Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Car was hit by someone on the freeway. How much to repair guesses…

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

DrewHou

Tesla S|3|Solar+PW
May 11, 2022
Houston Texas
As the title says… I was hit by someone a couple of hours ago. Dodge Ram came into my lane and hit me on the freeway and I am so lucky that everyone was safe and no one was injured. Now the fun begins trying to get ahold of insurance and quotes. What’s everyone think I’m looking at damage wise?

2022 MS LR

Attachments

• 2A739CA8-929E-4501-8B56-48D43760CD28.jpeg
    2A739CA8-929E-4501-8B56-48D43760CD28.jpeg
    896.2 KB · Views: 195
  • F25739C2-6FBE-42C4-BDD4-92D997802388.jpeg
    F25739C2-6FBE-42C4-BDD4-92D997802388.jpeg
    663.8 KB · Views: 110
  • D3D4912E-540B-4E77-84D7-3738CB9DCDE8.jpeg
    D3D4912E-540B-4E77-84D7-3738CB9DCDE8.jpeg
    989.8 KB · Views: 111
  • E4C8C7C1-1B60-48BF-9885-0E894D39B7CC.jpeg
    E4C8C7C1-1B60-48BF-9885-0E894D39B7CC.jpeg
    926.4 KB · Views: 121
  • Informative
Reactions: ElectricIAC
It is but I have Tesla insurance and can’t even talk to anyone until Monday when they open and just was wondering. I’ve never been in this situation before and thought I’d ask the forums. I wasn’t expecting someone to give me an actual estimate.
Sounds like they were at fault? Do you have dashcam footage? If so, and you have their info (license plate at the minimum), it should cost you nothing.

As the title says… I was hit by someone a couple of hours ago. Dodge Ram came into my lane and hit me on the freeway and I am so lucky that everyone was safe and no one was injured. Now the fun begins trying to get ahold of insurance and quotes. What’s everyone think I’m looking at damage wise?

2022 MS LR
I would be more concerned with how long it's going to take the repairs to happen more so than how much it is. Just throwing a random number out because even a body shop won't promise an accurate estimate until they start disassembly to see what's damaged inside, but I'd be really surprised if that was under $20k.

The wait is what will be the sucky part. Just from a bumper job, hood, front fender and rocker panel on my old model 3, it took almost 3 months. Yours is much more complex than that.

Sounds like they were at fault? Do you have dashcam footage? If so, and you have their info (license plate at the minimum), it should cost you nothing.
They were at fault. The cop that showed up watched the video on my car and concluded I was not at fault. So I have their information and going to contact their insurance soon as well. Fingers crossed this truly doesn’t cause any out of pocket expenses on my end but I’m just so sad to see my beautiful Tesla in this shape.

They were at fault. The cop that showed up watched the video on my car and concluded I was not at fault. So I have their information and going to contact their insurance soon as well. Fingers crossed this truly doesn’t cause any out of pocket expenses on my end but I’m just so sad to see my beautiful Tesla in this shape.

If they are at fault, you have zero liability. Do not file a claim with your insurance, because you will have to pay a deductible if you do.

<as always, please remember that the at-fault insurance company is not your friend and their job is to pay you as little as possible to close out the claim. They are a business, and you are nothing more than an expense to them.>

New front and rear bumper, new fender, two new wheels, repair to rear quarter panel. Hard to tell if the headlight will need to be replaced or not. Doors look untouched. Maybe $8-9k? Looks like it's all cosmetic. How does it drive?

You won't have to pay a deductible if you're not at fault. Your insurance company will go after the other driver's insurance company and settle the outcome. I filed a claim with my insurance when my neighbor's gate flew off and put a dent in my Miata during a wind storm. They found her negligent of maintenance that caused the gate to fly off and they sent me a check for the damage. I wasn't charged a deductible.

Reactions: DrewHou
If they are at fault, you have zero liability. Do not file a claim with your insurance, because you will have to pay a deductible if you do.

