Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Car turned off while supercharging

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
This habit of the Tesla to shut-down as you experienced ought to be more widespread knowledge. Anyway, prior to going on a trip, or once a month, I do a manual shut-down of the system. A reboot if you will.

I disagree that there's a habit of shutting down, and with the idea of shutting down before a road trip. This type of post will scare the public away from EVs.

There's nothing special that needs to be done with the car, just drive it. And don't freak out when you don't understand something.

Contrary to some posts I've read, the car is not a "computer on wheels"... it's a car. Yes it has complex electronics, but so does every car produced in the last few decades.

I disagree that there's a habit of shutting down, and with the idea of shutting down before a road trip. This type of post will scare the public away from EVs. ...
Nope. Folks need to know what's going on with their vehicles. Keeping them in the dark will only sour EV users.

A year ago I was on a 2,800 mile AZ to Cape Cod trip in our MY when, at a motel, the main screen went black. Didn't have a clue what the heck was going on and it was unsettling. Well, now I understand what I saw, and I understand how to deal with it. Really much better than not knowing.

Rich

(moderator note)

Note that although I changed the thread title from "something scary happened to me" to the current title, I am not trying to intimate that the situation was not "scary" to the OP. No one can tell another person how to feel, or how something feels to them.

Rather, I have a very strong belief that a thread title should indicate what the thread is about, and "something scary" does not indicate anything about what the thread was about.

Many of us might not have found the issue scary, but the OP reported it was scary to them. New technology can be intimidating for some. I have a fairly decent "nose" for threads that feel like they are planted as trolling, etc, and this one does not feel like that to me, at all. It simply feels like a new owner who was confused about something that happened with their car, and was scared by it.

Lets all try to remember that everyone adapts differently, and for many, this is their first EV so everything it does is magnified.

OP, I understood what you were trying to say with "violently off / violently on" even though those words tend to bring a certain view / response. Tesla's are rolling computers, so those of us who think of them that way tend to not be surprised by these type of things. There would have been more of an issue if it didnt turn back on, etc.

Good luck, you will get used to some of the idiosyncrasies of owning a rolling computer that doesnt try to hide the fact its a rolling computer.

Contrary to some posts I've read, the car is not a "computer on wheels"... it's a car. Yes it has complex electronics, but so does every car produced in the last few decades.

Traditional cars with complicated computer parts don't timeout like a computer does. They don't reboot themselves like computers do.

You can open your door and play the radio and those Traditional cars don't timeout and shut off radio and 12V accessories down like a Tesla does.

Yes, traditional cars do have complicated computer parts but they don’t act like a computer like a Tesla does.

Traditional cars while running at 83 MPH don't freeze up the instrument cluster (including the speedometer), don't freeze up controls and disable air conditioner, audio...

Last edited:
Traditional cars with complicated computer parts don't timeout like a computer does. They don't reboot themselves like computers do.
Sure they do. The first time I had a screen and digital speedometer go dark on me while driving was 7 years ago in a 2014 Grand Cherokee. Since then I've had similar events happen in multiple cars. It's actually common, as far as my experiences go.

I was in an Altima a few years ago and the screen went stupid at a red light. I shifted into park so I could restart the car. After shutting it down and turning it back on the car refused to shift into drive. Nothing in the car worked. I couldn't roll down the windows, turn on hazards, nothing.

Hell, I'm idling in my "traditional" car right now and one of my screens refuses to load any infotainment information and the other keeps giving me a no data pop up.

Technology is cool and all...but it has a habit of failing at the worst time. And the only thing you'll ever hear from a service department is "we couldn't replicate your issue." 🙄

Screenshot_20220622-180314.png

The infotainment system isn't responsible for driving. Yes, the car continues to work fine, including blinkers etc. You simply do not have any feedback inside the car.

If anyone with a Model 3/Y hasn't already experienced this, I recommend you do this one your own to be prepared. When you're one a slower, low traffic road - just hold both scroll wheels for a long 4 seconds.

Everything still works outside of the car, but the electronics inside will go blank/silent for a short time.

(moderator note)

Note that although I changed the thread title from "something scary happened to me" to the current title, I am not trying to intimate that the situation was not "scary" to the OP. No one can tell another person how to feel, or how something feels to them.

Rather, I have a very strong belief that a thread title should indicate what the thread is about, and "something scary" does not indicate anything about what the thread was about.

Many of us might not have found the issue scary, but the OP reported it was scary to them. New technology can be intimidating for some. I have a fairly decent "nose" for threads that feel like they are planted as trolling, etc, and this one does not feel like that to me, at all. It simply feels like a new owner who was confused about something that happened with their car, and was scared by it.

Lets all try to remember that everyone adapts differently, and for many, this is their first EV so everything it does is magnified.

OP, I understood what you were trying to say with "violently off / violently on" even though those words tend to bring a certain view / response. Tesla's are rolling computers, so those of us who think of them that way tend to not be surprised by these type of things. There would have been more of an issue if it didnt turn back on, etc.

Good luck, you will get used to some of the idiosyncrasies of owning a rolling computer that doesnt try to hide the fact its a rolling computer.
Thank you so much Moderator. Your words here, sound with the wisdom that I like to have, eventually with my T M3. Please don't get me wrong, I love my T M3, and I will continue to enjoy at the maximum possible levels.
As an example, on Monday I will take it with me to Orlando FL. I am already planning the trip. Please be also aware that beside my professional activities, I am private pilot holding an IFR multiengine license and I am flying right now my Beechcraft/Raytheon Super King Air 200B. it is completely with Garmin 3000 suite.
I am telling you and to all this prestigious community that I understand perfectly almost entirely what's going on here with my T M3. Anyway, Ty everybody here

Wifey was in the car when everything went blank. She reached over and tapped the screen, and it flashed on again. No big deal. There's no reason for it to stay on all the time unless someone's in there, so the car sounds like it's acting exactly as programmed.

In a few more months you'll be an expert.

The car will not go to sleep while it is charging, it needs to run the pumps etc. It should also not go to sleep while you're sitting in it as far as I know. I believe the infotainment just crashed, like it happens for some of us sometimes.

My car doesn’t go to sleep while it’s charging, but it will turn off the screen and climate control if I completely close the door. Latching it to the first of two latches will keep it awake. The screen and and climate will turn back on as soon as I open the door.

Reactions: GtiMart