Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Car wash product recommendations please. Thank you.

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I use Meguiar's Gold Class Car Wash and a foam cannon. It's fairly inexpensive and easy to find.

I just bought some Meguiar's Gold Class car wash and have used it a few times. Like the way it suds up.

Will be having the car ceramic coated in August. Rep at the shop recommended their "pH friendly" car wash (to protect the ceramic coating). I did a little research and it seems this Meguiar's product is considered pH friendly. Anyone know for sure?

Ask 156,705 members and get 156,706 responses. 😁

Soap: Chemical Guys Citruis Wash & Gloss for the Tesla and Meguir’s Gold Class for the rest of the cars. Cobra hasn’t needed a car wash in years; it’s maintained differently.

Soap application: foam cannon with a 5 micron RV filter. (Have mild hard water and no softener system yet)

Soap removal: 1 micron RV filter with a typical hose/nozzle.

Post soap: Superior Formula 4 applied and rinsed prior to drying the car.

PSA: Maintain proper pressure washer muzzle control. One swipe on the back of the hand can hurt. 😖

If you want the least chance of scratches, use Optimum no rinse. Put the sollution in a pump sprayer, spray on the car and let it soak in a little. Put 30ml of no rinse in 5 liters of water, wash the car with it and use an ultra black sponge. Then dry with a microfiber towel and you're done. If the car is very dirty do a pre rense.

• Informative
Reactions: Thp3 and joebruin77
If your car is super dirty, then a traditional 2-bucket car wash using something like Meguiars Gold Class soap is the safest way to go . But if your car is lightly to moderately dirty, a rinseless car wash will clean your car without inducing any scratches. The most popular and original rinseless wash solution is Optimum No Rinse (a.k.a. ONR). Two others I have tried and liked are Wolfgang Uber Rinseless Wash and Mckees 37 N-914.

Plus, rinseless washes save a TON of water. This morning, I washed my P3D using a total of 3-4 gallons of water doing a rinseless wash using Optimum No Rinse with Wax.

Reactions: Thp3
I had been searching foam guns, then I came across a $15 foam gun from Harbor Freight, so I bought it and have used it about 5 times already, it does a great job and one might consider this rather than spending $50+ on others that do the same job. I use 3 oz of Chemical Guys Honeydew foam soap and wow does it foam and stay on the car. It also comes in a Watermellon smell if you want. I used to use a microfiber mitt to rub it in, now I use one of those microfiber long sticks with the round microfiber piece at the end, you can adjust the length of the stick and doing the roof of the car is a breeze and quick. After I rinse and dry off the car, I have used Turtle Wax Hybrid solutions spray. The car has an amazing shine, the water beads off like nothing I have ever seen. Best to put on 2 coats and it should last 4-6 months before doing it again. People are entitled to spend their money as they wish and if you want to spend thousands of dollars on ceramic coatings then it is your coin and do so. However, I challenge anyone to consider what I have done above at a fraction of the cost.

I use chemical guys melon scent and foam gun. I used to do two bucket method but instead use one bucket now and multiple mitts, one for front of car, one back and two for the sides. Less chance of scratching. I also use black light from chemical guys for black cars on my MS. I then use a blower to get majority of the water off and then microfiber towel dry any small areas left. Took my last MS to a car wash 4 weeks into have it and got a nice scratch that was very visible. With my new one I have not once had anyone else wash it but me and has been great since.

Since contributing to this thread in July 2021, I have changed how I wash my cars. I decided to buy an electric pressure washer, 1700psi, and bought the MJCC foam cannon to attach. All I can say is wow! You get much more foam than the foam gun, and it done correctly the foam remains on the car and is not runny like a foam gun, it is night and day. Costco sells a Turtle Wax product that is a foaming wash, it is now $11.99 for a gallon, best buy on the market for a foaming car wash soap. I have watched many videos on the matter, and determine the following:
1. Do not rinse the car at first, foam the car, plenty of water as lubricant. The reason you do not want to rinse first is that you are driving the dirt particles into the paint finish. The better car foam products when applied correctly lift some, not all of the dirt away.
2. Now rinse the car.
3. Foam again, this time use a microfiber mitt to scrub the finish. In fact if you clean your car regularly you do not have to scrub with the mitt, just use the power washer for the rinse anyway.
4. I use Meguilar hybrid wax and silicone product now, you just spray it on the wet car and it does its thing. I was skeptical at first, but no longer, it works.
5. Rinse the car which spreads the Meguilar product and washes some of it off.
6. Dry with microfiber towel. You are done. I do not use a leaf blower, too noisy for me.
7. You are now done with outside of car. You do not need the Meguilar product all the time, it lasts a few months.

can you please guide me on the mix ratio for foam cannon?
Maguire's recommends between 9:1 to 5:1. Personally, I do 7:1.

IMG_5478 2.JPG