Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Car Unresponsive to Key and App

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hello! Wondering if anyone has had a similar issue or can point me in the direction of what to expect from the Service Center.

Car: 2014 Tesla Model S. Mileage 28,500

What happened: I left the car briefly (3 minutes) to run errands at a strip mall and came back to a car which was unresponsive to my key and would not connect to the app. Prior to the drive, the car was charging briefly and then drove 20 minutes to my destination with no issues. Had 90-100 miles at the time of the incident. No notice of low key battery.

I tried:
- Replacing the battery in the car key
- Calling Tesla support which could not bring the car online in 3 attempts. Car was offline for an unknown reason
- Pressing the key to the known parts of the car (sensor on driver panel, sensor on passenger panel, above passenger windshield wiper) to trigger door release

Afterwards, the Tesla service line recommended I tow to a service center as there was likely something wrong. Interestingly, the tow truck provider called me to tell me that once he took the car off the truck, the car was responsive to the key and he was actually able to drive it into the lot. The incident started at 7:15 PM and he was able to drive the car at 2:30 AM.

Pertinent recent repair information:
- LTE upgrade and touch screen flaw repair Sep
- Total battery replacement after a component failure mid Oct - Nov

Other information:
- I saw a "Key is not inside the car, will not be able to restart car after parking" alert briefly 3-4 days ago, occurred for 1 second when I was actively driving, did not recur
- I had issues with my key 1x maybe 2-3 weeks ago. I had to stand by my driver's side door for about 30 seconds before the car let me in. My app was connected at this time so I would have been able to use that as a back-up.

Any ideas on what I should ask the Service Center or watch out for?