Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Car wash drives model 3 nuts

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

SabrToothSqrl

Dec 5, 2014
PA
So... got the Model 3.
Went to the local car wash I use for my S.

It's an automatic touchless where a spray bar circles the car.

While in Park, the Model 3 must think something is going to hit it, because it beeps every time the bar gets close. Which, is great when NOT in park... but... annoying AF when you're going to the car wash.

this happen to everyone? I press the mute button and still no luck. Car still goes nuts.

thanks

• Funny
Reactions: Pkmmte
I've washed my Model 3 twice, first time was through a car wash with brushes... before I read on these forums that's a no-no! In addition to the sensors going crazy as I went through the wash, an alert was triggered as I pulled out of the car wash that my charging port door was malfunctioning, although it never opened during the wash. It opened and closed fine despite the warning message, and thankfully the alert went away the next day.

Then a few days ago, I washed it with power washer by "hand", and all went well until the alert came back shortly after. The door still works, but this time the alert wouldn't go away, even with a system reset. I called my local Tesla service center and they've ordered a new door to be replaced later this week. So I guess the safest way to wash the Model 3 is the old fashioned way, completely by hand! WIll be a pain next winter!

I'm not sure what's happened but the service advisor thought water may have seeped into the hinges?

Oh well, I absolutely love the car otherwise - but disappointed I'll be taking it into the shop before I've owned it for 2 weeks!

So... got the Model 3.

While in Park, the Model 3 must think something is going to hit it, because it beeps every time the bar gets close. Which, is great when NOT in park... but... annoying AF when you're going to the car wash.

this happen to everyone? I press the mute button and still no luck. Car still goes nuts.

thanks
Another reason to never use an automated car wash.

Thanks for the Christina video though. Looking good!

Dan

• Disagree
Reactions: SabrToothSqrl
So... got the Model 3.

thanks
You wash your Teslas at commercial car washes? That’s what driveways are for. You should be stripped of your S key fobs and your 3 key cards.

And you should be drawn and quartered for being off topic.

I guess I'll notify Tesla of the issue.

The "commercial car wash" provides me with plenty of clean water to wash my cars by hand. My well water is too hard to wash a car with - it destroys the paint. I've installed multiple filters and softeners, without success. My only choice is a $3-5k whole house RO system. OR a $320/year car wash pass.

So, please step off. All my cars are spotless and in amazing condition and well cared for.

Last edited by a moderator:
Stuff I would try:
* Reset MCU by holding down scroll wheels after getting in wash - I think this puts you in the same mode as when you open the door and get in but haven't tapped the brake yet. AC and stereo are powered but the car is not yet fully "on".
* Power off from settings - I can't imagine this wouldn't work to quiet the sensors but then you have no stereo or AC
* Unbuckle your seatbelt and lift your butt off the seat to trigger the "he's no longer in the car" code.
* Transport mode in settings

• Helpful
Reactions: scottf200
And some driveways drain into protected waterways, where they really prefer you not wash your cars. I too use commercial car washes, either touchless automatic (because no one wants to stand outside in 33degF weather to wash road salt off their car) or the by hand bays. Pressure washers either way. Hopefully this isn't a problem with all Model 3s.

...My well water is too hard to wash a car with - it destroys the paint. I've installed multiple filters and softeners, without success. My only choice is a $3-5k whole house RO system. OR a $320/year car wash pass...

I haven't had a chance to test the Model 3 in an automated carwash because there are no touchless automatic carwashes in my area for some reason. As a result, I've only washed my Model S and now Model 3 myself at home. Our municipal water supply is fine but I have found using rain barrel water works really well with much less spotting once dry.

Thanks. was getting frustrated at not solving the 'issue'. I'm just not sure why the car would alert the driver, if the car is in park... maybe other cars crashing into you in parking lots?

I am looking into rain water for home washing. It's naturally soft, so it should only need a filter. I spent $1200 to fix my Tahoe after finally figuring out that my washing at home was destroying the paint. The glass will never go back to how it was. Taken it to 3 detail shops. The sunroof would need replaced to fix it...

