Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Car unable to start and now doors won’t open and charge port locked.

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
My 2016 Tesla model S 75D had a low voltage warning pop up and said vehicle may not start 2 weeks ago and said service required. The nearest service was 400km away so I could not take it in right away. A software update was released, I did the update and the warnings went away. Yesterday the low voltage warning popped up again and and said service required. I parked it in the garage and today the car is completely dead. Doors won’t unlock and I can’t plug in the car charger. Tesla app wants me to bring it in 400 km away to the nearest Tesla service garage. I’m not sure what to do since I can’t even open the car up. Anyone have any idea what is going on? The car has 74,000 km on it. Could this just be a simple fix replacing the 12v battery or am I looking at a major repair? If the car powers up after replacing the battery is it safe to drive the car 400km away to get the serviced? Or will I have to ship the car out? Pics attached were from last night when I parked the car in the garage.

Attachments

• 20D4B7F7-26C9-49E3-B84C-6E8FD45F99BF.jpeg
    20D4B7F7-26C9-49E3-B84C-6E8FD45F99BF.jpeg
    136.2 KB · Views: 268
  • 9157BA36-A368-4971-B7DB-7E40010EEC2D.jpeg
    9157BA36-A368-4971-B7DB-7E40010EEC2D.jpeg
    137.1 KB · Views: 91
My 2016 Tesla model S 75D had a low voltage warning pop up and said vehicle may not start 2 weeks ago and said service required. The nearest service was 400km away so I could not take it in right away. A software update was released, I did the update and the warnings went away. Yesterday the low voltage warning popped up again and and said service required. I parked it in the garage and today the car is completely dead. Doors won’t unlock and I can’t plug in the car charger. Tesla app wants me to bring it in 400 km away to the nearest Tesla service garage. I’m not sure what to do since I can’t even open the car up. Anyone have any idea what is going on? The car has 74,000 km on it. Could this just be a simple fix replacing the 12v battery or am I looking at a major repair? If the car powers up after replacing the battery is it safe to drive the car 400km away to get the serviced? Or will I have to ship the car out? Pics attached were from last night when I parked the car in the garage.

Sounds like the 12V battery. I don't know if the 2016 model has the 12V connection behind the tow hook cap or not. Applying 12V to the connection would pop the hood and give access to the battery.
No, it does not pop the hood. There is no such automation on 2016 model. After you get the nosecone of (if the car has that) you need manually move the locking latch to pop the hood. I think the OP has the facelift car and that might have the emergency handles behind the front wheel well liner on each side. By manually opening the hood you can get the access to 12V battery.

No, it does not pop the hood. There is no such automation on 2016 model. After you get the nosecone off (if the car has that) you need manually move the locking latch to pop the hood. I think the OP has the facelift car and that might have the emergency handles behind the front wheel well liner on each side. By manually opening the hood you can get the access to 12V battery.
Mine is a 2016 with the old software but the new body style.

Thanks for the info. I forgot to update this post. I ended up having to have the car towed to the nearest Tesla Service Center 425km away. It ended up being the battery heater and the 12v battery. $2000 cad bill in repairs which wouldn’t be so bad if the tow bill didn’t cost $1500 and a flight to grab it was $250. Atleast they gave me an Uber credit from the airport. Both my brow lights also went which they wanted another 4k to fix. I love my Tesla but I don’t think I’ll ever buy a used one again.