Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Car turns off while driving

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

doghousePVD

My grandfather’s car
Dec 3, 2018
New England, USA
Started 2 days ago and happened dozens of times. While driving display go to “off” (lower left), all warning icons light up, lane display changes to parked car, for about half second, then reverts to normal driving display. Display does not black out.

No impact on driving, auto steer active, headlights stay on, etc. Happens while manual driving or autopilot, accelerating or braking, turn signals on or off, etc.

Slightly disconcerting. Anybody know anything about this or had similar experience?

Will try various reboots today. Not optimistic.

2018 X, firmware 2021.24.5

...Slightly disconcerting. Anybody know anything about this or had similar experience?...
If it ain't broke, don't fix it.

Your car is a computer on wheels so it can reboot its computer from time to time and I would not worry about occasional frequencies.

However, if it starts to do that quite often, it's time to fix it.

Do you have MCU2? If not, upgrading to MCU2 might be the cure.

I just read about someone driving a tesla suddenly had the announcement about a major drive failure and "Vehicle May Not Restart, Service Required." Advised to move to a safe part of the road and then the car shut itself down in the middle of a 6 lane freeway, all suddenly. The car was bricked, would not move. Cal Trans managed to help the owner get it off to the side of the road but the flat bed tow truck could not wake the car up to get it into neutral. They managed to get the front wheels up the flat bed but while being pulled up, the rear wheels were locked and were "chirping" up the ramp being pulled.

Saw it on Google News this morning from Jalopnik. "Electric Cars Need to Solve their Neutral Problem."

Hope this does not happen to me.

Reactions: impastu
If it ain't broke, don't fix it.

Your car is a computer on wheels so it can reboot its computer from time to time and I would not worry about occasional frequencies.

However, if it starts to do that quite often, it's time to fix it.

Do you have MCU2? If not, upgrading to MCU2 might be the cure.

MCU2 made it worse for me

Started 2 days ago and happened dozens of times. While driving display go to “off” (lower left), all warning icons light up, lane display changes to parked car, for about half second, then reverts to normal driving display. Display does not black out.

No impact on driving, auto steer active, headlights stay on, etc. Happens while manual driving or autopilot, accelerating or braking, turn signals on or off, etc.

Slightly disconcerting. Anybody know anything about this or had similar experience?

Will try various reboots today. Not optimistic.

2018 X, firmware 2021.24.5
Similar incident this morning:
After normal startup this morning, less than one mile into a drive, all of a sudden I got warnings: "Automatic braking disabled/front motor disabled/unable to drive". Stopped (no choice). Both screens working, but car would not move. Tried soft reboot - no help. Contacted roadside service. Promptly received message from Mariel - was asked to disconnect all USB items and try rebooting again. After reboot, same warnings and car wouldn't budge. Mariel asked for more information to set up a tow. Asked if I could try a hard restart. I was asked to adjust the tire size, which would result in another reboot. I changed size from 20" to 19", and reboot occurred. FIXED PROBLEMS, after which car drove normally with no warnings or anomalies on display. I have no idea what caused the problems - I must admit this is the first time in 7K+ miles I have had a driving problem. Has anyone experienced such a problem?
Cheers!
2020 X 100D