I'll get a video next time to demo the issue. It's my wife's car, so that may take some time, unless I ask her to video it.

The touch-less works well, especially when it's < 40 out, and your hands are freezing or you just don't have time. Thankfully, because I do actually enjoy washing the cars, I can use a hand bay with the same clean water, where I bring my own soap and microfiber tools. Touchless will never get it as clean as a handwash, but it works well to keep it clean in between when I can.

I've also looked into spotless car wash kits, that are like $700, but at that point I figure why not just do RO for the whole house? It's something I'm still considering, but the convenience of the car wash is high... Owning 3 black cars is fun...

I'd need a water meter installed to measure daily/weekly water use so I could get a tank for the RO big enough to supply the house. And with RO, every gallon of clean water it makes, 2 goes down the drain... effectively tripling my water use... so... that's fun...

• Helpful
Reactions: Icer
Thanks. was getting frustrated at not solving the 'issue'. I'm just not sure why the car would alert the driver, if the car is in park... maybe other cars crashing into you in parking lots?

I am looking into rain water for home washing. It's naturally soft, so it should only need a filter. I spent $1200 to fix my Tahoe after finally figuring out that my washing at home was destroying the paint. The glass will never go back to how it was. Taken it to 3 detail shops. The sunroof would need replaced to fix it...

I'll get a video next time to demo the issue. It's my wife's car, so that may take some time, unless I ask her to video it.

The touch-less works well, especially when it's < 40 out, and your hands are freezing or you just don't have time. Thankfully, because I do actually enjoy washing the cars, I can use a hand bay with the same clean water, where I bring my own soap and microfiber tools. Touchless will never get it as clean as a handwash, but it works well to keep it clean in between when I can.

I've also looked into spotless car wash kits, that are like $700, but at that point I figure why not just do RO for the whole house? It's something I'm still considering, but the convenience of the car wash is high... Owning 3 black cars is fun...

I'd need a water meter installed to measure daily/weekly water use so I could get a tank for the RO big enough to supply the house. And with RO, every gallon of clean water it makes, 2 goes down the drain... effectively tripling my water use... so... that's fun...

I know - totally off topic. But I was considering a smaller (non whole house) RO system and a well tank. I don't wash the cars that frequently, so a smaller RO filter with a 10 gallon /day production and a ~30 gallon pressure holding tank might do the job.

This won’t resolve the car’s klaxons but I use a water deionizer from a company called CR Spotless to wash my vehicles. The system has a resin inside that needs to be changed periodically but I find the cost reasonable and it literally creates mineral free (non potable) water to wash your car with. I can leave black cars/bikes to dry in the sun with zero spots. The system includes a dissolved solids meter so you know when the resin is due for replacement.

I’m unaffiliated with the company and I believe I bought it through Costco’s website. Might be something worth considering?

• Informative
Reactions: brkaus
I've read about those. Was thinking of pairing it w/the RO system for the absolute best water. I bought a TDS meter on ebay... I forget what my reading was, but can check again tonight.
I'm not sure it's in the budget this summer, but maybe next. With 2 cars on the monthly wash plan, it may make more sense to build my own.

The house would definitely benefit from RO though... our glass shower door is completely destroyed...

For whole house hard water issues a water softener is going to be more economical and less hassle and a lot of RO installers recommend installing a softener upstream of your RO to extend the life of your RO membrane. The RO can remove hard water minerals but they tend to foul the membrane. The main benefit of RO is the removal of trace contaminants. It's not necessary if you have good water quality to begin with and even if you don't you really only need it for the water you are planning to drink, so a small under sink unit makes more sense in most cases.

For rinsing the car the CR Spotless or similar DI will get you great spot-free rinse for lowest cost. The RO won't really buy you anything more in terms of washing the car. The filtration components used in the CR Spotless system are all standard off-the-shelf parts and you can probably assemble an equivalent system for less money than the CR Spotless kit costs.

We're building a new home in an area with very hard water but it's otherwise high quality so our current plan is to get a water softener for the house and I'll probably build my own DI system for rinsing the car. We *might* do an RO at the kitchen sink.