Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

car totally off this morning

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hi,

This morning when I opened the door, both displays stayed black, the car wouldn't go on. I push the brake medal, no change.
I plugged the charging connector, I heard some "clic clic" , nothing changed during one minute, I was in hurry to drive my son the the school, so I let the tesla and drove my other car.
After letting my son I came back at home, the car was on.
What did happen?
My car is a 2013 P85+ with MCU2 (MCU2 retrofit since 2 weeks), last reboot was saturday after installing last software version

Your car probably had to reboot the computer for some reason as you entered the car. Your 2013 is surely on a different software version from my 2020, but I have had this problem of the car rebooting upon entry lately, and am hoping the software update I got yesterday helps this issue. Anyway, this is probably what happened to you, and on the 2013, the reboot process would be much slower, probably a minute or two, because it is an older processor.

Encountered "Car Off" with my Tesla Model S 2013 (with 6-month-old 12v battery) after 2022.7 software update. Even after a full reboot, the dash was stuck in "Car Off" mode. We were able to drive the car with no speedometer or gear view. The issue didn't come up again between booking the service and bringing the car into the SC. Tesla service still charged me $255 and said they did a factory reset and gave no root cause for the problem.

Went to leave for dinner yesterday and my car was in a similar state. Blank screens but could still put the vehicle in reverse/drive but it took a good 5 min or so before they 'rebooted' and the AC started and the MCU booted back up.

Had this happen on my 2020 Model S Perf today. ~240 miles of range left, did not charge overnight. Went to leave to go pick up the kids from school and the handles present, headlights-turn signals flash turn on/work, etc. Both the screens were blank and would not turn on. Could not get vehicle into drive or similar. I ended up just holding the brake/ pushing both steering wheel buttons and the vehicle screens "reset", but has anyone discovered why this happens? Purchased the vehicle used so I do not know its history, but only 14k miles. Excuse the dirty screens.

Attachments

• 620303883188581587.jpg
    620303883188581587.jpg
    259.6 KB · Views: 46
It is just if some software gets going bad, it can multiply and bring down the whole car system. Rebooting with the two steering wheel buttons usually works for things gone suddenly awry. Pushing on brake does not add any additional system rebooting when parked. If it was in drive, probably a good idea to press the brake first.

It is just if some software gets going bad, it can multiply and bring down the whole car system. Rebooting with the two steering wheel buttons usually works for things gone suddenly awry. Pushing on brake does not add any additional system rebooting when parked. If it was in drive, probably a good idea to press the brake first.
Appreciate it. I've had the car 3 weeks and love it, but noticed some weird things like front wheel damage and a missing frunk cover where the 12v is so I didn't know if there is a known issue outside of software. It has done 3 sets of updates and is now on FSD Beta 11.3.3 (2022.45.12) so maybe that's all it is.

It very well could be an update issue. My SiriusXM is barely working, and it takes several reboots over a few days for everything to stabilize into some odd-but-working-if-you-fool-with-it condition. Others may start posting similar issues. Besides the adventurous electronic features, my 2020 S car has been rock solid for me so far, not including infotainment junk.

It very well could be an update issue. My SiriusXM is barely working, and it takes several reboots over a few days for everything to stabilize into some odd-but-working-if-you-fool-with-it condition. Others may start posting similar issues. Besides the adventurous electronic features, my 2020 S car has been rock solid for me so far, not including infotainment junk.
Love to hear it. It is a beautiful and amazing machine I hope to keep for the long haul.

Reactions: DerbyDave