TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker and becoming a Supporting Member. For more info: Support TMC

Car wash around South Jordan, UT

Discussion in 'Mountain/Southwest' started by patrikr, Mar 15, 2017.

1. patrikr

patrikr Member

Flying to Sacramento this weekend to pick up a 75D Model X that's a lease assumption. Looking forward to the drive back and have looked at EV Trip Planner to plan my stops. Having our 3 month old with us I assume we'll have to stay overnight somewhere along the way so any tips on where to stay where we can charge would be appreciated.

That's not why I post though. For my current BMW X5 I have a monthly car wash subscription and especially at winter it's really convenient. Opinion on washing the X seem split between "treat it as a normal car" vs "if you use anything but hand wash you're committing a sin" so I'm looking for opinions from current owners on this. Also, any recommendation on car washes that would be safe to take the X to around South Jordan would be much appreciated as well.

PS. I'll keep hanging out in this forum and will try to join the next meet up.

2. DÆrik

DÆrik Member

First, Congrats on the X!

So I don't have an X, but did have an S and my 100D should be delivered on the 20th.

Anyway, I have not run my Tesla through a car wash. I have seen black/dark color Teslas at my detailers shop and they show marks very quickly from car washes. So I have hand washed every time or taken it to a car wash where I can just use the pressure washer to get the bulk of the dirt off and then finish with hand wash. If you went with a coating or paint protection film (such as opticoat or something similar you could consider a car wash I suppose. I wouldn't risk it though.)

That being said, if you are on a lease and don't care so much that would be up to you. I know people on leases that don't care so they go to car washes. I had a car wash subscription for my last car but canceled it when I got my Tesla...

Any touch-less car washes should be relatively safe. Not sure where any are in Utah though.

Not sure how much that helps, but that is my opinion.

Thanks Erik