TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker and becoming a Supporting Member. For more info: Support TMC

CAR WASH ???

Discussion in 'Mountain/Southwest' started by Tinky, Aug 20, 2015.

1. Tinky

Tinky Member

I am handicapped and cannot wash my S myself. I live near Carefree and would like recommendations for automated car wash tach is safe for my S.

2. Father Bill

Father Bill Member

I would recommend that you avoid any carwash that uses brushes or the swinging clothes to rub against your paint. Most touch-less (water jet) car washes should be fine. Many people avoid any car washes because of the soft paint, but any touch-less should get the job done for you. I will hand wash mine through the spring and summer, but when winter comes I plan to use a touch-less wash here in town.

Peace,
    Father Bill

3. mknox

mknox Well-Known Member

I tried a multitude of touchless washes and they were all pretty bad. As soon as the car dried, you could see it was still dirty. I hand wash as much as I can in the summer, but when winter comes, I've been using a "soft cloth" wash that works pretty well and has not caused any damage to the paint that I can see.

4. BerTX

BerTX Active Member

Several owners have had issues with wheel damage from the type of wash with tracks that pull the car through.

5. nh-srt8

nh-srt8 Member

I would strongly recommend that you avoid a certain one that I used. I live in Carefree and if you PM I will send you specifics.

6. mknox

mknox Well-Known Member

Yep, including me. I found one that utilizes a giant conveyor belt that you just drive on to. No more scuffed rims.

7. Paul8810

Paul8810 Member

I've found the classic Car Spa, N Scottsdale Road to be pretty decent. They have a belt conveyor so no rim scuffs.

8. Tinky

Tinky Member

Hello nh-srt8

i have seen a Tesla go through the big car wash on Scottsdale Rd. south of Carefree. Have you tried this car wash?

9. Panoz

Panoz Member

For a second, i thought you lived in my town because we have a street named Carefree. A city name would help future questions.

10. Tinky

Tinky Member

Yes I can understand the confusion. Carefree is a town/city in AZ north of Phoenix and Scottsdale. I didn't realize that anyone outside of AZ would respond.

11. tvuolo

tvuolo Supporting Member

What about a mobile detail shop? It could get pricey depending on how often you need it washed, though. I know there's a few around Denver that have deals if you buy 6 or more at a time, bringing the cost to about $20 / wash. I'm sure Scottsdale has some that are similar.

12. nh-srt8

nh-srt8 Member

I sent you a message with further details but this was a result of my car's first wash at a local "hand wash" car wash at 6 weeks of ownership in June. I sent you some recommendations but I will never take it to a car wash again. Some of these could not be polished out and the hood had to be sanded.

IMG_0078.jpg IMG_0075.jpg

13. Lloyd

Lloyd Well-Known Member

A quick Google Search found three mobile detail shops in Carefree AZ