Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Car Wash Mode - Instructions!

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
1 bucket car wash...
yJzvTD.gif

This 2-bucket method is especially critical for cleaning wheels without scratching them with break dust. But then again, I use 4 different brush types for the wheels alone (my Porsche wheels unfortunately have many crevices), so I may be over the top. :rolleyes: Be sure to use a wand spray, preferably with soap attachment, to wash car undercarriage as well.

For body panels, after pre-rinse, I dunk 2 microfiber wash mitts (1 on each hand) into the soapy bucket (#1), then clean 1 panel (ex. 1 door) at a time Daniel-san style, then flip the mitts to wash next panel, then rinse them together in the rinse bucket (#2) with grit guards, then dunk into soapy bucket, repeat. After a few rounds, you'll see the the rinse bucket has already darkened.

After final rinse, clay bar with quick detailer spray to pick up little grits, then buff, polish if needed, apply then synthetic sealant (I only seal once or twice a year).

I actually enjoy this ritual, but it takes a while and tests my wife's patience. Hence I just applied PPF for her mY, and it's off to the car wash with the printed guide for her! :p

I just read through the 4 pages of this thread and am amazed nobody else has set up a Wash profile. I use that to switch from Hold to Creep, and I believe it can set the wipers to Off (though I don't usually use Auto). With the mirror auto-fold set near the car wash, I just have to remember to switch to the Wash profile (takes about 2 seconds in Park) while getting checked in. As someone else mentioned, I can just leave it in D with Creep mode, and the automated roller pulls me through no issue.

If wiper setting also binds to driver profile, this is a great idea! But doesn't creep mode potentially cause you to move too quickly towards the car in front?

I just read through the 4 pages of this thread and am amazed nobody else has set up a Wash profile. I use that to switch from Hold to Roll, and I believe it can set the wipers to Off (though I don't usually use Auto). With the mirror auto-fold set near the car wash, I just have to remember to switch to the Wash profile (takes about 2 seconds in Park) while getting checked in. As someone else mentioned, I can just leave it in D with Roll mode, and the automated roller pulls me through no issue. After I'm out I put it in Park again and switch back to my regular profile. If I forget that last step, I'll be reminded when it rolls at the next stop light, and I switch it back at that point.

Instruction sheet, fiddling around with Neutral, and a separate Car Wash mode not necessary.

That is a pretty ingenious idea, to just create another profile called "car wash" with all those settings you mentioned. I will definitely be doing this.

So roll behaves exactly like neutral?? I've never used it so I want to be 100% sure before I make the profile!

On a completely different note, has anybody else installed the carbon fiber spoiler? I just installed mine two days ago, and I will now be completely paranoid about the car wash ripping it off!

That is a pretty ingenious idea, to just create another profile called "car wash" with all those settings you mentioned. I will definitely be doing this.

So roll behaves exactly like neutral?? I've never used it so I want to be 100% sure before I make the profile!

On a completely different note, has anybody else installed the carbon fiber spoiler? I just installed mine two days ago, and I will now be completely paranoid about the car wash ripping it off!
A lot of those spoilers are coming lose from the corners, I mean the ones installed by Tesla, a lose edge can snag on the corner of the spoiler by one of those cloth brushes ripping it off, another reason not to use a car wash.

If all possible, find a touchless car wash bay without the recycle water and wash it yourself.

Fred

• Helpful
Reactions: Siciliano

At the speed the rollers would take you through the car wash, Roll mode (in D) behaves just like neutral. Just make sure you don't brake hard enough to put it in Hold before they start up the rollers (if you do, just tap the brake again and it should take you out of Hold). I've been doing it this way a couple times a week for about a year now with no issues.

Oh, and one other change that I added to my Wash profile that I forgot about; muting the ultrasonic sensor "close proximity" chimes. Don't need all the dinging and beeping going through the wash, I know what I'm doing, car ;)

Sorry, can't comment on the spoiler, don't have one.

Last edited:
For years automakers had "Premium fuel only" on their gas caps. In bed with big oil
They always recommended oil changes every 3,000mi...Until they started packaging it as a sales tactic with free maintenance on the vehicle for three years, then all of a sudden it was ok for the car to go 7,000-10,000 miles between oil changes. Magic. When they have to pay for it suddenly its way less needed.

When I had to change my ICE timing belt at 60,000 miles, I wanted to replace it with the heavy-duty belt they used on the California cars, which were rated for 100,000 miles.

But nope, same part number. Turns out that the timing belt must last 100,000 miles by law, so they just printed a different manual for California cars lol

• Funny
Reactions: NOLADriver
A lot of those spoilers are coming lose from the corners, I mean the ones installed by Tesla, a lose edge can snag on the corner of the spoiler by one of those cloth brushes ripping it off, another reason not to use a car wash.

If all possible, find a touchless car wash bay without the recycle water and wash it yourself.

Fred

Yeah now I'm even more paranoid - the real carbon fiber spoilers aren't cheap. I'm not gonna be lazy anymore, I'll just wash it myself in one of those self-wash bays... we have a lot of them around here. I can get a little exercise in the process. Drying afterwards is a bit of a PITA, but I'll get over it. :D

Yeah now I'm even more paranoid - the real carbon fiber spoilers aren't cheap. I'm not gonna be lazy anymore, I'll just wash it myself in one of those self-wash bays... we have a lot of them around here. I can get a little exercise in the process. Drying afterwards is a bit of a PITA, but I'll get over it. :D
I use these as they are the best in immediately wiping down all of the water in one swipe. Best towels on the Market making drying so quickly and easy.

Chemical Guys MIC_781_01 Waffle... https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00BQYCIVI?ref=ppx_pop_mob_ap_share

I washed my car this morning already but next time I will post a video on using these waffle towels

Fred

So even after months of ownership, and going through the car wash I showed in my video, I STILL have anxiety. Like when I exit the car wash, the car behind me is so close you have to quickly tap break and put in drive. I always think I will be rear ended lol.. Anyway, massive thanks to Glen for the pdf, here is my video I did showing this: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3XhR120KyhA Next video will be my Model S full wrap. :)

Reactions: Wennfred
Why can't tesla just make a single button?

just tap.

done.
agree, only downside would be when you turn car wash mode off. So for example:

Press to turn on:
It brings mirrors in, turns wipers off and even could put you into neutral with a "Are you sure type of prompt"

Press to turn it off:
Bring mirrors back out, resets wiper mode to previous setting before being disabled. I do not think putting it in drive would be optionable. But other than going into drive, it would be pretty nice

Sounds like maybe the rear driver side door opened if you are able to lean back and close it. However, if a high pressure water jet hits the button to open the trunk/hatch....

Hmmm.... maybe I'll be locking all my doors when going through a car wash from now on.

So even after months of ownership, and going through the car wash I showed in my video, I STILL have anxiety. Like when I exit the car wash, the car behind me is so close you have to quickly tap break and put in drive. I always think I will be rear ended lol.. Anyway, massive thanks to Glen for the pdf, here is my video I did showing this: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3XhR120KyhA Next video will be my Model S full wrap. :)

If it makes you feel better when you exit the conveyor style car washes you are over the top of a loop sensor, it knows when you move, and also the distance between your bumper and the bumper of the car behind you (entry photo eyes) so it will stop the conveyor if you dont move and the car is too close. Its not 100%, $hit happens, but its pretty damm good at stopping in time.

If it makes you feel better when you exit the conveyor style car washes you are over the top of a loop sensor, it knows when you move, and also the distance between your bumper and the bumper of the car behind you (entry photo eyes) so it will stop the conveyor if you dont move and the car is too close. Its not 100%, $hit happens, but its pretty damm good at stopping in time.
oh, wow, thanks, I did not know that. I honestly thought it would just keep pushing them all through lol Like in the cartoons.

Reactions: MrShakeHands