TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker or making a Paypal contribution here: paypal.me/SupportTMC

Car Unlocking On Its Own At Night

Discussion in 'Model X: User Interface' started by djglasser, Oct 10, 2016.

1. djglasser

djglasser New Member

I've had my Model X for a few weeks. I keep it plugged in at night with charging to begin at midnight. I've noticed recently that when I go into the garage (without my key on me), the car headlights are on, suggesting the car is unlocked. I'll lock the car with my fob, and then 30 minutes later, I'll notice the car is unlocked with the headlights on (side view mirrors in the "out" position).

Anyone experience anything similar?

2. Doug_G

Doug_G Lead Moderator

My Model S will often auto-present when I walk down my front hallway, which is next to the garage. It's seeing my fob through the wall! Maybe something like that is happening?

3. outie

outie Member

Is your key in close proximity of the car?

4. djglasser

djglasser New Member

The key is probably 25 feet from the car (sitting on the counter of my kitchen).

5. Gregkeys

Gregkeys Member

its possible the signal is being bounced or even possibly amplified by something in your house, try putting your key fob significantly further away or in something that will shield radio signals and see if it continues to happen.

6. K-MTG

K-MTG Sunshade Captain of TMC

Keep the key away from the car, both of them. The signal is very strong

7. andrewket

andrewket 2014 S P85DL, 2016 X P90DL (soon 100)

This is more than likely the culprit. After 8.0, the X seems to be responding to the fobs from further away.

• Informative x 1
    • Like x 1
  8. KBurbridge14

KBurbridge14 Member

Yes, and here's the answer: The SC just confirmed to me that there is a software "Bug" (his word) that is causing the vehicle to start up on its own, including the HVAC. He said it will be patched automatically during an over the air update tonight or tomorrow.

9. Gregkeys

Gregkeys Member

omg, i hope they don't have a lurch forward bug in the future, maybe I'll back in when we get ours.

10. nikeykid

nikeykid Member

my X also wakes up then immediately shut down at random times during the night. the lights will come on, then close, mirrors fold out and back in. there's about a 2-3% drain each night. I moved my keys far away and it still happened. glad its a known issue and will be patched.

11. gavine

gavine Petrol Head turned EV Enthusiast

I HATE that the car wakes up whenever I walk into the garage. The coolant pump starts, the contactor closes, lights go-on. This happens many times a day, unless I think to remove the key from my pocket. I'd rather it just unlocked itself in case I'm actually going to drive by allowing me to open the door but it shouldn't assume I'm going to drive it every time I get close to it.....and no reason to start everything up.

Also, our bedroom is directly above the garage and my wife keeps the key in the bedroom. For all I know, the car starts-up and shuts-down many times during the night. That can't be good for it.

12. jomo25

jomo25 P4398

Yes this needs to be fixed. Another side consequence I'm seeing if this it is causing my phone to act up.

2 resulting issues:
    1. If I'm on a call, the phone connects to the Tesla's Bluetooth. So sound and mic are redirected to the Tesla and I need to select the phone/BT headset back on the phone settings to get the audio back.

2. My music on my phone randomly starts playing on my phone by itself. When the Tesla starts up randomly, it is again triggering music player on my phone via Bluetooth. But because it's so brief, it is actually playing Thur my phone and not the car. This is probably partially an issue with the iPhone iOS but it wouldn't be happening if the Tesla wasn't auto starting itself randomly.

13. outie

outie Member

They can solve this by simply making auto lock location aware. There's no reason to have the car locked inside the garage. They need to give an option to "never auto lock at this location".

• Like x 5
    • Informative x 1
  14. gavine

gavine Petrol Head turned EV Enthusiast

THAT would be AWESOME

15. jomo25

jomo25 P4398

Ok really,is the waking on it's own problem going to be fixed? It's very annoying. It was suggested upthread a fix was imminent. Anybody actually get an update?

16. vandacca

vandacca Active Member

Seriously, no one has yet made any comments on the above statement? It's been over a week! :rolleyes:

• Funny x 1
  17. ccutrer

ccutrer Member

Oh my gosh I'm not alone! This is sooooo annoying. It's only happened once at night, but it scared the crap out of me cause the phone's volume was cranked up. It's happened several times during the day. I've found if I leave the car on slacker it's not a problem. But if your last source was USB, it seems to default back to Bluetooth until the USB loads (grrr... so slow!) Or if your last source was Bluetooth, obviously it will pick Bluetooth.

18. efusco

efusco Moderator - Model S & X forums

We've twice had the driver's side FWD open apparently spontaneously. Can say with certainty that a button wasn't pushed from a distance, but we found the car with the FWD open. I would love if there was an app alert that let you know if the door had been open for more than 5 minutes without any other in-car activity.

Also, we came out to the Model X from a restaurant where we knew the fob could not have reached and approached from the front and noticed that the windshield wiper had wiped during the rain that had been going on with nobody in the car. There are definately some ghosts (bugs) in the machine here.

• Like x 1