Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Car Wifi Signal

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Equally terrible on my M3P. Phone fines lots more than the car.

I’ve put a mesh router in the garage and the car gets that from the drive ok - have considered an outdoor router - but don’t want excess coverage of my network across the street and local area!

Surely the cost difference between these cheapo antennas they're using now and something with better range out of a mobile phone isn't an issue for Tesla? So why do they use them?

I'm not convinced it's just an antenna problem, although this has been discussed before and some would disagree. My reasoning is that a coat hanger cut to the right length would work better.

I think it's a combination of antenna orientation, antenna cable attenuation, PCB design, transmission power and the threshold signal strengths they chose. While it's software configurable, they may have gone for the lowest common denominator of all regulatory regions just to keep it simple. This isn't unusual.

Hence it's just a case of, they haven't been bothered to do anything as it generally works. This is something that needs regulatory sign off when substantially changed, it's what is actually transmitted that counts and not what the software thinks.

So long as it can connect to home, I wouldn't worry how many bars it shows or whether it can see the neighbours WiFi.

Reactions: candida
I think it's a combination of antenna orientation, antenna cable attenuation, PCB design, transmission power and the threshold signal strengths they chose. While it's software configurable, they may have gone for the lowest common denominator of all regulatory regions just to keep it simple. This isn't unusual.
Attenuation on the cable is my guess, and probably a RHD issue so Tesla won't fix it because they don't see a problem with majority of cars.

The RHD cable is over 6x the length of LHD (4.3m vs 0.7m length), and probably isn't higher quality to compensate.

Screenshot 2022-09-15 at 18.05.34.png

Screenshot 2022-09-15 at 18.05.55.png

Attenuation on the cable is my guess, and probably a RHD issue so Tesla won't fix it because they don't see a problem with majority of cars.

The RHD cable is over 6x the length of LHD (4.3m vs 0.7m length), and probably isn't higher quality to compensate.

View attachment 852813
View attachment 852814

That's a good point and absolutely causing loss.

Having used 10m cable runs myself for WiFi, albeit quality low loss cable, I haven't seen it perform so badly. Hence, I think they could have done better in all parts of the design if they really wanted. But yes, they clearly aren't that interested.

I'm going to bring this thread back to life.

I just took delivery last week (Nov 2, 2022) and was only able to connect via WiFi once. My router is within line of sight and I even tried to tether my phone but the Y couldn't detect a signal.

Lately, I've seen the WiFi signal say "Initializing" but then change to No Networks Found.

I'm thinking I just create a service ticket after I try a reboot?

I’ve seen this initialising message a few times recent- never seen it before in 2+ years. Don’t know if it’s a recent message.

But I did just try again and it connected - even though it said that it was already connected/green. At some point it just drops off though. Not quite line of sight and approx 30ft and never had these sort of issues before. So recent behaviour.

So will be interested to see what service say.

I'm not convinced it's just an antenna problem, although this has been discussed before and some would disagree. My reasoning is that a coat hanger cut to the right length would work better.

Hence it's just a case of, they haven't been bothered to do anything as it generally works. This is something that needs regulatory sign off when substantially changed, it's what is actually transmitted that counts and not what the software thinks.

So long as it can connect to home, I wouldn't worry how many bars it shows or whether it can see the neighbours WiFi.
Mines never connected to home. I use my phone and it’s a pain particularly when most of the time I regret bothering given the content of the update