Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Car Wash Mode - Instructions!

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Exactly! Had to replace the rear bumper as seat belt was off and reached around. Went into Park, jumped car wash bumper and car behind rammed the rear bumper; only hand wash now...

Wow! Did that car wash put you bumper to bumper?!?! I had an issue like that in my car wash - got up from the seat, car went into Park - but the car behind me was far enough behind I was able to get it back in drive and just creeped the rest of the way through.

@Glen90 and @justsomeguy

I gotta ask.....You two really have to print out instructions for how to get the car to do certain things and keep that printout in ur center console for reference ??....Seriously ?
Yes. Some of us have to do that. I also have a problem with all of the acronyms more experienced owners use. Please recall some of us are newbies so don't judge. Thanks.

This is helpful. Actually, I thought it was recommended we wash/have our cars washed by hand and to not use an automatic car wash. Interesting that some of you do wash the car through a car wash. Will consider. Appreciate the information.

I've experienced the anxiety of approaching a car wash in my Model 3 numerous times. I find it hard to remember what to do, and how to do it (especially how to get into Neutral). Searching the web brings various bits of advice and video snippets, but I've yet to find a comprehensive, step-by-step guide on what to do.

So, I created one, printed it out, and put it in my center console for quick reference. It's relieved car wash anxiety for me. :) I thought others might find it helpful.

View attachment 576650

I've also attached this in PDF form for easy printing.
There are a couple of other things that need to be done..(from Tesla service tech) Cover the gap in the left and right front cameras with masking tape. There is a big gap between the trim and the surface where the plastic threads or cords from the big rotating brush can hang up and pull the camera off. The second place is the charger door. Cover the gap as well with masking tape. Damage to paint in a decent car wash is not a valid concern for Tesla owners.

• Funny
Reactions: NOLADriver
@Glen90 and @justsomeguy

I gotta ask.....You two really have to print out instructions for how to get the car to do certain things and keep that printout in ur center console for reference ??....Seriously ?

As a friendly riposte, NOLA—I never fail to remember that adding a space between one's sentence and ending punctuation is always wrong, especially in English. Yet, you are adding unnecessary spaces between words and ending punctuation. Did you forget this rule? Did you ever learn it?

Everyone's memory is different. For me, the look of words and sentence structure is also stored in my visual memory and this is a powerful memory for me. My memory isn't great in all areas, however. Sometimes I need repetition to memorize something and other times it's a mnemonic association. There are many 'types' of memory and not everyone is great with all of 'em.

The really interesting thing here is that you probably still won't be able to fix this error even with this correction. Why? Your muscle memory will fight you, and it's not something everyone can fix easily if their brain isn't predisposed to memorizing said minutia.

Perhaps you could write yourself a note as a reminder. ;)

You can just slowly approaxh the entarance, as instructed by the attendant, then when they instruct to switch to neutral quickly press the brake and move the shift lever up a tiny amount and release the pedals. Your car will quickly show an, 'N' if you did it correctly.
I have mine set to automatically fold the mirrors at this location.

This is helpful. Actually, I thought it was recommended we wash/have our cars washed by hand and to not use an automatic car wash. Interesting that some of you do wash the car through a car wash. Will consider. Appreciate the information.

For years automakers had "Premium fuel only" on their gas caps. In bed with big oil
They always recommended oil changes every 3,000mi...Until they started packaging it as a sales tactic with free maintenance on the vehicle for three years, then all of a sudden it was ok for the car to go 7,000-10,000 miles between oil changes. Magic. When they have to pay for it suddenly its way less needed.

• Funny
Reactions: justsomeguy
As a friendly riposte, NOLA—I never fail to remember that adding a space between one's sentence and ending punctuation is always wrong, especially in English. Yet, you are adding unnecessary spaces between words and ending punctuation. Did you forget this rule? Did you ever learn it?

Everyone's memory is different. For me, the look of words and sentence structure is also stored in my visual memory and this is a powerful memory for me. My memory isn't great in all areas, however. Sometimes I need repetition to memorize something and other times it's a mnemonic association. There are many 'types' of memory and not everyone is great with all of 'em.

The really interesting thing here is that you probably still won't be able to fix this error even with this correction. Why? Your muscle memory will fight you, and it's not something everyone can fix easily if their brain isn't predisposed to memorizing said minutia.

Perhaps you could write yourself a note as a reminder. ;)

You got me buddy, your scholarly tales are amazing. Also your schemes to conquer your pre dementia are quite clever.

