Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Car Wash Mode PLEASE!

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Where do you see that?

it is listed during the quick scroll through. i had to check on twitter and someone had a screen grab after slowing the video down
4D6031E0-45BB-4FB8-80DB-023E87A631DB.jpeg

Reactions: rlb4 and MP3Mike
First off, I had my car wrapped with paint protective film with the express intent of being able to go through those types of washes without having it damage my paint. (I heard Tesla paint is soft and cannot stand the brushing effect.) So don't judge me.

Neutral is very hard to master.

I like having Creep turned off, so if you have that on, Neutral is easier. Off it’s a nightmare. We’ve been programmed to hold our foot on the break anytime we shift or do anything to the car. By leaving your foot on the brake, it cancels out neutral with Creep Mode off. So I hold my foot on the break, move the stick up a little bit nothing. I hold it up further, it goes into reverse. Crud. Too far. Try it again only down this time, since it’s in reverse it’s only natural to want to go the other way. Still keeping my foot on the brake and still nothing halfway, then too far; Drive. Try it two more times in both directions with the foot on the brake and now I'm freaking out. The rollers have already cleared my car several times. The attendant has to stop the wash while others are behind me furious. Finally I take my foot off the break and find the perfect tiny little spot to hold the lever and N. Awesome! He turns the conveyor belt back on and I start moving.

Then he sprays my car with the bug pre-treatment. That’s when the automatic wipers take over. Of course I can’t remember exactly how to turn them off, so as I enter the wash he's yelling, "Turn your wipres off!" and finally he stops the belt again. See he has had wipers pulled off cars before and they have a policy that no car can enter with wipers on. I finally figure it out how to turn them off and giving him a thumbs up, he turns the belt back on.

Halfway through, the oscillating mitters grabs my drivers mirror and rips it forward. Needless to say I forgot to fold them in.

It’s an experience every time I go though it. I’ve got a monthly wash contract and I can go through every day. I’m getting better, but Carwash Mode is VERY much needed.

One more funny thing: I wasn’t able to wash my car last week and was out of town. Wifey decided to take it out for a spin with my niece. I told her she should take it through the wash and knock some bugs off. (No, it wasn’t because I wanted a good laugh, or a kick in the arse when I got home.) As I driving through New Mexico in my pickup with 1 bar of cell phone service, I get a call from my niece. It would seem they too are having the exact same problems I have had, and would like help. However, it wasn’t said in a normal, "Hey can ya give us a hand" voice. It was a mixture of my wife yelling in the back ground, the attendant saying try this, and my niece laughing hysterically. I lost signal and continued on my way…

Just leave the car in drive at the car wash. Neutral isn't necessary.

It works just fine.

I just had a nightmare at a carwash a few days ago. I was low on battery and while in tow mode I get a low battery warning and it goes out of tow mode and into Park. The car behind me was right on my back bumper. I could have sworn he was hitting my bumper, but checking later I didn't see any sign of damage on the bumper. On a prior occasion I had the car pop out of Neutral and into Park, even though I was sitting on the seat with the seatbelt on. I will never go through the car was in any gear but Drive in the future...and I mean NEVER! Of course I'll be sure Creep is off.