Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Car was dead this morning after 3 days in sleep mode while plugged in

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
My wife and I were in New York City for three days. I plugged in my Model S on Thursday am and we returned late last night. When I attempted to drive the car this morning it was completely unresponsive -- the door handles did not extend, it did not respond Fob commands, and I could not gain entry. So I called Tesla service. Diagnostics indicated some problems that required service, so they immediately dispatched a platform truck to haul my car to the Rockville Service Center. As no Model S's were available as loaners I was directed to Enterprise rent-a-car which provided a Jaguar XF as a back up, courtesy of Tesla. I'm not the least bit impressed with the XF, but more on that later as a separate post.

When the tow truck driver arrived, the first thing he did was jump charge the 12v battery by pulling off the nose cone. With that everything started up. While we were sitting in the car Tesla Service called to say they were monitoring the situation and the 12v battery was not the only issue -- there were other problems that required service. So they insisted that the driver transport the car to the Service Center.

I don't have full diagnostics yet, but I had several advance warnings: error messages a few days earlier that the car needed service and the inability to connect the mobile app to the car starting on Thanksgiving day.

I'll post more as soon as I know what went wrong. But for now my hat is off to Tesla Service for providing the best of care under difficult circumstances. Couldn't be more pleased with their response, communications, and actions.

My wife and I were in New York City for three days. I plugged in my Model S on Thursday am and we returned late last night. When I attempted to drive the car this morning it was completely unresponsive -- the door handles did not extend, it did not respond Fob commands, and I could not gain entry. So I called Tesla service. Diagnostics indicated some problems that required service, so they immediately dispatched a platform truck to haul my car to the Rockville Service Center. As no Model S's were available as loaners I was directed to Enterprise rent-a-car which provided a Jaguar XF as a back up, courtesy of Tesla. I'm not the least bit impressed with the XF, but more on that later as a separate post.

When the tow truck driver arrived, the first thing he did was jump charge the 12v battery by pulling off the nose cone. With that everything started up. While we were sitting in the car Tesla Service called to say they were monitoring the situation and the 12v battery was not the only issue -- there were other problems that required service. So they insisted that the driver transport the car to the Service Center.

I don't have full diagnostics yet, but I had several advance warnings: error messages a few days earlier that the car needed service and the inability to connect the mobile app to the car starting on Thanksgiving day.

I'll post more as soon as I know what went wrong. But for now my hat is off to Tesla Service for providing the best of care under difficult circumstances. Couldn't be more pleased with their response, communications, and actions.

Sounds sort of similar to what happened to me. Not as long of a period left unattended, but I had charging issues and random error popups before the 12v just died when I went out. Service said that wasn't the only issue and I ended up getting a whole new battery. On top of that, it was back in a week later because there were some issues with a loose harness or something (from the chargeport).

Any of those symptoms seem similar? If sooo, maybe you'll get a new battery too :)

Sounds sort of similar to what happened to me. Not as long of a period left unattended, but I had charging issues and random error popups before the 12v just died when I went out. Service said that wasn't the only issue and I ended up getting a whole new battery. On top of that, it was back in a week later because there were some issues with a loose harness or something (from the chargeport).

Any of those symptoms seem similar? If sooo, maybe you'll get a new battery too :)

Yes, similar. Error messages with initial Tesla online diagnostics not showing any problems then total failure with the 12v not being the only culprit. I'd be happy to get a new battery:)

I had charging issues and random error popups before the 12v just died when I went out. Service said that wasn't the only issue and I ended up getting a whole new battery. On top of that, it was back in a week later because there were some issues with a loose harness or something (from the chargeport).

