Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Car wash

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
You can take it through a car wash. If it's one you stay in the car make sure the wipers are off and the car is in neutral and you sit in the seat. If it's one you get out and it goes through without you, you have to put it in tow mode. There is a button "Service & Reset" tab at the bottom of Settings. But I and most others are hand wash fanatics when it comes to these cars. Not sure what I'll do in the winter...

I've taken it to touchless car washes (i.e., gas stations where the cleaning is done through spraying only), and you just sit in the car without moving. That said, I try to avoid them if possible because you don't really know what they are using in these systems and it tends to hit the windows with the high pressure spray, which the manual specifically suggests against.

Most of the time I hand wash (two buckets, plus another bucket for the wheels). In the alternative, I take it to my detailer who does very nice work (hand wash).

I see you live in Huntington Beach. Might I suggest you also check in with MoeMistry about the protecting the paint, etc.

I've taken mine to the touches car washes. Haven't had a problem with them. The ones I go to is where you drive to the centre, put it in park, and the sprayer rotates around the car. Try to avoid the older track style.
(Although not a problem for you, these car washes really help out in the winter when the car needs a wash every few days.)

Mine has been opticoated and I have taken it through a regular car wash (not brushless) countless (50++) times with no issue in the 2+ years I have had it. I admit to being nervous the first time but since it was opticoated I felt it would not be an issue.

To the OP - as mentioned here, there are numerous threads/opinions on how to "properly" wash your Tesla. Two hints I read that I will pass along:

1. Raise your suspension (if optioned) to the highest setting so it is easier to get in to spray the wheel wells

2. Put your windshield washers into service mode in the settings screen which will allow you to clean that part behind the hood where the wipers hide

The paint is soft (as I'm sure you will read) so extra care is warranted. I've personally fallen in love with the touchless washes but don't want to start that debate again! :wink:

Avoid the car washes where you get out an and it goes on a track through the wash without you and is removed by an attendant. You have to put it in tow mode to do that, and the attendant will likely not be familiar with the procedure.

I do the touchless automated car washes as well, however I've noticed that they leave a film of residue, whether it is from road grime or the actual car wash detergents. I am very hesitant to rub anything against the paint but now there are places where that residue buildup is rather obvious and annoying against the blue paint. Considering getting a spray on, wipe off touch up wax and hope that it will lubricate any particulates left after the wash and prevent them from leaving swirl marks.

Or find a freaking professional detailer and let them have at it.

I do the touchless automated car washes as well, however I've noticed that they leave a film of residue, whether it is from road grime or the actual car wash detergents. I am very hesitant to rub anything against the paint but now there are places where that residue buildup is rather obvious and annoying against the blue paint. Considering getting a spray on, wipe off touch up wax and hope that it will lubricate any particulates left after the wash and prevent them from leaving swirl marks.

Or find a freaking professional detailer and let them have at it.

I've also found a residue on the vehicle if I do a TON in a row... say every day for 3-4 days...

I'll then use the 'hand wash' bay, and actually my own soap and do it by hand, and hand dry as well.

in PA winters, with snow, road salt, etc, you can't beat a drive through wash to just get the crap off!

I would recommend the two bucket hand wash method, but to answer your question no you don't need to do anything.... Your driving a tank.... Can't hurt it.

1. Recommend the two bucket wash also (even though I use the linkster modified version)
2. Yes, "Your driving a tank", but there have been too many horror stories/photos on this forum of effed up paint
3. I just don't let a car wash, detailer or SC touch my clear coat

There is no way I would put a $100k car into a roll-through or tracked car wash machine. :) Hand washes only by my auto detailer. If you run it through the machine washes, you will see swirl marks on your paint very quickly, especially if you have a darker color Tesla.

- K