Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Car wash staff didn't want to send car through

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

Trnsl8r

S85 2012-2018, X90 since 2016, 3 since 2018
Aug 20, 2011
San Jose, CA
Just checking if anyone else had this happen...

My wife took our X to a new car wash, and they strongly urged her to do a hand wash. Apparently they had a previous X go through the regular wash and the spoiler got ruined. (Static spoiler, not the folding performance version.)

We've taken the car to the same company, different location, several times without issue. Possible they have different machinery, but just wanted to check if anyone else heard anything about this?

... regular wash and the spoiler got ruined....

The only "regular" kind that I know is the one with some thing that can touch your spoiler, get entangled, and break it off:

-15-platinum-wash-25-forexpress-wash-and-wax-andor-25-for-3031122-regular.jpg

Last edited:
These guys have some sort of felt brushes that works for Teslas. We've been taking our Model S there for four years with great results, so I trust them on the wash. (Classic Car Wash on Almaden for the locals) We've taken the X there a handful of times without trouble, but at the alternate location they showed concern and we ended up not going for it.

the only time i worry about touch-less is with a dark car...otherwise i don't care.

I go to a "goo-goo's" that's 500 feet away from the Tesla service center, and it's the same one that they use for their cars...definitely not touch-less. (I went through it twice last night because i had to have the wheels re-cleaned and the rest of the bugs removed)

i do not have a stationary wing.

I used a mobile guy for a while (SF Bay Area) but eventually stopped because I decided it was harder to schedule a time that worked for them to come when I was around than for me to drive to my local hand wash/ detail place every few weeks.

The three other companies I tried leave swirls on my solid black paint. Recently I have been paying Tesla $175 for the detail that doesn't leave any swirls.

We have a 2017 X with fixed spoiler, and I also worry about the spoiler getting tore off. I'm glad I am reading that this has actually happened, and I will only do touchless washes when I need to go automatic. I went through the automatic wash once since owning, and it was pretty rough. We now wash by hand on the weekends, and have a routine that works. Bringing our own bucket of soapy water, mitts, chamois, and towels, it takes about $3 and 12 minutes at the spray wash to completely wash and dry.

On this note, I wish the X came with a spoiler delete option. I would rather not have the spoiler, and just have the T logo be the center brake light. Evanex - can you come up with a spoiler delete kit?

Last edited:
From the Model X Owners Manual: https://www.tesla.com/sites/default/files/model_x_owners_manual_north_america_en.pdf
Page 166, Cleaning the Exterior says:
"Hand Wash Hand wash Model X using a clean soft cloth and cold or lukewarm water containing a mild, high-quality car shampoo."
followed by:
"Caution: If washing in an automatic car wash, use Touchless car washes only. These car washes have no parts (brushes, etc.) that touch the surfaces of Model X. Using any other type of car wash could cause damage that is not covered by the warranty."