Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Car Wash Mode - Instructions!

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
You don't have to put the car in park first to put it in Neutral, just hold the stalk down while in Drive and it will go. You can even do this while it's moving if you want to cruise down a hill without feathering the pedal.
Sorry if this was addressed but I went to a new carwash yesterday and I was surprised how close they put the cars together compared to and old one I've gone to. It seems like they are literally only 5'-6' apart. WHY does this matter? Because I as I recall you have to stop the car to go from N to D ... and I worry about the timing with a car close behind me. I don't think you can do it while in motion. Is my memory wrong on this?

A 'car wash mode' setting would be good!
I've not gone to a car wash yet, but I'm sure I will some day soon. I've not thought about what I would need to do, or how, so thanks for the instructions! And yes, a "car wash" mode would be nice.
Agree with "car wash" mode that did all 3 steps (Neutral + Wipers Off + Fold Mirrors). It is stressful when the M3 will NOT shift into Neutral from Drive and the conveyor belt is moving on the touchless car wash. The 3-step directions previously posted are nice, but try waiting 2 seconds for Neutral when the conveyor belt is moving and the car keeps shifting to R or P. Not sure if anyone else has seen this phenomenon, but I'm wondering if the Model 3 prevents the shift to neutral when it perceives the wheels 'rolling', ie, conveyor belt pulling the car?

Reactions: scottf200
Agree with "car wash" mode that did all 3 steps (Neutral + Wipers Off + Fold Mirrors). It is stressful when the M3 will NOT shift into Neutral from Drive and the conveyor belt is moving on the touchless car wash. The 3-step directions previously posted are nice, but try waiting 2 seconds for Neutral when the conveyor belt is moving and the car keeps shifting to R or P. Not sure if anyone else has seen this phenomenon, but I'm wondering if the Model 3 prevents the shift to neutral when it perceives the wheels 'rolling', ie, conveyor belt pulling the car?
I struggled with this exact panic for a while until I realized all you have to do is gently hold the stick up (before the “click”). It will go into N without issue and every single time. I even tested while driving, if you hold it up, the car will go in N and just coast. Works from any gear at any time.

I guess a good "car wash mode" is for me to find a good mobile detailer. Without TMI, I've got to limit sun exposure. There are lots of good ones just looking for business. These "touchless" car washes are not the greatest. And then they accidentally spray your interior with "bubble gum" fragrance. No more, not for me!

I have a driver profile called "Car Wash" I have the profile set to "Roll Mode", Wipers Off and Mirrors folded. On my car wash all 4 tires ride on a conveyor. I just drive the front tires on the conveyor and don't touch anything. The conveyor pulls the rest of the car in. Roll mode doesn't complain at all. No neutral, no tow mode. It just rolls in and rolls out the other end.

I have NOT tried this on the older car washes that just push the front drivers tire in a track.

• Helpful
Reactions: 5150 and scottf200
We use one nearby that is "drive in and park when light turns red" and the entire washing mechanism - complete with wash and rinse plumbing and various additives if you pay more - is mounted on a carriage that glides over the stationary car.

So no need to set nothing, you basically just park for a few minutes then drive through a hoop of air dryer blowers as you exit. Pretty cool.

They also have another drive-in-and-park carwash nearby in the opposite direction that is touchless, but it doesn't seem to wash the car as well and I'm not sure the even-higher water pressure sprayers are good for the car's joint and seam areas.