Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Car very loud when on (buzzing/whirring sound)

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
My Model S is almost quiet when at a stand still. At most you will hear the condenser fans, AC compressor and maybe some vacuum pumps running now and then. It is sometimes hard to tell the car is on.

My Model 3 however is very loud when the car is on. In addition to the condenser fans etc, I can hear a loud sound coming out of the area around the headlights(?). Kind of hard to explain, but it almost sounds like a faulty electric motor or something. It is very distracting (although it can not be heard inside the car). I'm curious if any other owner can hear this or if it is just my car.

None of those. After some more experimentation the noise is clearly coming from the headlights. Whenever they are on the noise starts.

It is sort of hard to capture the noise due to the noise cancellation in the iPhone, but the noise sounds like in the video, just louder. Is it a deal breaker? Probably not. But it is much louder than my Model S. I'm just trying to find out if this is normal or if I should have the service center look at it.

Santa Clara SC gave me this today:

Concern: Customer states there is a humming noise coming from the front of the vehicle after it has sat for a long period of time. (customer has video)
Corrections: Exterior NVH General Diagnosis Conclusion: No Trouble Found
Recommend further diagnosing. Technician reviewed video and states the noise owner is hearing is coming from the coolant pumps. The coolant pumps are meant to turn on to keep the power converter cool. This is normal operation