(Its still quite laughable to have to print a document for a two step procedure, punctuation Nazi or not)

• Funny
Reactions: ml0204
For years automakers had "Premium fuel only" on their gas caps. In bed with big oil
They always recommended oil changes every 3,000mi...Until they started packaging it as a sales tactic with free maintenance on the vehicle for three years, then all of a sudden it was ok for the car to go 7,000-10,000 miles between oil changes. Magic. When they have to pay for it suddenly its way less needed.

Premium fuel is needed for the higher octane necessary for higher compression combustion, especially with turbos. It's not like an auto manufacturer gets a cut of your gas fill up.

The "sudden" oil change interval increase to 10K miles was possible thanks to synthetic oil. Not "magic"; science.

On the other hand...
JFK had said, "We choose to go to the moon," and was assassinated. Did Elon hide the second shooter's body in Starman, and send him to the secret base on the dark side of the moon? What's really in Gigafactory #51??:rolleyes:

• Funny
Reactions: RayK
I've experienced the anxiety of approaching a car wash in my Model 3 numerous times. I find it hard to remember what to do, and how to do it (especially how to get into Neutral). Searching the web brings various bits of advice and video snippets, but I've yet to find a comprehensive, step-by-step guide on what to do.

So, I created one, printed it out, and put it in my center console for quick reference. It's relieved car wash anxiety for me. :) I thought others might find it helpful.

View attachment 576650

I've also attached this in PDF form for easy printing.

If someone wants to make a car wash list, I suggest that putting the car in neutral be placed LAST on the list. There can be some anxiety with a car behind you and the guy waving you to enter the car wash and you are trying to find the controls for the wipers and side mirrors. So take your time and do everything but putting it in neutral BEFORE YOU PULL INTO THE CAR WASH.

NOTE: I posted earlier some other things to do: "There are a couple of other things that need to be done..(from Tesla service tech) Cover the GAP in the left and right front cameras with masking tape. There is a big gap between the trim and the surface where the plastic threads or cords from the big rotating brush can hang up and pull the camera off. The second place is the charger door. Cover the gap with masking tape as well. Damage to paint in a decent car wash is not a valid concern for Tesla owners."

• Funny
Reactions: NOLADriver
Premium fuel is needed for the higher octane necessary for higher compression combustion, especially with turbos. It's not like an auto manufacturer gets a cut of your gas fill up.

The "sudden" oil change interval increase to 10K miles was possible thanks to synthetic oil. Not "magic"; science.

On the other hand...
JFK had said, "We choose to go to the moon," and was assassinated. Did Elon hide the second shooter's body in Starman, and send him to the secret base on the dark side of the moon? What's really in Gigafactory #51??:rolleyes:

Interesting. Then why does even my neighbors Chevy Malibu say Premium fuel only ? The vast majority of cars do, not forced induction, or high compression to prevent pre detonation.

Agree with you on the synthetic and its lasting qualities, except they don't include synthetic in the prepaid service when its included.

Here are my car-wash instructions, which I've printed out and taped to the center console:

Step 1: Don't take the car to a car wash.

But seriously, I often just clean the front and rear with Optimum No Rinse on a microfiber towel. For a full wash, here's the procedure that I've taped to the wall of my garage:

Screen Shot 2020-08-19 at 9.12.34 AM.jpg

Thanks OP, the guide is great for my wife to reference.

I personally prefer to wash using 2 buckets method, but it does take hours.

By using microfiber cloths, there's not need for two buckets. That is, I use one cloth, and once it's dirty I put it in the pile to be washed. I have one of those mitts, but it's unwieldy and heavy.

I fold each towel over twice, giving me 8 surfaces to use, thus, I only need a few towels. I'm pretty sure it takes me less that 20 minutes of actual work time (that is, without the wait for the suds to do their job).

Even the suds/wait/rinse/dry steps above (without any wiping), gets the car pretty clean.

One problem I haven't figured out: If I drop a microfiber cloth on the ground it picks up dirt and pine needles. At that point I figure I either need to pick out all the debris or discard the cloth (it doesn't come out in the wash).

Any ideas for fixing that problem?

I just read through the 4 pages of this thread and am amazed nobody else has set up a Wash profile. I use that to switch from Hold to Roll, and I believe it can set the wipers to Off (though I don't usually use Auto). With the mirror auto-fold set near the car wash, I just have to remember to switch to the Wash profile (takes about 2 seconds in Park) while getting checked in. As someone else mentioned, I can just leave it in D with Roll mode, and the automated roller pulls me through no issue. After I'm out I put it in Park again and switch back to my regular profile. If I forget that last step, I'll be reminded when it rolls at the next stop light, and I switch it back at that point.

Instruction sheet, fiddling around with Neutral, and a separate Car Wash mode not necessary.

Last edited: