Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Car width in Sydney?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I'm curious if any Model S owners in Sydney find the car's width large enough to avoid driving in certain areas or car parks? I'm considering a Model X which is even wider again and worried that car parks are going to make taking it out a pretty frustrating (or potentially paint scraping ...) experience.

The only mention I can find in this forum is the Taronga Zoo car park (which I know is fairly tight, despite being a new car park).

As far as I can see the X is one of the widest production cars that'll be available in Australia. It looks like the Australian standard for parking space widths is enough to fit the X with around 20cm either side (with mirrors folded), so I guess I'm more worried about ramps around multi-level car parks than the spots themselves.

I'm not in Sydney, but here in Adelaide there are plenty of places I would never park my model s, or any expensive car for that matter. I park further where the chances of damage are less, and walk.

I'm with you, paulp. Here in Vic there seems to be an almost unwritten rule that if your car is cheaper than the one your parked next to then fling your door open and wide! I can't tell you the number of dents and scratches I used to attract.

Now, I park miles away and walk. Good exercise and saves my paintwork. Especially my baby ... Tesla.

The model s is wide and some car parks are a pain - not the park as much as the kerbs that they put on the ramps. That being said if you take your time and have a good sense of the size of the car it's ok. In 15 months of parking in the city no scrapes or dings so far.

I'm careful about where in car parks I park - and which ones I park in.

The model s is wide and some car parks are a pain - not the park as much as the kerbs that they put on the ramps. That being said if you take your time and have a good sense of the size of the car it's ok. In 15 months of parking in the city no scrapes or dings so far.

I'm careful about where in car parks I park - and which ones I park in.

Thanks, that's what I thought may be the case. Definitely don't intend to take it grocery shopping, but there are times (planned or unplanned) where it's necessary to actually park somewhere :)

It's a case of how you value your car and the law of probabilities. If your preferences are transport and convenience the chances are that the look and value of your car will decrease proportionally.

Very true, although I certainly don't see a Tesla purchase (given the heavy reliance on technology) to be a purchase that'll hold value, and as a result I think it's something to be driven and not garaged.

I also think that keeping a Model X when the 4 year warranty period expires is a very risky proposition, so I see it as a purchase for an enjoyable 4 years.

Very true, although I certainly don't see a Tesla purchase (given the heavy reliance on technology) to be a purchase that'll hold value, and as a result I think it's something to be driven and not garaged.

I also think that keeping a Model X when the 4 year warranty period expires is a very risky proposition, so I see it as a purchase for an enjoyable 4 years.
We have no option other than take a tesla to the supermarket. Don't own cars for garaging. With the fall of the aussie dollar, my tesla's are now theoretically worth more on the market than I paid for them, so holding value well, but if I sold I'd have to find something else, and thats a problem after owning a model s.

This is going to sound a bit like an ad - though I swear it's all true ;) - but I find Summon very useful to avoid "compromised" car parking spaces. I usually try to park against a pillar so there is the maximum amount of space between my car and the car closest to me, to avoid door dings. Using Summon, I'm able to get very close to the pillar because I climb out of the car and have it park close to the pillar and then Summon the car when I'm ready to climb back in.

This is going to sound a bit like an ad - though I swear it's all true ;) - but I find Summon very useful to avoid "compromised" car parking spaces. I usually try to park against a pillar so there is the maximum amount of space between my car and the car closest to me, to avoid door dings. Using Summon, I'm able to get very close to the pillar because I climb out of the car and have it park close to the pillar and then Summon the car when I'm ready to climb back in.

If only I could get out of the car and let it find its own parking spot as well as park :)

Does your summon cut out all the time when reversing out when close to an object such as the pillar or another car, or does it back out completely first go? Trying to narrow down the issue with mine.

Does your summon cut out all the time when reversing out when close to an object such as the pillar or another car, or does it back out completely first go? Trying to narrow down the issue with mine.

No I've never had it cutout mid-Summon. I did have it stop working completely on the third day of ownership - as in the app reported that it could not connect to the car repeatedly and I couldn't get past that - but the guy at our local service centre told me to disable energy saving mode which I did and I haven't had a problem with Summon since then. I tend to stand right at the corner of the car when I'm summoning and walk with the car and, while it sometimes turns a bit away from me, which makes me back off as I realise it "sees" me and I don't want to create any issues, it doesn't stop moving. Sorry.

No I've never had it cutout mid-Summon. I did have it stop working completely on the third day of ownership - as in the app reported that it could not connect to the car repeatedly and I couldn't get past that - but the guy at our local service centre told me to disable energy saving mode which I did and I haven't had a problem with Summon since then. I tend to stand right at the corner of the car when I'm summoning and walk with the car and, while it sometimes turns a bit away from me, which makes me back off as I realise it "sees" me and I don't want to create any issues, it doesn't stop moving. Sorry.
Thanks for that. I took mine to a big empty carpark monday and with nothing around it, it worked perfectly. Then took it next to another car in the same carpark, and the usual 1 meter, stop, 1 meter stop occured. Clearly yours isnt doing that when parked close, so I think I can be clear now with the fault in mine. Hopefully the service centre will find it for me.

Thanks for that. I took mine to a big empty carpark monday and with nothing around it, it worked perfectly. Then took it next to another car in the same carpark, and the usual 1 meter, stop, 1 meter stop occured. Clearly yours isnt doing that when parked close, so I think I can be clear now with the fault in mine. Hopefully the service centre will find it for me.

Just a thought, but have you customised the Summon options to set it for tight as opposed to standard parking? That's how mine is set and, as I have a tight spot in my own garage, I've also set the bumper distance to 30cm. Maybe that has an effect?

Reactions: paulp
Just a thought, but have you customised the Summon options to set it for tight as opposed to standard parking? That's how mine is set and, as I have a tight spot in my own garage, I've also set the bumper distance to 30cm. Maybe that has an effect?
Yep set on tight, 30cm, 12m. Tried iphone and ipad, but both produce same result so I now know its not a fault with the app.

So after your suggestion Homer to activate tight, I wondered what would happen if I took it off tight. Didnt seem logical, but changed the setting to normal, and just did 3 complete forward and reverse movements of 6 meters each without a single stoppage! Euphoria is starting to set in, but you may have just caused me to have a properly functioning summon! Thanks!:) Can't wait to try it in other locations tomorrow.

So after your suggestion Homer to activate tight, I wondered what would happen if I took it off tight. Didnt seem logical, but changed the setting to normal, and just did 3 complete forward and reverse movements of 6 meters each without a single stoppage! Euphoria is starting to set in, but you may have just caused me to have a properly functioning summon! Thanks!:) Can't wait to try it in other locations tomorrow.

Awesome! I wonder what happens if you re-enable tight? Maybe the setting just need to be re-saved?