Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Car trying to avoid a phantom on back road - which feature should I disable?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
False positive triggered by one of the vehicles in the vicinity of the red lined area. Had we been going faster (speed limit 40mph), or on TACC it may have taken evasive action, ie slammed on. But I suspect it realised that the threat had passed prior to that even though the car display was still highlighting in red a van as it came towards us.

Nothing wrong with its vision and identification system though, it 'just' misinterpreted what was going on and the threat.

I expect it triggered forward collision warning. It behaved as if the red highlighted vehicle (a correctly identified van) was crossing our path and, if you didn't know the road, as the car wouldn't, I guess it looks like that. The road curves gently to the left, slight dip down, so all headlights are of cars in expected place. Quite a difficult scenario to differentiate normal and abnormal traffic behaviour and it got it wrong in this scenario. I am surprised this does not occur more often. Other false forward collision warnings I have experienced had obvious, if premature triggers; this one was particularly premature, the threat, if there was one, was a significant distance away.

upload_2020-1-9_20-41-42.png