Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Car Vibration Troubleshooting

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
My March 2021 MY has been having vibration/major road noise issues. Around 55+ mph, the car vibrates and the wheel shakes noticeably. August 24th, the SC did re-create the problem and their solution was re-balancing all 4 tires. However, this caused the car to vibrate again. If I drive the car 90-110+ mph (Just to test not regular driving), it feels like the whole thing is about to fall apart. The car is not stable or planted when at high speeds, like my Audi or Honda. I don't drive the MY aggressively or let it sit to cause flat spots in the tires. I have also never ran over a major pot holes to potentially bend a rim. I am stuck on what the problem could be. I was also thinking of potential tie rods and control arms fault. I have set another appointment with the SC.

Did you ever have a non-Tesla shop balance the tires? Check for flat-spotting (from driving 10k miles out of balance).

This shouldn't be so difficult, if you get the car to the right shop. Discount Tire.

I posted in a different thread about this: my July '21 delivery MY was vibrating and pulling left then right (yes both directions) and the steering wheel was off by 5 degrees when driving straight from the lot after the delivery. After 3 trips to a local SC (don't get me started on that experience), it is better, but the car feels like on ice skates, not well controlled like all other cars we have, including my 16-year old's cheap Hyundai Sonata (yes, it steers better than MY). Also, still have vibration above 70 MPH.

Not sure what else to do other than start looking for a non-Tesla mechanic.

valmasu: 3 trips to the SC is 3 more than I would have done. With virtually EVERY car I've purchased, I take it to an indie shop for alignment check. I'd estimate that 1/2 of the time, the alignment needed tweaking.

Reactions: Deutsch100
I've had my Model Y aligned and balanced twice and the vibration at 55+ mph is still there. Sometimes it's basically gone for a while (maybe 10% of the time), but it always comes back. I had issues like this with my Model 3 too, so I'm wondering if it's the acoustic foam coming loose in the tires. The tire shop said no once, but they've also never removed the tire from the wheel to check, so how would they truly know?

All I know is my next set of tires will not have acoustic foam (most people say that it does nothing anyway) and I'm leaning heavily towards getting Vredestins as they seem to get fantastic recommendations around here.

Reactions: boulder.dude
It could be the foam detaching in the tire. Quite a common issue and Tesla knows it. I had the same issue and brought mine in the service center and it’s the first thing they checked. They removed the foam in that tire and ordered a new tire under warranty but tire takes weeks to arrive. I just started to feel the vibration again so I think another tire is starting to have the same issue.

Reactions: Stach
Just had this happen recently. After experiencing the vibration after traveling 70+ mph, the car started vibrating violently to the point that my passenger seat was shaking. It sounded and felt like the back windows were down creating a pulsating effect, but worse. I took it to Tesla and they balanced all four, but the shaking didn't go away. Did some Google search and found that the tire-foam separating is a common issue.
Took it to a local tire shop to inspect all four. When they performed the weight and balance on the faulty tire, it was way off. They proceeded to take the tire out, and sure enough, the foam was separated. I debated to remove the foam on the rest of the tires, but they appeared intact so I just left them on.
After the foam was removed, they rebalanced the wheel, took it for a test drive, and the vibration was gone. The car drives like new again and can travel at higher speeds without the shaking. 😁

tire.jpeg

Last edited:
Just had this happen recently. After experiencing the vibration after traveling 70+ mph, the car started vibrating violently to the point that my passenger seat was shaking. It sounded and felt like the back windows were down creating a pulsating effect, but worse. I took it to Tesla and they balanced all four, but the shaking didn't go away. Did some Google search and found that the tire-foam separating is a common issue.
Took it to a local tire shop to inspect all four. When they performed the weight and balance on the faulty tire, it was way off. They proceeded to take the tire out, and sure enough, the foam was separated. I debated to remove the foam on the rest of the tires, but they appeared intact so I just left them on.
After the foam was removed, they rebalanced the wheel, took it for a test drive, and the vibration was gone. The car drives like new again and can travel at higher speeds without the shaking. 😁

View attachment 729444
I had the same issue and it turned out the insulating foam had separated from the tire. The foam was removed and voila! No more shaking!