Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Car Wash Mode - Instructions!

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Seriously? Another post from you made solely to mock/insult @EmOne? Are these necessary? Do you feel better now, having made fun of someone on the internet?

@AimStellar Hell yes they are. Lighten up Francis. I am just trying to lighten the mood. If you cant see the humor in grown adults having to literally print instructions for a two step process you need a humor chip. I cant even imagine some on here trying to operate a smartphone.

On another note, for the mirror folders. Consider letting the car enter and pass the presoak arch first and then folding the mirrors before the rotating brushes. Then the presoak foam begins working on the full window area. If you dont and you fold first then there will be a section of dirty glass where the presoak didnt touch it. Remember the carwash uses pH levels as one of its primary cleaners, along with friction. Thats why its so bad on your paint is the damaging pH levels in the soap. Its a crutch to use the friction less. Always a trade off.

I've experienced the anxiety of approaching a car wash in my Model 3 numerous times. I find it hard to remember what to do, and how to do it (especially how to get into Neutral). Searching the web brings various bits of advice and video snippets, but I've yet to find a comprehensive, step-by-step guide on what to do.

So, I created one, printed it out, and put it in my center console for quick reference. It's relieved car wash anxiety for me. :) I thought others might find it helpful.

View attachment 576650

I've also attached this in PDF form for easy printing.

GREAT! Thanks for doing that - I've had the same concerns.

I've experienced the anxiety of approaching a car wash in my Model 3 numerous times. I find it hard to remember what to do, and how to do it (especially how to get into Neutral). Searching the web brings various bits of advice and video snippets, but I've yet to find a comprehensive, step-by-step guide on what to do.

So, I created one, printed it out, and put it in my center console for quick reference. It's relieved car wash anxiety for me. :) I thought others might find it helpful.

View attachment 576650

I've also attached this in PDF form for easy printing.

You should also raise the suspension, as I do on our model S. Keeps it from getting scratched or damaged when entering the track.

There is a car wash mode in the model three. Go to mirrors and instruct to fold at this location, ditto wipers That is you need If you have trouble putting the car in neutral, well I have nothing to say.

Putting the car in neutral is not trivial. Also I believe you have to be sitting in the car or have seatbelt fastened or something like that (I have never used neutral as I used tow mode). The car washes near us have the car travel on rollers without anyone inside, going through water spray, soap spray and dryers. Someone then jumps in and drives it to be finished by hand. I believe the issue is that if someone has to be in the car for neutral.. this doesn't work. Tow mode gets over this problem but then it can be a little tricky for car wash guy to jump in and move the car after. Either way for a car wash unfamiliar with Tesla's a simple button to push to set everything up would be trivial to implement and save a lot of red faces.

@Glen90 and @justsomeguy

I gotta ask.....You two really have to print out instructions for how to get the car to do certain things and keep that printout in ur center console for reference ??....Seriously ?
I suppose if they did it every week it would become rote, but I think I would have a hard time remembering all that if I only did it a couple of times a year. I have no idea how to get my S in neutral, so this has me wondering....

Reactions: NOLADriver
Our local hand wash uses a conveyor system. No brushes or rollers to touch the car but it goes thru the tunnel on a conveyor track. I’ve used it many many times, no issues. <sarcasm> I know, I’ve completely destroyed my car. Might as well call Earl Scheib. </sarcasm>

They’re very well versed in all things Tesla. They just fold the mirrors, turn off the wipers and put the car in Tow Mode. Works just great. No directions needed.

There was a snippet in the Tesla v10
Software video about “Car wash mode” but it never materialized. At least we know it’s on the radar - maybe v11?

Thanks for showing the picture. It's nice to see how others do things. I was checking out your charging station. Is your charger in or outside of the garage? I considered what you did but then decided to put the equipment in the garage where it would be out of the harsh Florida weather. Tesla makes a nice hanger that you can see in my photo. I drilled a hole big enough through the garage wall below the hanger for the end to fit through and found the white piece at the hardware store covering the hole and surrounding the cable to make it look good.

Attachments

• 2020-01-10 12.17.23-1.jpg
    2020-01-10 12.17.23-1.jpg
    409.1 KB · Views: 114
Our local hand wash uses a conveyor system. No brushes or rollers to touch the car but it goes thru the tunnel on a conveyor track. I’ve used it many many times, no issues. <sarcasm> I know, I’ve completely destroyed my car. Might as well call Earl Scheib. </sarcasm>

They’re very well versed in all things Tesla. They just fold the mirrors, turn off the wipers and put the car in Tow Mode. Works just great. No directions needed.

There was a snippet in the Tesla v10
Software video about “Car wash mode” but it never materialized. At least we know it’s on the radar - maybe v11?

View attachment 576927
What's Wrong with this Picture? Your $60K car is in the driveway....so what is so valuable in the garage? :*)

Beautiful job! Our wall connectors (we have two now - one for the 3 and one for the X) are both mounted outdoors. They're fully weather-sealed so don't have any issues there.

If I saw a plate as nice as yours for passing the cable through, I may have considered an indoor mount... but then again, I'd be concerned about our small animal friends trying to come in out of the cold in wintertime, too. That's a bigger concern here than it is for you. :)

It's a little hard to see in my photo, but there's a white block attached to the side of the fence gate post. That's a connector hanger - similar to yours, but quite a bit smaller. I 3D printed it because it fits so perfectly there. Didn't really want the larger one on the face of the garage; it's a little more "out of sight" on the fencepost.

What's Wrong with this Picture? Your $60K car is in the driveway....so what is so valuable in the garage? :*)

I wish it were for something fancy - it's not, unfortunately.

The prior homeowner carved out the back portion of the garage and turned it into a sun room. The original home design had the basement steps in the garage; by creating the sun room, the steps are inside the home to open up access to the fully finished basement. Really works well.

Problem is..... the garage is no longer deep enough to park any cars inside. Didn't realize that till we moved in. Oops.

So - we park in the driveway and store pantry items in the garage. It is what it is... some things ya just have to cope with. :)

(Edit: for the record, the Model 3 is the "low end" car in the photo. The Buick Enclave behind it was actually more expensive.)

I’ve got scratches on mine just around the door handles from my fingers or fingernails or something, I don’t have any rings or jackets with zippers on the cuffs, but sure enough you can see very light micro marring... everything scratches

Yes - you're right, of course. But I meant scratches in a way I care about. The day-to-day stuff, I don't worry about because - like you said - everything scratches. My cars aren't garage queens; they're meant to be driven and enjoyed. Heck, I even take mine to public places like shopping malls and such.

If I ran a museum, I'd think differently...

But running it down the conveyor at the car wash doesn't do any more damage than, ya know, driving the thing.