Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Car Wash Mode - Instructions!

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
A 'car wash mode' setting would be good!
I had recommended that via Twitter not long after I got my Model X and right when the water started spraying and the dangly rags started dangling my wipers came on at high speed. I froze for a few seconds, not knowing what to do. And that was after the rollers started trying to push my car through in Park.

It really seems like a no-brainer addition to their OS.

Thanks to the OP for the pdf. I printed it out for the car, now I will likely not need it. I too have experienced the moment of panic when the rollers start and you cannot remember how to go to neutral because one does it so rarely. The last couple of times I have been through I know that I have forgotten to turn the wipers off, and they have not come on. Wonder if they are now smart enough to recognize car wash environment - not likely but who knows. I have also moved and taken my seat belt off and had the car go into park in the middle of the car wash. Now I take care to remove my seat belt before entry and then sit very still while going through the tunnel.
No apparent problems using the car wash, although I will only use one near me that was built in the last couple of years and uses all the latest car wash equipment. I believe most of the problems are from old under maintained, under invested car washes. There are some near me and I would never consider using them.

• Funny
Reactions: NOLADriver
@EmOne

Sigh, I wish. I had a 25 year old hottie call me "sir" the other day. I felt like going walk in traffic for a little while. But having to print instructions for how the car works is a bit Biden'esque on the memory processing scale. ;)

Seriously? Another post from you made solely to mock/insult @EmOne? Are these necessary? Do you feel better now, having made fun of someone on the internet?

Ok so you guys are talking about carwashes where you go on a belt/track and/or are getting whacked by brushes?
I thought we were told by Tesla and in this forum to never use them?
I only use the touchless washes. If you put the car in park the windshield wipers don't come on. Carwash mode isn't necessary at all. I want my mirrors open so it can spray all around them.

I've experienced the anxiety of approaching a car wash in my Model 3 numerous times. I find it hard to remember what to do, and how to do it (especially how to get into Neutral). Searching the web brings various bits of advice and video snippets, but I've yet to find a comprehensive, step-by-step guide on what to do.

So, I created one, printed it out, and put it in my center console for quick reference. It's relieved car wash anxiety for me. :) I thought others might find it helpful.

View attachment 576650

I've also attached this in PDF form for easy printing.

Step one is wrong. All you have to do is step on the brake, shift to N from D. This can be one in about one second.

Which one in Las Vegas did you use? One I use hasn't left anything on the car.
Let me look it up, was close to the airport,

Oasis Car wash on E. Warm Spring Road, stay far from this place. Nasty brown recycled water and at over 100 degrees in the wash bay the brown water spots dry up fast and hard to remove.

Which one do you use so I can go there next time?

Fred

Last edited:
The tricky thing here is that my car goes into "Hold" when I come to a stop, and you (apparently) can't go directly from "Hold" to Neutral. I wanted my instructions to be 100% idiot-proof, and going into Park first seems to be the best way to avoid that feeling of "huh, I'm holding the gear shift lever down for two seconds, why isn't it going into Neutral?!?"

When you car goes into "hold", if you want it out of "hold" for whatever reason, just press in the brake pedal again. You'll see hold disengage.

That's one way, but, in my X, the car has decided to jump from neutral to park when I've tried it. To avoid that problem, I recommend tow mode. Go to Controls, Service, tow mode, and make sure your wipers are off. The will allow the car to roll freely and it will not jump back into park. Then when done, put it back into normal mode by shifting into park.

I have a monthly account with my two local Zip’s Car Washes for unlimited washes. I’ve used them for the 6 months I’ve had my 2014 Model S.

They do a great job every time. They usually attach a sticker on your windshield that’s read every time you go, but on Mercedes and Tesla, they can’t be read. They just give these owners an unattached sticker to hold out the window.

They have a great “de-bugger” wand, and the wheels are always spotless.

Hold mode/Drive to Park: Lift UP on the right stalk halfway and hold for a second.
Whoa! Major error by me and am surprised nobody caught it. I meant that you can shift into NEUTRAL from Hold Mode or Drive by lifting up on the stalk. I would also reverse the order of steps #1 and #2; turn off the wipers before shifting into Neutral. The reason being is that if you are ready to put the car into Neutral it means your front tire(s) is probably engaged in the towing track. By then the front of the car may be getting sprayed with water and you'll have to fumble with the screen to get to the wiper menu.

Getting out of the car wash also can be tricky. I've found that you have to time it just right when exiting the track and putting the car back into Drive. More than once it has taken me two or more attempts to switch from Neutral back to Drive.

Getting out of the car wash also can be tricky. I've found that you have to time it just right when exiting the track and putting the car back into Drive. More than once it has taken me two or more attempts to switch from Neutral back to Drive.

Same. Not sure with the 3, but in my X I just have to slightly press the brake pedal enough to light up the brake lights, and then it allows me to shift back into drive. You don't have to do a full brake / come to a complete stop to shift out of Neutral.

Has anyone tried tweeting at Elon for a "car wash mode" It seems like a very simple thing to implement and could save a lot of headaches for new or experienced owners. A simple button to push (like tow mode) which sets everything up so that it can go through a conveyor belt without damage or suddenly stopping. I personally put it in tow mode I think which seemed to work more effectively than neutral where I think you have to stay in the car or else it goes into park. Either way, it shouldn't be that hard.

"Has anyone tried tweeting at Elon for a "car wash mode"..."

Do Elon or Tesla ever respond to requests?

Many owners, including me, have requested a larger type size for some touch screen items because we cannot read them while wearing our distance glasses. There has been no response.

Thanks to the OP for the pdf. I printed it out for the car, now I will likely not need it. I too have experienced the moment of panic when the rollers start and you cannot remember how to go to neutral because one does it so rarely. The last couple of times I have been through I know that I have forgotten to turn the wipers off, and they have not come on. Wonder if they are now smart enough to recognize car wash environment - not likely but who knows. I have also moved and taken my seat belt off and had the car go into park in the middle of the car wash. Now I take care to remove my seat belt before entry and then sit very still while going through the tunnel.
No apparent problems using the car wash, although I will only use one near me that was built in the last couple of years and uses all the latest car wash equipment. I believe most of the problems are from old under maintained, under invested car washes. There are some near me and I would never consider using them.

But we have been told that all the controls are logically arranged. If that were true, why would any of us have trouble going into "Park"? It doesn't seem to be a problem with other cars.

Has anyone tried tweeting at Elon for a "car wash mode" It seems like a very simple thing to implement and could save a lot of headaches for new or experienced owners. A simple button to push (like tow mode) which sets everything up so that it can go through a conveyor belt without damage or suddenly stopping. I personally put it in tow mode I think which seemed to work more effectively than neutral where I think you have to stay in the car or else it goes into park. Either way, it shouldn't be that hard.
There is a car wash mode in the model three. Go to mirrors and instruct to fold at this location, ditto wipers That is you need If you have trouble putting the car in neutral, well I have nothing to say.

Reactions: job-lek