Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Car Vibration Troubleshooting

Kee_Chain

Apr 28, 2019
Kokomo
My March 2021 MY has been having vibration/major road noise issues. Around 55+ mph, the car vibrates and the wheel shakes noticeably. August 24th, the SC did re-create the problem and their solution was re-balancing all 4 tires. However, this caused the car to vibrate again. If I drive the car 90-110+ mph (Just to test not regular driving), it feels like the whole thing is about to fall apart. The car is not stable or planted when at high speeds, like my Audi or Honda. I don't drive the MY aggressively or let it sit to cause flat spots in the tires. I have also never ran over a major pot holes to potentially bend a rim. I am stuck on what the problem could be. I was also thinking of potential tie rods and control arms fault. I have set another appointment with the SC.

Pianewman

Oct 28, 2020
Fort Worth
Did you ever have a non-Tesla shop balance the tires? Check for flat-spotting (from driving 10k miles out of balance).

This shouldn't be so difficult, if you get the car to the right shop. Discount Tire.

valmasu

Aug 4, 2021
Scottsdale, AZ
I posted in a different thread about this: my July '21 delivery MY was vibrating and pulling left then right (yes both directions) and the steering wheel was off by 5 degrees when driving straight from the lot after the delivery. After 3 trips to a local SC (don't get me started on that experience), it is better, but the car feels like on ice skates, not well controlled like all other cars we have, including my 16-year old's cheap Hyundai Sonata (yes, it steers better than MY). Also, still have vibration above 70 MPH.

Not sure what else to do other than start looking for a non-Tesla mechanic.

Pianewman

Oct 28, 2020
Fort Worth
valmasu: 3 trips to the SC is 3 more than I would have done. With virtually EVERY car I've purchased, I take it to an indie shop for alignment check. I'd estimate that 1/2 of the time, the alignment needed tweaking.

valmasu

Aug 4, 2021
Scottsdale, AZ
I'll have to find a good local non-Tesla shop and have them check the wheels, tires, balance and alignment. It is ridiculous I have to deal with this on a 3-month old car, but then it is a Tesla.

Stach

Mar 23, 2019
Madison, WI
I've had my Model Y aligned and balanced twice and the vibration at 55+ mph is still there. Sometimes it's basically gone for a while (maybe 10% of the time), but it always comes back. I had issues like this with my Model 3 too, so I'm wondering if it's the acoustic foam coming loose in the tires. The tire shop said no once, but they've also never removed the tire from the wheel to check, so how would they truly know?

All I know is my next set of tires will not have acoustic foam (most people say that it does nothing anyway) and I'm leaning heavily towards getting Vredestins as they seem to get fantastic recommendations around here.

Reactions: boulder.dude

eCharcoal

Aug 31, 2017
Chicagoland
It could be the foam detaching in the tire. Quite a common issue and Tesla knows it. I had the same issue and brought mine in the service center and it’s the first thing they checked. They removed the foam in that tire and ordered a new tire under warranty but tire takes weeks to arrive. I just started to feel the vibration again so I think another tire is starting to have the same issue.

Reactions: Stach

Products we're discussing on TMC...

About Us

Formed in 2006, Tesla Motors Club (TMC) was the first independent online Tesla community. Today it remains the largest and most dynamic community of Tesla enthusiasts. Learn more.

Do you value your experience at TMC? Consider becoming a Supporting Member of Tesla Motors Club. As a thank you for your contribution, you'll get nearly no ads in the Community and Groups sections. Additional perks are available depending on the level of contribution. Please visit the Account Upgrades page for more details.

SUPPORT TMC