Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

car wash

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
look for touch free ones , you dont want the soft touch messing with the paint. It doesnt clean as well but wont mess up the paint

Except some people say the touch free ones are too high-pressured, and apparently Tesla doesn't recommend them. Cloth ones are apparently best... (More seriously, my local Tesla dealership recommends Esso car washes that are not touch free, but do use the 'right' sort of material..whatever that is)

Hand wash. There is no safe car wash IMO. Touchless use pretty harsh chemicals, and while it doesn't "touch" your car it does "penetrate" your paint. Strips all your waxes/coatings/etc and eventually makes for getting scratches easier. Figure out a way to wash it on your own and you'll be much happier and so will your paint.

take it to a well reviewed detailer, they know how to wash it the right way. Make sure you ask them to seal it at the end so that it will stay clean longer. You can also look into a two bucket wash method found on YouTube and invest in some quality product that will wash and protect the paint.

I guess I should probably wash the thick layer of salt off my car.
IMG_20180106.jpg

• Funny
Reactions: jrad6515 and Whisky
Hi All,
Just purchased a new S and is needing the first wash. I am skeptical taking it to a car wash, but this really is my only option. Has anyone had problems and/or advice when you get yours done?
Thanks for your input!

Not from SoCal but up here in SF Bay area we use EcoGreen Auto Clean which uses the waterless system. Very happy with it (TeslaWash up here is another). I found a similar place in Gardena called Envi which I see is near Torrance that you might want to check out.

Envi

As I mentioned we don't do regular car washes, but if you go that route and are new to Tesla, research it here on the forum. I know you need to use a special setting on your car to go through the mechanical ones and recall reading if you shift in your driver's seat the sensors will interfere with that--I think believing you were getting ready to exit your car... Sorry I can't give more than a heads up to research ahead of time before you go.

Last edited:
I took mine in for a car wash after having it for two weeks. They told me that they have to hand wash it and when I saw the tools they were using I got worried. Took it home and about a day later I noticed a scratch on the fender. Not sure if it was from the car wash but after that I ended up buying a pressure washer and doing it myself. You don't know how good of a job they do with taking care of their brushes and towels.

My current setup is Greenworks 2000 psi pressure washer that I got from Lowes, you can find some of Amazon too but I think they are lower pressure like 1700 which in my opinion will do the job too.

Then just get the Chemical Guys EQP_312 TORQ Professional Foam Cannon and Honeydew Snow Foam Cleanser package from Amazon. The honeydew does smell great too and if you clink the link you will see other soap options they have bundled with the foam canon. Then just get the towels and other items that you prefer. Those are all up to you but the foam cannon get it from chemical guys cause there are others out there but the quality of the bottle and metal rings suck so they will break on you after a few uses.

PS, worst case scenario if you don't have the time to do it yourself, find a local car washer and I am sure there are a lot others can refer in your area on the forum. I use my buddies if I am completely busy and he does an awesome job.