Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Car turned off while supercharging

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
So I was in the Tesla superchargers station here in Aventura FL. I arrived at this Tesla station with 18% of battery. At 07:35 PM EST today June 21st, with the following lecture:
43KW 194 mi/hr +22KWh, 47% and 40 min remaining, the car went completely off. Blank, dark, suddenly and violently off, no light, no nothing, lifeless. Kaput. So I try to open my door with the normal procedure, not the emergency lever, and as soon as the door was opened the car immediately, violently went back to completely life. Could somebody tell me what could happened here?. By the way, I have an appointment Jul. 11 at 7:00 am at Tesla service facility. I sure sure will tell them what happened. I only hope that my Tesla was not manufactured neither any Friday afternoon nor Monday morning.

What does "violently off" even mean...? Like the car will go to sleep while sitting at a charger for a while, and when you opened the door it turned "violently on"??? Wouldn't that just be "waking up from sleep" like any normal computer or piece of technology? No different than turning your screen off on your phone, since the vehicle was still charging and functioning normally in theory. I think you are overreacting by taking your car to a service appointment since it sounds like expected behaviour and they won't find anything wrong in all likelihood.

Thank you all for your inputs. highly appreciate. I was trying to emphasized what I felt and saw this evening with my T M3. Alright I did not used the proper term. Let me try to picture you of what was it. Suddenly, without any prior waning light, message, signal, the car went completely off. As if you take a sound amp, and unplug it from the outlet wall. It was like a "full massive heart attack". And for no particular reason. Moreover this is not the first time I visit a Tesla supercharger station, and nothing like this had happened … yet... until this evening. And again, Regarding my profession and my company ownership, I know about technology. This was totally abnormal, Its ok. Regarding service, I have an appointment with service from other reasons, and I am going to take this opportunity to explain to them what happened. This way I can also learn, and from my learnings I can share this with all of you guys. Right? anyways, ty for listening/reading me

So basically the car did absolutely nothing other than power off? Sorry, violently powered off. And then when you opened the door the screens turned back on… violently…

Might be the most ridiculous thing I’ve read on here this year.
My apologize with you and the rest of the people here. As I said, No. 1, I am pretty new here in this forum. No. 2, I used that word, trying to emphasized, what happened with my car this evening. Again, please accept my apologize for been novice here. Ty

...nothing like this had happened...
Now that you've experienced the first computer timeout while stationary. Next:

I've had 3 different Tesla since 2012 or the past decade: Note that your car is a computer. It can freeze, and it can go dark even while driving at 83 MPH so don't freak out. Your propulsion system would continue to work fine, the Autopilot still continues to work fine even when the dead computer with no sound, no air conditioner... might make you think that the propulsion is dead.

Reactions: rpiotro
... the car went completely off. Blank, dark, suddenly and violently off, no light, no nothing, lifeless. Kaput. ...
Other posters have explained what you experienced. Unless you are expecting this to happen the shut-down of the system unexpectantly can be unsettling.

This habit of the Tesla to shut-down as you experienced ought to be more widespread knowledge. Anyway, prior to going on a trip, or once a month, I do a manual shut-down of the system. A reboot if you will. I'm not in my Tesla at the moment but there is an option in the menu system to do just that. I have no doubt some poster will inform you of the proper location shortly.

When you shut the system down, Don't Do Anything!! for a couple of minutes (door remains closed, no fiddling with the controls). Then open the door and do whatever you wish.

My understanding is, the "two steering wheel press reboot" only impacts the Tesla main screen.

Rich