TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker or making a Paypal contribution here: paypal.me/SupportTMC

Car tried to install new firmware while I was driving!

Discussion in 'Model S' started by calisnow, Mar 19, 2016.

1. calisnow

calisnow Active Member

Last night (after the screen blanking incident I reported in a different thread) I was cruising down the freeway around 1 or 2 a.m. when I glanced at the center 17" screen and noticed a count-down timer inside a rectangular box which had a message saying that the car was about to install a software update.

The message also said that if I did not press any buttons that the software update would start when the timer got to zero and at that time the car would not be drivable. Of course I canceled the box out and kept driving.

But what would have happened if I had not noticed the message? Surely the car would not have simply shut down and come to a halt in traffic on the freeway - would it????

• Like x 1
  2. andrewket

andrewket 2014 S P85DL, 2016 X P90DL (soon 100)

I would report this to tesla. I would hope that the update would immediately fail, but this is the first I've heard of the countdown starting while the car was not parked and idle.

• Helpful x 1
  3. calisnow

calisnow Active Member

Is there a formal process for reporting an incident to Tesla?

4. AndY1

AndY1 Member

Isn't there 'Report a bug' or something somewhere on the main LCD?

• Dislike x 1
  5. ZBB

ZBB Emperor

You can hold the voice button down and say "Bug Report" and keep talking with the issue. You should see "Thank you for the feedback" (or something similar) on the dash when you are done...

6. dsm363

dsm363 Roadster + Sig Model S

You're probably better off calling your local service advisor or sending Tesla an e-mail to make sure they get the report.

• Like x 2
  7. ediot

ediot Member

here's one thing i'm quite iffy about OTA updates at the moment. while the car gives you a couple days of notification of an update available, it (hopefully, probably) wouldn't be too hard to program it so that a big question box comes up asking if you wanna "start the update now" whenever you put the car into Park - because if you don't confirm to update at that point, at least you'd know there's an update available and is reasonably frequently reminded of that fact, whilst you'd only let the update happen if the one time that you put the car into Park is already the end of your day driving and knowing there's ample time for the car to do its thing.

sometimes i travel away from home without the model S so my gf drives my car around - the last thing i want is her out shopping and going back to the car to find that it's in the middle of its 120minute updating. currently this is possible if you keep ignoring the small notifications (which my gf should, since it isn't her car and she doesn't know what is appropritate to do). But if a confirm box comes up whenever she's in Park, she can just leave it alone and knowing that she won't come back to a car halfway thru updating.

just an idea.

8. whitex

whitex Member

Long time ago after a visit to the SC they loaded an update for me but set it to update later that afternoon. I happen to be driving the car at the time. I don't recall seeing the countdown screen, but I do remember an "Update failed" message, and not being able to re-do the update again until it came over the air a day or two later.