Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Car wash regimen - recs?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hi,

I bought Optimum No Rinse Wash for my X, a bunch of microfiber towels and one bucket.

This is how I wash my car all the time now. It's easy and super simple.

My process-

1) Put two capfuls of no rinse in 2 gallon bucket of water
2) drop a microfiber towel into that bucket.
3) follow the directions on the bottle and use the wet microfiber towel to wash the car
4) use dry microfiber towels to dry off sections of the car immediately after washing
5) the last thing i clean and dry are the wheels with the same microfiber towel i washed the car with

i found this recommendation on this forum and it's worked amazing for me for the past couple months with zero issues. this no rinse stuff is hyped up, but its really amazing.

+1 for ONR. Also used EcoSmart waterless which is similar.

Sometimes do a down and dirty McGuires car wash in a bucket whenever the cars are filthy. My cars are fully wrapped so I don’t worry too much about scratching and just use single bucket technique with grit guard, one brush, and a couple of microfiber towels. I also take the cars through touchless car wash if I’m feeling lazy.

Good on you for wanting to get into a self wash regimen!

Rinseless using Optimum No Rinse like TexasEV and one bucket method. Lots of MF towels. If I parked outside, I'm sure it would be once per week. But it being garaged, only needs it once every two weeks. Quick detailer (Duragloss AquaWax) in between as needed for dust, fingerprints, bird bombs, etc. The key is good, plush microfiber towels.

Your link doesn't go to the actual kit, so can't speak to it specifically. But you can do better than Chemical Guys. I would start small and add on as needed. ONR (which can be used as both rinseless wash as well as guick detailer), some good microfiber towels for washing (Rag Company makes good ones), one large drying towel (Griot's Garage PFM is an incredible drying towel), one 5-gallon bucket. And one package of cheap microfiber towels (I like the Costco ones for best value) for wheels and tires as well as door jambs.

Then add on as needed. Invisible Glass, interior cleaner, wax/sealant/coating, spray wax, foam cannon, etc.

Does ONR have any impact on the glossiness of the car?

I tried Wash Wax All on another car and it seems like the shine is not as glossy as it was before.

There is an ONR with wax too. Sometimes I would mix in a little Optimum Instant Detailer into the bucket of ONR and water for more shine. I actually emailed them about that and they said it made sense.

Does ONR have any impact on the glossiness of the car?

I tried Wash Wax All on another car and it seems like the shine is not as glossy as it was before.

ONR will not negatively impact glossiness. Give it a try. There is good reason why it's so popular and recommended by anyone who has tried it.

Hi,

I bought Optimum No Rinse Wash for my X, a bunch of microfiber towels and one bucket.

This is how I wash my car all the time now. It's easy and super simple.

My process-

1) Put two capfuls of no rinse in 2 gallon bucket of water
2) drop a microfiber towel into that bucket.
3) follow the directions on the bottle and use the wet microfiber towel to wash the car
4) use dry microfiber towels to dry off sections of the car immediately after washing
5) the last thing i clean and dry are the wheels with the same microfiber towel i washed the car with

i found this recommendation on this forum and it's worked amazing for me for the past couple months with zero issues. this no rinse stuff is hyped up, but its really amazing.

Only thing I will add is to use several MF towels. Take the first, fold the towel into 1/4ths, use one side to clean one panel, flip the towel to use a clean side on a second panel. Stop and dry the two panels. Then flip to sides 3 and 4 of the towel for the next panels. Once you have used all 4 sides, that towel is done for the session. Repeat with new towels as needed until complete. The key is to not re-introduce dirty towels into the wash solution. No need for a grit guard. And I cover the wash solution when I'm done and re-use the next time.

I had been using ONR with wax (the green one) and it is just so easy to wash the car. To make it even easier, I bought a squeegee and used that to dry the glass roof/back window/windshield. If I drive to the car wash, wait for the car wash, drive back... it will take 1 hour minimum. Washing the car now takes me about 20 to 25 min.

ONR will not negatively impact glossiness. Give it a try. There is good reason why it's so popular and recommended by anyone who has tried it.

Only thing I will add is to use several MF towels. Take the first, fold the towel into 1/4ths, use one side to clean one panel, flip the towel to use a clean side on a second panel. Stop and dry the two panels. Then flip to sides 3 and 4 of the towel for the next panels. Once you have used all 4 sides, that towel is done for the session. Repeat with new towels as needed until complete. The key is to not re-introduce dirty towels into the wash solution. No need for a grit guard. And I cover the wash solution when I'm done and re-use the next time.

i do exactly this. i oversimplified.