<as always, please remember that the at-fault insurance company is not your friend and their job is to pay you as little as possible to close out the claim. They are a business, and you are nothing more than an expense to them.>
Good info. Thank you I’ve only had to deal with insurance once and that’s been many many years ago. Hoping since I have video proof of the accident, a text from the driver stating he was at fault, and police bodycam footage (via report number) of him admitting fault, I should be good.

Good info. Thank you I’ve only had to deal with insurance once and that’s been many many years ago. Hoping since I have video proof of the accident, a text from the driver stating he was at fault, and police bodycam footage (via report number) of him admitting fault, I should be good.

Unfortunately I've had to deal with 3 separate (other person was at fault) accidents in the past 5 years. I would personally suggest doing a consultation with an accident attorney in your area before you speak to anyone else and before you call either insurance company. They all do free consultations. & before saying you don't see any obvious physical injuries, I would really suggest you speak with them because if you don't have one on your side, the insurance companies have an army of them at their disposal to help them. I found this out the hard way thinking I was slick enough to deal with the claim myself on the first accident. Midway through I hired one, and the following two, after doing the police report, the first person I called was that attorney and was hands off. Example - the first incident took 4 years to settle. 2 & 3 were completely settled in less than 90 days.

Um. That all depends upon the State. Many States with No-Fault insurance pretty much always has one going to their own insurance company for the organization of getting the car into a body shop and repaired; the checks to the body shop come from one's own insurance company.

However, we all scream, "What about the deductible!" Answer: One's own insurance company, complete with lawyers on your side, goes after the at-fault driver's insurance company. When they pay up, which they do, you get your deductible back, your insurance company gets reimbursed for its trouble, and all is good with the world. This has happened to me. And, in the case where the perp was not insured or was under-insured, one's insurance (in a no-fault state) has a rider specifically for that.

I've lived in Massachusetts, NJ, and CA (briefly), all three of which were no-fault states, and that was how it worked. The one time I got rear-ended in Indiana which, at the time, was not a no-fault state, getting the perp's insurance company to pay up was like pulling teeth. Essentially, the crowd there (back in the 1980's, State Farm) had the attitude that if I wanted paying, then I was going to have to engage a lawyer. (They knew I was a starving college student and couldn't afford neither a lawyer nor the time to go after them properly, and were taking advantage of the fact.)

And that's another thing about States that don't have no-fault: The legal profession in those states tend to oppose no-fault with a burning passion, since getting claims paid in those states is pretty much a full-employment act for lawyers.

Dunno the rules in Texas.

• Helpful
Reactions: Eugene Ash and Sam1
So sorry this happened to you. Will provide you my still on going experience and hopefully it helps you in some way. Yes, tesla insurance won't respond until Monday. I crashed on a friday, filed the claim on the app that night and got a reply early monday morning. You will get a message in app and an email with your insurance adjuster. You will want to call this person for any questions that you might have. They are not responsive on the app or email. My adjuster was hard to reach on app and email but very helpful on the phone. My situation was a hit and run, my adjuster helped me track down the other driver and literally take care of everything regarding the money part after i provided them with dash cam. They also set me up with a rental automatically and that information came in through email as well. The only thing you will need to do other than providing a detailed description of the accident is finding a body shop to take your car to. Theres a recommended list the tesla gives you but I recommend going back to tesla's own body shops (this is different from a service center). Reason being that they coordinate super well with tesla insurance and its super hands free. You also get priority over other customers at tesla's body shop with tesla insurance so that is kinda nice. In the bay area i had to wait 1 month before the shop took my car due to back ups. Budget some time to call the shop every 2-3 days to check if theres earlier availability. I did that and it shrunk my wait time from 3 months to 1 month. Currently my car is in the teardown phase, tesla body shop provides you with an update monday wednesday and fridays. So far they havent missed an update. Again so sorry this happened to you, hope this post helps you in some way.

• Informative
Reactions: cbdream99