I do some overseas trips with them on occasion, but this is the first time I’ll be gone while owning the Tesla. The wife also expressly said she is not comfortable pulling it in/out of the garage...so like you said... there is that to consider!

5. Upscaleman

Upscaleman Member

And on that note, the paid "garage remover" industry was born.

• Funny x 2
  6. Lasairfion

Lasairfion Member

Pity you can't summon it out of the garage and back in, from your phone while gone...

7. tstafford

tstafford Supporting Member

I'd plug it in at 50% or whatever and wouldn't worry about it. I leave my track cars on a tender all the time for periods this long (or more) w/o issue. I'd think a tesla would be even less of a problem.

• Like x 2
  8. mspohr

mspohr Active Member

I've left my Model S for 7 weeks plugged in and at 60% charge. Every few days it will top up the battery (I think when it goes down by about 1 kWh).
    No problems. Started right up when I got home.

• Informative x 1
    • Like x 1
  9. Tslrsx

Tslrsx Member

At 50% SoC is perfect. Maybe try energy saving mode to limit energy use by car

• Like x 1
  10. Don85D

Don85D Member

A car cover to keep it from getting dusty would be nice. Check that there are no food sources (pet food) in the garage as rodents may take up residence in the Tesla and snack on wiring.

Consider leaving it parked outdoors and plugged in so that your wife can drive it. That would be my choice as best for the car and for the wife. Our Model S is shared.

• Like x 1
  11. Silent Ludicrosy

I wouldn't bother having your wife drive it. The tires should be fine, especially at 45 psi. Just turn the climate control on a couple times with the app to cycle the stale air out.

The service center told me they recommend putting the car in jack mode if it will be sitting for a while. It keeps the air suspension from settling and throwing a "service air suspension" fault.

• Informative x 2
  12. whitex

whitex Active Member

If you let your wife drive it, you'll be buying a second one in 2 months. ;)

• Funny x 2