I had a somewhat similar story. No lengthy unattended period, but shortly after getting on the highway for a ~170mi trip, I got a warning about the 12V battery ("Car may not restart"). It went away soon after. The second time it came up, I pulled over and called Tesla. It went away while waiting for them to pick up, and they said everything looked fine, assuring me I was ok to continue to my destination. Later I stopped at a rest area to grab a soda, and when I came back out, the car wouldn't restart (as per the previous warnings). I called again, and we were able to get it started, but I was warned strongly not to stop until reaching my destination. Once there, I was advised to start charging at a lower amperage (theory being that this would help charge the 12V battery better). I did so, and later called again and was given the green light to bump the amperage back up. Later that evening, I decided to drive across town to show off the car, and right as I pulled into my friend's driveway, the error message popped up again. Sure enough, it wouldn't start. Per another call, I tried using a trickle charger. It didn't seem to help, so they arranged a tow for the next morning. In the morning I tried it one last time and it started up just fine. I drove back across town (where I'd left my UMC) and tried plugging back in, but I got a red ring around the charge port. They towed it to the service center and replaced the 12V, but later decided to replace the main battery, as well as a wiring harness. I was told that the root cause was a problem with the rubber seal where the battery contacts connected to the car, and they thought some moisture had made its way in.

Best of luck to you artsci. I hope you get your car back soon.

I know you've done a lot of modifications to the car, at least more than most of us. Possible there's electrical drainage from those mods?

Not an issue. Were talking about mlliamps. And the car has been parked unplugged for longer than this with no problems.

- - - Updated - - -

I had a somewhat similar story. No lengthy unattended period, but shortly after getting on the highway for a ~170mi trip, I got a warning about the 12V battery ("Car may not restart"). It went away soon after. The second time it came up, I pulled over and called Tesla. It went away while waiting for them to pick up, and they said everything looked fine, assuring me I was ok to continue to my destination. Later I stopped at a rest area to grab a soda, and when I came back out, the car wouldn't restart (as per the previous warnings). I called again, and we were able to get it started, but I was warned strongly not to stop until reaching my destination. Once there, I was advised to start charging at a lower amperage (theory being that this would help charge the 12V battery better). I did so, and later called again and was given the green light to bump the amperage back up. Later that evening, I decided to drive across town to show off the car, and right as I pulled into my friend's driveway, the error message popped up again. Sure enough, it wouldn't start. Per another call, I tried using a trickle charger. It didn't seem to help, so they arranged a tow for the next morning. In the morning I tried it one last time and it started up just fine. I drove back across town (where I'd left my UMC) and tried plugging back in, but I got a red ring around the charge port. They towed it to the service center and replaced the 12V, but later decided to replace the main battery, as well as a wiring harness. I was told that the root cause was a problem with the rubber seal where the battery contacts connected to the car, and they thought some moisture had made its way in.

Best of luck to you artsci. I hope you get your car back soon.

I certainly have had similar symptoms. Red ring several times, the same error message several times. The Rockville SC tells me they'll have a diagnosis tomorrow late morning. As I have a business trip Wednesday and Thursday I probably won't see my car until Friday.

- - - Updated - - -

Artsci, sorry to hear. Did you leave the glowing T on for too long??? :tongue:

It'a almost never off:)

Did you guys have your original 12V battery replaced? Tesla called me (2 months ago) and said there was a small recall on the battery and mine had to be replaced. They came out and swapped out the battery.

I think the recent cold snap has exposed a lot of 12V battery problems. I got the 12V warning Saturday AM after a 20 degree overnight. Car was plugged in, did not do it's scheduled charging. A lot of dash and center screen rebooting went on when I got in the car, but it worked fine for a day trip down to NC. Tesla SC Raleigh came and got my car today and left me a P85 loaner (whoo hoo -fast!). They told me it had to go back to the service center and they couldn't replace the battery on the spot, so I wonder if there is other stuff going on as well. Original 12V battery BTW, delivered in March.

I also go a call saying my rear tires are worn and need to be replaced. First I've heard of this for the 19" wheels on a non-perf car.

Tesla is still in the process of contacting existing owners regarding 12V batteries - I received a call this morning from the Telsa (Orlando) service center to schedule a time for them to come out and proactively replace the battery. Note, I have not (yet) experienced any problems related to the 12V system on my Model S (delivered February, 2013).