Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Car Wash Mode PLEASE!

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
These are brushless, so there are people inside who literally use mits to rub the soap/water on the car. My guess is that it’s safer without the potential of a driver hitting the gas and injuring the worker. Then after the car comes out they hand dry and detail the inside. Also, it sends us inside where they have junk for sale.

Brushless is normally brushless because people don't want swirl marks due to the brushes.... so they substitute people's hands for brushes?
Anywhoo…...

That has to be as uncommon as they come.

Brushless is normally brushless because people don't want swirl marks due to the brushes.... so they substitute people's hands for brushes?
Anywhoo…...

That has to be as uncommon as they come.
I meant that I was explaining a possible reason why we exit the car vs. an automatic car wash with brushes where you sit inside the car. We have both, but the better places here, ie brushless, with people working on the line, have you exit.

Once you lift off the seat the car goes into Park and applies the e-brake, which can cause damage as your car is dragged. Bad for the motors.

What? First of all, "Park" is the e-brake. There is no parking pawl like in an ICE transmission. Second, if a Tesla is in "park" and dragged along by the rollers, either the car will slide along because the track is wet, or the rollers will more likely slip under the tires and the car will remain stationary. In either case, there's no possible damage to the car or the motors (other than being hit from behind by the next car in the line if the Tesla doesn't slide along the track).

What? First of all, "Park" is the e-brake. There is no parking pawl like in an ICE transmission. Second, if a Tesla is in "park" and dragged along by the rollers, either the car will slide along because the track is wet, or the rollers will more likely slip under the tires and the car will remain stationary. In either case, there's no possible damage to the car or the motors (other than being hit from behind by the next car in the line if the Tesla doesn't slide along the track).
No, this is why Transport Mode, which keeps the car in neutral, for free rolling, exists, to prevent damaging the motors.

The car in park will keep the e-brake applied and be dragged, causing damage. The wheels lock and the car actually lifts when applied. The wet surface doesn’t make it ok.

The roller pushes one tire (from behind, not under), which moves the entire car forward. It does not remain stationary on a belt. The car must roll all four tires as if it was driving.

My car wash place immediately knew they had to turn on Transport Mode.

No, this is why Transport Mode, which keeps the car in neutral, for free rolling, exists, to prevent damaging the motors.

Nope. "Tow/Transport Mode" just releases the e-brake ("park"), puts the car in neutral, and most importantly doesn't re-trigger 'Park' when you get out of the front seat. Rolling the car in 'park' is just resisting against the e-brakes, not the motors. That's it. There's no "Park" in the motors themselves. You can't damage the motors by pushing them in any mode. Where did you get this info? Do you know how electric motors work? They are not like ICE transmissions with parking pawls (as I said before). I think you seem stuck on thinking that's how EV motors work. They don't.

I can roll the car in drive, neutral, or reverse and not damage the motors. I can't roll it in park because the e-brakes are applied, and that would take a lot of force to overcome.

Have you not seen the people posting above about going through the car wash in "Drive" and being pushed by the rollers? According to you, that would damage the motors. Doesn't happen.

My car wash place immediately knew they had to turn on Transport Mode.

You don't have to use tow/transport mode. You can, but it's not necessary, but you have to stay in the front seat. I drive through car washes all the time in neutral. My motors aren't damaged. I'm going to try 'drive' next time, though.

The car in park will keep the e-brake applied and be dragged, causing damage.

You love this word 'damage'. If the car is in Park and the e-brake applied, in a car-wash scenario, the roller will simply lift up the rear wheel and slide underneath. If the track is sufficiently wet and slippery on all four wheels, it's possible the car would slide along even in park, although that's not likely and I'm not going to test that. But I've seen the car 'hop' the roller while in park numerous times. That's how it's designed. No 'damage'.

Has anyone in the history of Tesla and car-washes ever had a motor damaged? Nope. If Tesla motors can be damaged by simply going through a car wash the wrong way, they did a phenomenally bad job at designing them.

Last edited:
Here's my "car wash mode":
Keep car in park
Grab mf towels
Grab Washmist
Wash car
Smile at a job well done.

When done regularly it's a 10-15 minute job.

20181027_101859.jpg

• Funny
Reactions: HankLloydRight
So the Model 3 has been delivered to new owners all year and I have not seen the "neutral" issue come up until now. Did something change to make it so difficult? I am currently in a Model S without any neutral issues, but will be receiving my Model 3 by December or sooner.

