Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

car wash recommendation?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hi folks,

I bought MX recently. Would like to hear your opinions on what car wash products/services do you use? I would like to use automated touch-free car wash at a local "76" gas station - but I am not sure how safe the chemicals and the water pressure are for the MX.

Thanks,
Osho

Many use a 2 bucket system for DIY washing instead of taking to an automated car wash with harsh bristles or harsh chemicals.

I use a product Wash Wax All, designed for airplanes that sit out in the open. Spray on and wipe off. Quicker to do in your driveway than taking it to a car wash. Has UV protection and a nice shine.

A step up is to have your car professionally paint corrected then treated with a Nano coating to make DIY touch ups easy.

Nothing special about Teslas that require you to wash it differently than any other car. It’s just a car. However you used to wash a car will be fine.

In terms of keeping the paint in best cosmetic condition, hand washing is best. Touchless machine wash is better than brush machine wash.

Nothing special about Teslas that require you to wash it differently than any other car. It’s just a car. However you used to wash a car will be fine.

In terms of keeping the paint in best cosmetic condition, hand washing is best. Touchless machine wash is better than brush machine wash.
I was looking into Gyeon products for when I get my Tesla, hopefully soon, a lot of their products apply a hydrophobic coating, but the Model 3 Manual has this warning.

"To add a hydrophobic coating to your vehicle's windows, apply the coating only to the side and rear windows, not the front windshield—doing so may affect the visibility of the autopilot cameras. Follow the hydrophobic coating manufacturer’s instructions for application details."

This would be very different from any other car I have owned, and was wondering if anyone had any insight into this warning. Is the warning talking about a different kind of coating than I am thinking about or should I avoid applying anything to the windshield, like Gyeon wet coat.

I've using the rinseless washes... mostly due to the whole California drought (pre 2023 of course). Gotta give credit to my boomer neighbor who keeps his 2015 Model X pristine, but yet I've never seen him outdoors washing it since he's a boomer and seems to hate clouds/outdoors (see below).

Optimum and P&S make some nice products. Basically you just mildly wet and sponge the car. Then maybe hit it with a detailing spray + microfiber. Saves a ton of time on drying and you can set up/prep super fast.

You'll still want to do an annual strip/clay cleaning to really get the grime off and maybe re-apply that ceramic or wax.

297.png

I don't have an X yet, that's for next year butttt, I'm a meguairs and chemicals guys user! Im a DIY "professional detailer" meaning I just copy the pros but probably nowhere near as good but better than average! Hand washing with a two bucket method is the way to go for sure! Ideally, paint correction, PPF and ceramic coating is best but not required unless your a OCD clean freak like myself