Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Car Wash Mode - Instructions!

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I've experienced the anxiety of approaching a car wash in my Model 3 numerous times. I find it hard to remember what to do, and how to do it (especially how to get into Neutral). Searching the web brings various bits of advice and video snippets, but I've yet to find a comprehensive, step-by-step guide on what to do.

So, I created one, printed it out, and put it in my center console for quick reference. It's relieved car wash anxiety for me. :) I thought others might find it helpful.

Tesla Model 3 Car Wash Mode.png

I've also attached this in PDF form for easy printing.

Attachments

• Tesla Model 3 Car Wash Mode.pdf
    270.2 KB · Views: 814
You don't have to put the car in park first to put it in Neutral, just hold the stalk down while in Drive and it will go. You can even do this while it's moving if you want to cruise down a hill without feathering the pedal.

The tricky thing here is that my car goes into "Hold" when I come to a stop, and you (apparently) can't go directly from "Hold" to Neutral. I wanted my instructions to be 100% idiot-proof, and going into Park first seems to be the best way to avoid that feeling of "huh, I'm holding the gear shift lever down for two seconds, why isn't it going into Neutral?!?"

The tricky thing here is that my car goes into "Hold" when I come to a stop, and you (apparently) can't go directly from "Hold" to Neutral. I wanted my instructions to be 100% idiot-proof, and going into Park first seems to be the best way to avoid that feeling of "huh, I'm holding the gear shift lever down for two seconds, why isn't it going into Neutral?!?"
That's a good point, I've never actually tried that. Making instructions for myself idiot proof is something I always forget to do, and it often backfires :)

I've experienced the anxiety of approaching a car wash in my Model 3 numerous times. I find it hard to remember what to do, and how to do it (especially how to get into Neutral). Searching the web brings various bits of advice and video snippets, but I've yet to find a comprehensive, step-by-step guide on what to do.

So, I created one, printed it out, and put it in my center console for quick reference. It's relieved car wash anxiety for me. :) I thought others might find it helpful.

View attachment 576650

I've also attached this in PDF form for easy printing.
I've not gone to a car wash yet, but I'm sure I will some day soon. I've not thought about what I would need to do, or how, so thanks for the instructions! And yes, a "car wash" mode would be nice.

Reactions: Airport Dog
@Glen90 and @justsomeguy

I gotta ask.....You two really have to print out instructions for how to get the car to do certain things and keep that printout in ur center console for reference ??....Seriously ?
We mock that which we become. I suspect you are young and your memory is something you take for granted; some people stay that way, many do not!

DYI on driveway, or Touch free laser wash without recycled water only!

NEVER EVER take you car to a washer with:

1. Conveyer belt passive movement of vehicle, many ways to ruin your battery pack and suspension.
2. Whirley rotating grill brushes and especially rotating drying rags, they will scratch your paint to basecoat
in a few uses.
3. Rotating hard bristle wheel scrubbers. The sensors will miscalculate
the location and take the paint off your front door and quarter panels.
4. One that uses refiltered water.

If touch free not an option, you can use a bay with DYI foam brushes and water gun as long as the
foam is flowing very strongly, make it a point to high pressure wash the brush before starting, and do
not ignore the pre-soak fluid for a minute and rinse very gently after that. Wash the top of car only hood and windows included, then the rest.
I carry a California Water Blade and a cotton towel in the trunk, I dry with these for that perfect finish.
I use microfilber only if I want to apply some spray polish at end, as these are way less
absorbtive than cotton.

Never use the vacuum cleaners there as you will need a trailer park grade mirror freshener after
the nicotine tar permeates your carpets.

If out of town a Google reputation search will point you in the right direction.
E.g. in my hometown we have five car washes and only one is always topped
up on all fluids and detergents, it takes very motivated owners not to give in to
the temptation of letting a few high school dropouts run the show.

Last edited:
Our local hand wash uses a conveyor system. No brushes or rollers to touch the car but it goes thru the tunnel on a conveyor track. I’ve used it many many times, no issues. <sarcasm> I know, I’ve completely destroyed my car. Might as well call Earl Scheib. </sarcasm>

They’re very well versed in all things Tesla. They just fold the mirrors, turn off the wipers and put the car in Tow Mode. Works just great. No directions needed.

There was a snippet in the Tesla v10
Software video about “Car wash mode” but it never materialized. At least we know it’s on the radar - maybe v11?

9435DE43-C9DF-45AF-9327-4BE084D5A666.jpeg

Lots of crazy error codes & damage caused after exiting a car wash. Especially scratching the wheels. Will look for the threads here and link them.

Also never use one of those touch less bays, they use recycled dirty water, I used one in Las Vegas and I had to do more work cleaning off the dirty water spots all over the car.

FIRST car wash = ruined tail light

Model 3 window trim 'damage' from 'car wash' or high PH...

Model 3 Performance Wheel Damage at Car Wash

This is the worst one:
Major system failure after car wash

Fred

Last edited:
DYI on driveway, or Touch free laser wash without recycled water only!

NEVER EVER take you car to a washer with:

1. Conveyer belt passive movement of vehicle, many ways to ruin your battery pack and suspension.
2. Whirley rotating grill brushes and especially rotating drying rags, they will scratch your paint to basecoat
in a few uses.
3. Rotating blah blah blah

If out of town a Google reputation search will point you in the right direction.
E.g. in my hometown we have five car washes and only one is always topped
up on all fluids and detergents, it takes very motivated owners not to give in to
the temptation of letting a few high school dropouts run the show.

Wow, now that was funny to read. Well done. I appreciate your sarcasm :)

• Funny
Reactions: LJDevonte
Has anyone tried tweeting at Elon for a "car wash mode" It seems like a very simple thing to implement and could save a lot of headaches for new or experienced owners. A simple button to push (like tow mode) which sets everything up so that it can go through a conveyor belt without damage or suddenly stopping. I personally put it in tow mode I think which seemed to work more effectively than neutral where I think you have to stay in the car or else it goes into park. Either way, it shouldn't be that hard.