Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Car wash complications (cash wash mode, key fob, charging port, etc.)

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
It looks like one must leave the keycard so the attendant can move the car. Remote start is not viable because the attendant will need to park between the vacuum station and wash station. If there is a solution I don't know about, please do share.

Car Wash Mode rolls up the windows, locks the frunk, charging port, and rear hatch. It also disables the wipers. However, the attendants need vacuum and to wipe down the inside of the frunk and hatch. If one does not use Car Wash Mode and just disable the auto wipers, the charging port will open when they are washing or drying the car.

Then there is the free roll and neutral thing.

So how does everyone deal with these issues at a car wash?

locks the frunk, charging port, and rear hatch. It also disables the wipers. However, the attendants need vacuum and to wipe down the inside of the frunk and hatch.
It doesn't actually lock the frunk and rear hatch. It closes them, but they can still be opened. And if the are opened, then on the Car Wash Mode screen the green bullets/dots next to them will turn red, to remind you to close them before washing.

Put it in Car Wash Mode and leave the key. If there's a conveyor belt, some people flip the shift lever to neutral while some tap the Free Roll button for the same result. The Fold Mirrors button is also on that screen for your convenience. Any other questions?

Reactions: snovvman
It doesn't actually lock the frunk and rear hatch. It closes them, but they can still be opened. And if the are opened, then on the Car Wash Mode screen the green bullets/dots next to them will turn red, to remind you to close them before washing.

Put it in Car Wash Mode and leave the key. If there's a conveyor belt, some people flip the shift lever to neutral while some tap the Free Roll button for the same result. The Fold Mirrors button is also on that screen for your convenience. Any other questions?

Great information! Thank you. Are there any differences between neutral and free roll?

Edit: Do you know if the keycard works while in the cup holder, or does it need to be physically behind the cup holder?

Change to my last answer, sorry: last time I used Free Roll, I noticed this message: "Automatic shift to Park upon exit disabled". If you stay in the car then of course it doesn't matter if you're in Neutral or Free Roll.

Thanks for following up. So if I have to get out of the car and allow the car to roll, Free Roll is the way to go? I presume Neutral will cause the car to go into Park if the driver exits?

Thanks for following up. So if I have to get out of the car and allow the car to roll, Free Roll is the way to go? I presume Neutral will cause the car to go into Park if the driver exits?

Yes, if you have to get out then Free Roll is the way to go. I don't know if there are any exceptions to the rule that it will go from Neutral to Park if the driver exits, but it makes sense for safety to have that happen every time.

My local carwash only hand washes Tesla. That works for me and only cost $50 including tip. Well worth it! They have experience operating Tesla, as I imagine most modern carwashes do. I put it in valet mode. I don't suggest subjecting any new vehicle to an auto carwash. Hand washing/waxing may cost twice as much but keeps the car looking fresh and new.

You'll probably want to vote and join the discussion here, @TSLY:

I've always taken my 2018 and my 2022 to a regular car wash, and they still look great. And so do all the other Teslas I see there. Tesla after Tesla after Tesla. No problem. Sometimes also a hand wash/wax, clay bar, etc. but it always starts with a trip through the tunnel.

Reactions: TSLY
Good "Car Wash Mode" demo. He doesn't mention the frunk and trunk can still be opened, but makes other good points like why the air recirc is important. (When I don't drive it thru myself because it's getting a full service wash, I still put it in this mode before turning it over, and around here they usually know about "Free Roll" themselves.)