You love this word 'damage'. If the car is in Park and the e-brake applied, in a car-wash scenario, the roller will simply lift up the rear wheel and slide underneath. If the track is sufficiently wet and slippery on all four wheels, it's possible the car would slide along even in park, although that's not likely and I'm not going to test that. But I've seen the car 'hop' the roller while in park numerous times. That's how it's designed. No 'damage'.

Tesla did not design the car to roll while the Parking brake is applied. The parking brake is capable of holding a 4,000 lbs vehicle on a steep hill in place, yet you want to use it while being pushed through a car wash?

Just press Transport Mode and exit the car.

The comments about rolling in Drive, Neutral, etc apply when you stay inside the car. That is not what I am talking about.

+1

I normally place the car in Neutral while in a car wash but recently I reached into the rear seat to grab something and the sensors shifted me into Park, i.e. applied the ebrake. The car easily “hopped” the roller and I had to immediately shift back to Neutral. No damage to motors. No dragging. Pretty uneventful.

Reactions: HankLloydRight
+1

I normally place the car in Neutral while in a car wash but recently I reached into the rear seat to grab something and the sensors shifted me into Park, i.e. applied the ebrake. The car easily “hopped” the roller and I had to immediately shift back to Neutral. No damage to motors. No dragging. Pretty uneventful.
What if you didn't put it back in neutral? Or, what if the roller was either strong enough to push you (and possibly damage the brake/rotors), or you broke the roller's mechanism due to the strain?

Now, the truth is, a physical E-Brake button/lever would simplify everything and you just wouldn't engage it.

Tesla did not design the car to roll while the Parking brake is applied. The parking brake is capable of holding a 4,000 lbs vehicle on a steep hill in place, yet you want to use it while being pushed through a car wash?

You are completely missing my point. I did NOT say that Tesla designed the car to ROLL while in Park. But you've posted above how 'damage' can occur to the MOTORS when the car is pushed through a car wash while in Park OR in any other drive mode other than tow/transport mode. That is absolutely not the case. Even in Park, if a car is pushed against the brakes holding the car, THERE WOULD STILL BE NO DAMAGE TO THE MOTORS.

And I've said nothing about intentionally leaving the car in Park in a car wash, in fact I said that it probably won't work and is a bad idea. But in the case a car is accidentally put into Park (by lifting off the front seat, for example)... the result is not 'damage to the motors', the result is the rear wheel hopping over the roller.

What if you didn't put it back in neutral? Or, what if the roller was either strong enough to push you (and possibly damage the brake/rotors), or you broke the roller's mechanism due to the strain?

Like we've explained, the car wash rollers are designed to handle cars that won't move. They're wet and slippery and will just hop under the wheel. It happens everyday at every car wash. If for some reason the roller didn't hop under the wheel, there's likely a safety latch that either disengages the roller from the drive chain or shuts down the entire drive chain. Even if the roller and tire are completely dry, IT'S A ROLLER, it will just roll under the tire and go on its merry way. THESE THINGS ARE DESIGNED to handle all these situations without damaging anything. If they weren't they are really badly designed.

Just press Transport Mode and exit the car.

Like I've already said you do not need to use tow mode if you don't want to. The car washes around here all let me stay comfortably in my car where I can use Drive, Neutral, or Reverse.. again, WITHOUT damage to the motors (or anything else). It's a lot easier to just put the car in N (or leave it in Drive) than it is to put it in tow (free rolling) mode. And in the event the car pops into Park by accident, no big deal.. the car hops the roller and the next one will push the car forward.

The comments about rolling in Drive, Neutral, etc apply when you stay inside the car. That is not what I am talking about.

But it is what you're talking about if a car is put into park inadvertently. I don't know how many times I have to say it: NO DAMAGE WILL OCCUR.

Last edited:
Reactions: GeoX750
This thread is funny... however you may actually have the problem with the levers like a lot of us are having with the turn signals... they're connected to the same module. That said...

Here's the instructions from the manual:
"Push the lever up or down to the first position and hold it there for more than 1 second to shift into Neutral. Neutral allows Model 3 to roll freely when you are not pressing the brake pedal."

Reactions: longshot49
@HankLloydRight

I find it hard to believe that since the axle is connected to the rear differential, to the gear box and to the rear motor, it could not cause damage to something on the car if it is forced to roll, especially when applying the parking brake.

Even Tesla in the OM tells you not to tow even with 4 wheels on the ground as you can overheat and damage the rear motor.

14B1F815-574D-4419-A07C-6CAD163670E4.jpeg

Attachments

• 9C85FDAB-1166-460D-885B-801BE1ECDC31.jpeg
    9C85FDAB-1166-460D-885B-801BE1ECDC31.jpeg
    812.2 KB · Views: 44
  • Informative
Reactions: mspurplepurl